Newly Gluten Free

Options
Just found out last week that I am gluten sensitive, and today is my first day gluten free... realized its rather expensive to be gluten free, and basically alllll of my favorite foods are now off limits. Any advice on how to save money? And how to get used to this?
Thanks!

Replies

• dewybuttercup
    Options
    I have found that the easiest way to be gluten free is to stay away from packaged foods and stick with foods that are naturally gluten free such as:

- potatoes
    - rice
    - fruits
    - veggies
    - nuts
    - cheese, milk, butter, sour cream, etc.
    - unprocessed meats
    - beans
    - eggs

In addition, you can find a lot of gluten free options of regular foods if you read the packages carefully. Some of my staples:
    - Chex cereal (all except the "wheat" version are gluten free)
    - Yoplait yogurt
    - Stubb's BBQ sauce (most varieties)
    - La Choy soy sauce, terriaki (sp?) sauce, etc.
    - Corn Tortillas and Corn Chips
    - Newman's Own brand of pasta sauces and chip dips
    - Breyer's ice cream (the ones without brownies, cookies, etc.)
    - Progresso soups (read the labels- only some are gluten free!)

The only things that I actually by that are marketed as "gluten free" are gluten free noodles because I love pasta, and the Gluten Free version of Bisquick for when I want waffles or a recipe calls for "all purpose flour". Also, Betty Crocker has Gluten free baking mixes if you want to make something sweet :)

I hope that helps, I still remember the first grocery shopping trip when we found out I was gluten intolerant and it was enough to make me want to cry! Remember to be on the look out for "malted barley" or "malt flavoring"- that is the one that seems to always sneak into all products.

Also- "wheat free" =/= "gluten free"
  • spinal77
    spinal77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Chex is a lifesaver, and cheaper than the alternative cereals. It's really not that much more expensive. IF you're looking for GF food thats cheap and goes a long way, rice and beans goes a long way if you're worried about money. You just have to watch the canned beans.

Dewy, LaChoy is gluten free? I switched to tamari to replace soy sauce because all American soy sauce is made with wheat, so I assumed LaChoy would be just the same. You have to read the corn tortillas and corn chips, some are processed on shared equipment and stuff with flour ones. I buy the mission tortillas. The tostitos generally are labeled gluten free on the back.

Its daunting at first but with research and learning you'll get by.
  • spinal77
    Options
    I should also note that there are some restaurants that might help too, if you're a person who eats out:

Outback and Bonefish are awesome. Red Robin now has a gluten free bun for their hamburgers! So does Cheeseburger in Paradise. Wendy's doesn't have much but their chili and a baked potato is what I can get there. Jason's Deli offer's gluten free bread for their sandwiches. zPizza has ok pizzas (I'm not vegan so the soy cheese I'm not a big fan of). Everything in Chipotles is gluten free except for the flour tortillas (I just get a burrito bowl).

I hope that helps!
  • spinal77
    Options
    Also, if you're really craving bread, Udi's makes awesome gluten free bread, but it is more expensive. And there are a lot of frozen dinner options out there too, like the Amy's stuff.
  • kpal1080
    Options
    Thank you so much to you both!
    I am already a huge chex fan, so I was pretty happy to hear they are gluten free.
    I am also lucky enough to live in Wegman's country... they are an amazing family owned grocery store that not only marks every single product in their store if it is gluten free... they make all of their basic products like cheeses, milks, yogurts, pasta sauces, ect... GF!
    I am a huge pasta eater... I bought Quinoa/corn blend pasta, I have not tasted it yet... and I also found some asian rice noodles as well.
    I also have a sweet tooth... so I bought the Annie's vanilla and cocoa bunnies... they are going to take a while to get used to = x

As far as the restuant info, thank you! We eat out rather often, and I was pretty upset that I was not going to be able to eat anything but like steamed veggies...

It is all a little overwhelming right now... but my sister has been gluten free for years, and says that eventually, it wont be something I think about... I will just do it.
  • dewybuttercup
    Options
    spinal- La Choy (I believe that is the brand) is gluten free- but most are not (which is frusterating!)

Also- Red Robin has gluten free buns?! That is the most amazing news ever! lol

Be careful with steamed veggies- a lot of places use seasoning that has gluten in it so be sure to talk to your server. Other places that I know are good eating for those who are GF including Texas Roadhouse and Red Lobster :)

It does get easier but I don't think it is ever something that you can not think about- particularly around the holidays when you need to be aware of cross contamination and how people cook their food.
  • inkedartist
    Options
    Outback does a gluten free menu. They also make gluten free desert brownie. I was pretty happy to find that out.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    A lot of cuisines have more naturally gluten free choices (make your own or ask/check ingredients):

- Mexican
    - Asian - Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc. but watch out for soy sauce
    - Indian
    - African
    - Some South American

Some other diets are also good for gluten free:

- Eat to Live (Fuhrman)
    - Raw (just watch out for sprouted grain or rejuvelac)
    - Smoothies/Juicing

Pam
  • spinal77
    Options
    A lot of cuisines have more naturally gluten free choices (make your own or ask/check ingredients):

- Mexican
    - Indian
    - African
    - Some South American

- Eat to Live (Fuhrman)
    - Smoothies/Juicing

Pam

The problem with this, is these restaurants are hevily contaminated if they don't consciously attempt to be a gluten free restaurant. I can't eat mexican in a restaurant, I can't guarantee their corn tortilllas are not contaminated by all the flour ones, and I can't eat the chips because usually they're fried in the same oil as the flour stuff. So I have to make my own mexican food.

Asian - soy sauce is in everything, and it WONT be the gluten free kind (I read an article recently about a sushi place that tried to go to using just tamari instead of soy sauce and all his customers started to complain) and so much chinese food is deep fried, etc. So Asian is out (with the exception of PF Changs).

Indian I haven't tried yet, mainly because I don't want to torture myself by looking at naan.

Ethiopian, when done right, is a completely gluten free cuisine and should be fine unless the restaurant is Americanized.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    LOL. My mistake. I'm talking about cooking, not eating out.

Pam

- Mexican
    - Indian
    - African
    - Some South American

- Eat to Live (Fuhrman)
    - Smoothies/Juicing

Pam

The problem with this, is these restaurants are hevily contaminated if they don't consciously attempt to be a gluten free restaurant. I can't eat mexican in a restaurant, I can't guarantee their corn tortilllas are not contaminated by all the flour ones, and I can't eat the chips because usually they're fried in the same oil as the flour stuff. So I have to make my own mexican food.

Asian - soy sauce is in everything, and it WONT be the gluten free kind (I read an article recently about a sushi place that tried to go to using just tamari instead of soy sauce and all his customers started to complain) and so much chinese food is deep fried, etc. So Asian is out (with the exception of PF Changs).

Indian I haven't tried yet, mainly because I don't want to torture myself by looking at naan.

Ethiopian, when done right, is a completely gluten free cuisine and should be fine unless the restaurant is Americanized.
  • KittyKat12110
    Options
    I try and eat as much raw food(mostly fresh fruit and veggies) as i can, its naturally gluten free and there are slim chances of cross contamination