Pet Insurance

Options
♥Faerie♥
♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
Does anyone here have insurance for their pet? I am thinking about getting a policy for Freya, I worry since she is a french bulldog and is subjective to some pretty pricey health issues, and think this might be a good idea in case she does develop something later on. I have done a little research but just wanted to know if anyone else had any recommendations for a good company...

Replies

• ericjr7210
    ericjr7210 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had pet insurance on my 2 Beagles (I think it was VIP Insurance). After the year of vet bills and monthly payments for the insurance, I would have walked away with an extra $25 if I did not get the insurance. I ended up cancelling the policy as after a year they only go to the vet twice a year. The insurance covered most items. I did not have any issues with payment of claims or any outlandish issues with the dogs either.
    You have to look at it based on your breeds average medical conditions. Also keep in mind that Pet insurance covers for different things and most will not cover genetic disorders. The more they cover the more you will pay. I know it eas easy to say but if you were to put that money aside each month you may do better in the long run. Look and compaire the different policies and see what works best for you.
    Good luck
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    We insure our 4 Sibes with PetPlan, they're a bit dearer than some others but their small print is really good. I'm in the UK though, not sure if PP are anywhere else.
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have two cats, one who has slow-growing skin cancer (has a tumor removed about once every 2-3 years).

I thought about pet insurance, but instead I just put $40/month in a bank account that is for vet visits and pet emergencies. So far, I have not had to dip into my regular bank account to pay for anything vet-related, and I am building up some savings in the account that should pay for my cat's next surgery, whenever it is that she needs one.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    Options
    I have thought of trying to just put money aside, but I just really suck at that! Also, even if I put around $50 a month aside, it still would not even come close to covering something like hip surgery that usually cost upwards of $5-6000, and since French bulldogs normally have issues with things like this, I really want to be prepared in case Freya ever has problems. I have narrowed it down to two different companies, both of which will cover genetic issues with Frenchies..Petplan is one that Lat100 had mentioned, and healthpaws.....they are both around $29-$35 a month, with $250 deductible.
    Kinda sad that I am looking at Ins for my little furry child before myself, but I have a choice and she does not, and I would hate for her to be in pain just cause I could not afford the vet!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you will still have to pay for all services up front and wait to be reimbursed by the insurance company. Most do not cover pre-existing conditions and they also do not cover things like wellness exams or vaccinations. But in an emergency it's a great thing to have.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    Options
    Yeah, I have found out that you do have to pay up front, but to have most of it reimbursed would help out tremendously! and I just do not want to be stuck if there is an emergency♥
  • ericjr7210
    ericjr7210 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    not trying to make your decision tougher but if you get sick and have no insurance then you will not be able to take care of your pet either. Not saying you should not care for your pet but don't sell yourself short either. If your pet has a genitic disorder like that they may not cover, make sure you check the fine print....
  • ♥Faerie♥
    Options
    I totally agree with you eric, however, that's a chance I have to take right now, the ins my work has is insane, the deductible alone is $3000....so not worth it just for myself, and any other plan I have looked into I just simply cannot afford....they make it hard to live when you do not have kids and you work full time.....if I could find ins for myself for $30 monthly, I would consider it....
  • Shalva
    Shalva Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    7 of my 9 dogs are insured with Embrace... the nice thing about them is you talk to a real person AND the deductible is an annual deductible and not a per incident deductible... I have been very happy with them and honestly for me .... we have had about $25,000 in vet expenses over the last 4 years.. and it is peace of mind as much as anything and with 9 dogs there is always going to be vet bills.
  • Perfection_xoxo
    Perfection_xoxo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey I did a ton of research, and out of all the pet insurances was deciding between Petplan or Embrace. In the end, I chose Embrace. It looks like it's the best, and I hope it is. Check it out and decide for yourself. www.embracepetinsurance.com
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I checked out a lot of different insurance companies and discount plans. since it was mostly to cover my diabetic cat, and most of the companies don't cover pre-existing conditions, it wasn't worth it for me. i have 2 healthy dogs now, but since they only go for their required visits, i don't think insurance is worth the $ spent after you get done with the monthly premium, deductible, and services that aren't covered.
    my opinion, as others said, put $ aside in an account just for vet expenses and i bet most, if not all, of your expensive bills (as rare as they should be) will be covered.