Web Sites for posting Rides

Options
TDSeest
TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
Do any of you use any web sites to post your rides? I use three:

DailyMile.com - My username is TDSeest
MapMyRide.com - My username is TDSeest
1-2-sports.com - Not sure how to get to my user name.

DailyMile.com works best for me, as the iPhone App Cyclemeter, works very well for me and posts to it. I have trouble with the MapMyRide iPhone app freezing up a lot, so I tend not to use it as much. I like some of it's features better, but it continues to lock up on me all the time.

Feel free to "friend" me on any of these sites.

Replies

• CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I ride most of my rides with my Garmin and track it with their Training Center on the PC or upload it to Garmin Connect.

I have Endomondo on my Droid and like it, I have uploaded it to their site and it also allows rides to be posted to Facebook, which I have done now and again.

Most of my tracking is done simply for me to see how much, how far and long I have ridden.

A great program for tracking numbers in Sportstracks, I have used it on and off for a couple years, really like it on my home PC.

Chris
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Do any of you use any web sites to post your rides? I use three:

DailyMile.com - My username is TDSeest
    MapMyRide.com - My username is TDSeest
    1-2-sports.com - Not sure how to get to my user name.

DailyMile.com works best for me, as the iPhone App Cyclemeter, works very well for me and posts to it. I have trouble with the MapMyRide iPhone app freezing up a lot, so I tend not to use it as much. I like some of it's features better, but it continues to lock up on me all the time.

Feel free to "friend" me on any of these sites.
    I'll send you friend on My my ride.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    When I wear my Garmin Forerunner 305, I post my rides on the MyGarmin site. And sometimes I post rides notes and stuff on my blog, http://someguyonabike.com. When I get i n a writing mood, that is. But since about mid year, I began tracking all my rides using a spreadsheet I made on Google docs here:

http://tinyurl.com/someguyonabikesridelog
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    I mainly use Garmin Connect, primarily because I use the Edge705 to log all my rides with - I've just installed the App on my Android phone as well, so I can log my occasional dog-walking outings etc, all in the same place. The only slight problem I have is that despite my Tacx Bushido trainer being ANT+ compatible, it doesn't make it's data visible to other ANT+ devices at the moment - so it calculates "virtual" ascent and descent, and measures all kinds of things related to power, but it won't give up that data to the Garmin which is a damned shame. And, just to be even more annoying, it only exports its data in Polar HRM format, rather than a nice user friendly TCX / GPX format. I'd love to be able to find a program that could convert these hrm files into my Garmin's format - at the moment, I have to manually edit the 705 download to add in the virtual ascent/descent figures, and the average and max. power data. If anyone knows of a PC (not mac) program that'll convert .HRM to Garmin format, I'll happily buy them a virtual :drinker: or 6...

I've tried a few other systems - they all have advantages and problems

Endomondo - works well enough, but I just don't like the UI - something about the Kermit in a Blender colour scheme I think - on the upside, it links direct to my Garmin, and to my Withings scales, so it's easy to keep weight data current in there.

Strava - nice clean interface, like the "segments" feature, think that the "achievements" thing could be great for faster / better riders than me, but everything other than the basic stuff is subscription only, and until I settle on one particular logging system, I can't subscribe/pay for all of 'em.

MapMyRide - a bit involved and messy, seems like a lot of the analysis (weight wise for example) is more of a bolt-on program than an integrated way of working - like the mapping, hate the nag screens and delays, though it IS one of the few programs that will read the HRM files that the Tacx produces.

SportsTracker - If I was just going to go for a mobile phone based solution, I think this may be it, get one of their bluetooth HRM chestbands, and just go for it. But, I've got the Garmin, and it's waterproof, mounted on the handlebars, records cadence, HR, power (when I borrow a Powertap wheel!) has a much better battery life, and so, again, I return to Garmin Connect.

TrainingPeaks - vastly complex, needs a "sender" application on the PC, but will cope with Garmin and Polar Data. I just can't wrap my brain around how to best use it to be honest. Again, using the free version is very much the poor relation, and you get the impression that there's an awful lot more that could be done, if you only dug your hand into your wallet.
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use GarminConnect /MyGarmin, Endomondo and MapMyRide. My "goto" site typically is Endomondo. My user name is jhalsey205 in all.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    I just work on the old digital maxim - unless you've got something in at least 3 different programs and at 2 different physical locations, you haven't really got it :laugh:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRide but I hate how they send me emails reminding me that I haven't worked out in a while. Mind your own business, it's winter!
  • amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The emerging ride mapping site most used by myself and some friends is ridewithgps.com - it is also being used increasingly by our local bicycle club (Cascade Bicycle Club (http://www.cascade.org/Home/ ) and an asserted 14k members!) for its "Daily Rides Program" - which sponsors rides most days of the year in the Pacific Northwest of the US - it is only about 6 months into increasing usage so although most of the early adopters are incorporating it, not everyone is using it yet. I have the free "membership" with the Maymyride folks (hate those 'reminder' emails also!), my bride uses the MyGarmin system for her walks, and Google isn't used to store rides but it is a good adjunct for ride mapping (particularly the close-in views where you can actually see the physical traffic intersections and whether or not there are amenities such as traffic lights!).
  • TDSeest
    Options
    I use MapMyRide but I hate how they send me emails reminding me that I haven't worked out in a while. Mind your own business, it's winter!

I agree; who needs the baby sitter?
  • TDSeest
    Options
    The emerging ride mapping site most used by myself and some friends is ridewithgps.com - it is also being used increasingly by our local bicycle club (Cascade Bicycle Club (http://www.cascade.org/Home/ ) and an asserted 14k members!) for its "Daily Rides Program" - which sponsors rides most days of the year in the Pacific Northwest of the US - it is only about 6 months into increasing usage so although most of the early adopters are incorporating it, not everyone is using it yet. I have the free "membership" with the Maymyride folks (hate those 'reminder' emails also!), my bride uses the MyGarmin system for her walks, and Google isn't used to store rides but it is a good adjunct for ride mapping (particularly the close-in views where you can actually see the physical traffic intersections and whether or not there are amenities such as traffic lights!).

I agree with you about Google Maps; I refer to it all the time.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Edge 500 and upload the gps file to http://www.sportstracklive.com/ and my Garmin connect. Then I log the rides on www.bikejournal.com (nickname curlingbiker). Bikejournal is nice because it has a spot to show the ride map right with the log of the ride particulars. There is a section for your bike club and a nice message board area.
  • shaneNSW
    shaneNSW Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yep, love endomondo!
  • budkid
    budkid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just use Strava. It's like a another big online community for cyclists. It makes me ride more because when I see other people have epic ride, want to do one too! haha...

As for the subscription, I know you have to pay for premium but just google strava codes and you could stack them. You could probably get to a year free.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use RidewithGPS (like Al Miller above). Works well and I like the way it handles altitude.
    I also use RouteConverter - good for converting GPS formats and retaining just the info you need in the GPS file.

I am also playing around with BING as they have free 1:50 OS maps - great for planning off-road MTB and walking etc.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Yep, love endomondo!

I'm an Endo lover too!

Tracked nearly 3000 miles with it since last Feb! :O)
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I love endomondo!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I use 'DailyMile' through the 'Cyclemeter' app on my iPhone. I get an e-mail every week (when I'm road-riding,) congratulating me on my mileage done etc...

If you're looking to share routes, you could always use http://www.bikely.com/ This site allows you create a route, to map the ride and (if required,) to export the .gpx files for a GPS unit or a Tacx VR Turbo trainer (if you have one?)

I really like 'Cyclemeter' for the iPhone. The information it gives you, especially with the added Wahoo Fitness ANT+ Speed, Cadance and Heart rate monitor which was bought in addition to the app.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I've used pedalmybike but it's a bt simplistic.
  • jrrflr
    jrrflr Posts: 109
    Options
    I use ridewithgps.com to map out routes and also use it to convert GPX tracks to my Garmin Edge. To track my rides, though, I use Garmin Connect exclusively.