Eating Calories Day Before a Long Run....

Options
tjalt
tjalt Posts: 24 Member
Last year when I trained for my 1st marathon I had such a hard time eating all the calories after a long run. Does anyone eat extra calories, say the day before, to kinda stock up? I'm assuming it will put me over my calorie limit on some days but it will all even out in the end. Any thoughts??

Replies

• bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm doing a longer run the next day, I'll try to get in some extra carbs the night before.

Do you bring anything along with you to eat during your runs?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I eat more the night before and have extra pre-run. And I don't worry about eating them all back the next day. I am not eating a bare minimum calories anyway, so having a deficit one day a week isn't going to be a huge problem.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    What do you eat during a long run? My longest run has only been 5 miles so far but I'm thinking about bringing water once I know I'll be out for an hour or more (within the next few weeks) and maybe a snack if I know I'll be out for 1:30-2+ hours. Suggestions for a first timer?
  • tjalt
    tjalt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do eat on any runs over 10 miles. Last year I gained 5# while training for my marathon and I think it's because I wasn't eating enough! Maybe I need up up my calories per day on here so that I'm eating more everyday. Thanks for the feedback!
  • whoosh1
    whoosh1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I usually eat more the day (or two) before a long run and do not eat back all the calories from the long run. I would try different things to make sure you get enough energy for the long run and still maintain you goal deficit for the week.

I gained weight my last marathon but I wasn't tracking and knew I was eating too much/unhealthy food. I was so starving with the hard training I was doing so I justified it to myself. Until I stepped on the scale after the race ... yikes.

Anything longer than 12km I will bring an energy gel or gummies (Gu, shot bloks, powergel). Depending on if I feel I need it I will have some. Yesterday I ran 16km (10mi) and did not eat my gel. I eat a bigger breakfast before going out on the long runs though. I will bring water/nuun with me for anything longer than 10km (6mi). In the heat I will always bring at least a small handheld bottle of water.

There are a lot of great 'on the run' energy products on the market, check out your local running store for ideas.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    During a long run (60+ minutes) you need to have something otherwise you'll bonk. Your body only has reserves for the first hour. I like energy gels (Hammer brand is my favorite - Apple and Cinnamon tastes just like an apple pie!). Take one every hour and be sure to drink water with it.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    During a long run (60+ minutes) you need to have something otherwise you'll bonk. Your body only has reserves for the first hour. I like energy gels (Hammer brand is my favorite - Apple and Cinnamon tastes just like an apple pie!). Take one every hour and be sure to drink water with it.

Was trying to reply to stylistchik's question above.