ZERO CALORIE FOODS!

Options
What??? BIG FAT DILL PICKLES are ZEEEEEROOOOO Calories???? Mustard is, too. :O)

Replies

• Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    HUH, how is a pickle zero? It's a cucumber, does pickling it make it zero? I know water is zero :tongue:

Speaking of zero- does anyone have suggestions for the best (and healthiest) sweetener other than honey- which obviously isn't zero. I put real white sugar in my coffee - gasp I know! - but I need to sweeten it and I hate artificial sweeteners in general.
  • Treadababy
    Options
    KOOPS, I don't if Agave Nectar is any better than sugar... I pesonally just use sugar :noway: I figure I deserve the "bonus" for all my hard work! :blushing:
  • BklynMamacita
    BklynMamacita Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia not sugar, Splenda, etc.
  • Gynnabean
    Gynnabean Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I still want to drink my morning coffee, I need to buy some Splenda :(
  • Kooopons
    Options
    So I saw that agave stuff at TJMaxx of all places tonight. Then I was reading about the stevia- I don't know. All of it makes me leery and I feel like I want to just stick with plain old sugar. I only use it in my coffee, but I like my sugar!! Maybe I just need to wean off a bit.
  • kimnmiah
    Options
    Not zero calorie but darn close

Sugar free jello cups 5 calories

Salsa 10 calories for 2 tbsp.

I'm still being bad a just using flavored creamer so i don't add any sugar to my coffee
  • Kooopons
    Options
    2 TBSP of salsa- oh my, I can eat a gallon, but seriously I eat at least a cup with a big bowl of chips- it's one of my weaknesses- that and buttered popcorn oh and cheese fries.
    Oh wait, this is the zero calorie foods thread- LOL!!
  • cwiklamama
    Options
    After reading how those calorie free sugars are made I don't think I will use them ever again. I liked splenda a ton in the past, but I think the few extra calories are worth it. I won't go into details because I know some people love splenda but it's not for me anymore.

However, I like the I can't believe it's not butter spray. It's 0 calories for 5 sprays. Of course I tend to use more than that on some items, so eventually calories do add up but still great for spraying over veggies:) I'm guessing that's not too good for me either though so I should probably look into it.
  • Kooopons
    Options
    Yeah, I have done a ton of reading over the weekend looking for a safe, healthier sugar substitute and I think I'll just stick with sugar but in moderation. I really only add it to my coffee and today I tried less and it was still good!
  • KPKoze
    KPKoze Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    NOT that anyone wants my two cents, but here they are anyway... I used to consume a LOT of artificial sweetners. Then I got pregnant. I started reading more about what they do to your body, baby's etc (not good). PLUS, I read recent literature stating not that it's "bad" for you but that your body reacts to it like it's real sugar anyway (storing extra calories like you had consumed sugar) and that it acts like glucagon anyway and thus stimulates the glucagon-insulin cycle anyway. So I too have chosen to just use refined sugar in moderation. I do still have some drinks like Sobe or Diet coke because I like the taste of those drinks better than regular coke and other drinks, but also in moderation. I've tried agave and dark maple syrup (the most natural sugars), but the taste of "real" sugar is better than those so I'll just stick with "real" sugar... in moderation.

I have a wicked time with moderation in general, it's quite easily my biggest downfall, but if I could do everything in moderation, I'd be just fine :) That should be my REAL goal...
  • Kooopons
    Options
    Speaking of zero calories- as I was making my garlic chicken tonight, I looked at my jar of cheaters garlic and it was zero calories!!! So there you go, zero calories snack- Garlic! Then go kiss your dh :bigsmile:
  • KPKoze
    KPKoze Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Zero foods (in my book):
    Lettuce- 5 cal per 1/2 cup
    0.5lbs or less of: Carrots, celery or cucumbers, rind on- (take more energy to eat than they have in calories)
    Dill Pickles- 5 cal per spear
    Hot sauce like Frank's Red Hot or Tabasco
    Mustard

The reason for the lbs max on some foods is that yeah, you COULD just eat them allllllllll day, but then they're really not a free food now are they. Nor is that healthy, so I've always seen them capped... I think the cap is arbitrary though.

Not Zero, but since Koops mentioned chips and salsa... I don't get the crunch but I get the nacho sense from a slice of processed fat free cheese with salsa on it. Not the world's best food, but satiates that mexi-crave...