Weight loss in tall women vs short women

Options
SuperStorm
SuperStorm Posts: 119 Member
I'm frustrated.
One of my best friends joined MFP not too long after I did and has been a machine! I'm super proud of her, but she irritates the hell outta me! I'm 5'11" and she is 5'3" and while I was about 87lbs overweight, she was 100+lbs overweight. I commend her on her accomplishments, but I'm irritated because they look better than mine! :tongue:
I lost 37lbs before I jacked myself up and had to restart, and she just passed her 40lb loss mark. Her 40lb loss shows a LOT more change in her than mine did in me. Everyone pulls out that "it's because you carry it better being so tall" crap and yes it might have some truth to it, but that doesn't make me any happier! I've also noticed it a lot on the general community Success Stories. These petite little things lose 10lbs and it's insane the way their faces change! I lost almost 40lbs and just had to buy one size smaller pants...my shirt size didn't even change, and I'm not busty in the slightest...it's all gut...so that to me is uber frustrating! :grumble:
Are any of you losing weight with short people or if you're not, are you at least seeing what I'm seeing? I want big results with little numbers too dammit!! LOL :wink:

Replies

• Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but this is our reality. If you allow it to hinder your focus, you will not be successful. So suck it up and get to work :bigsmile:

You will see results if you stay focused. This IS and SHOULD be only about YOU... not about your 5'3 friend who is doing it with you. Although it is great to have someone to talk about the daily lifestyle change with, in the end, you aren't doing this for her.

Stick with it and you will see the results. Good luck! :happy:
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    ScrewyChars-6118057
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    It is true that it takes more weight loss to show up on those of us who are tall, but on the flip side, it takes a lot less weight GAIN for it to show on the shorties. It's one of those things where there are pros and cons to both.

The good thing, though, is that the closer you get to your goal, the more noticeable each pound you shed will be (not compared to shorties, just in general).
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Well, really that's why I'm in this group, it's nice to share with others who are more like me. I look forward to seeing before and after pictures of other tall women. The changes for us do tend to be more subtle in photos but, I personally think more striking in real life because a tall woman is just awesome to start with.:smile:
  • insights2
    insights2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I am working out with a friend who is 5'2. I am 5'11. When I lost weight several years ago, no one noticed until I lost like 25 pounds. She's lost 6 pounds now, and people are already noticing....
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It is true that it takes more weight loss to show up on those of us who are tall, but on the flip side, it takes a lot less weight GAIN for it to show on the shorties. It's one of those things where there are pros and cons to both.

The good thing, though, is that the closer you get to your goal, the more noticeable each pound you shed will be (not compared to shorties, just in general).

I agree 100%. I didnt really notice much of a difference in my appearance till I lost about 70lbs. Now if I lose 5lbs it is very noticable
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I can understand your frustrations. We as tall women should definitely not be comparing ourselves to the average woman/short chicks, because our builds are way different. There are both pluses and negatives to losing weight at 5'11" (my height). I do think genetics play a big part.. how and where your body stores fat. I tend to lose all my weight on my upper torso.. I once was curvy/had an *kitten*, and now I'm getting used to being a small-chested woman and having practically no butt. However, I love how incredibly lean my upper body looks. I look like I lost a lot more than the 65 or so lbs I have.. people have told me they thought I was around 140, which is my UGW and still about 20 lbs away! The bad part of looking so slender up top are old friends/family freaking about me getting "too skinny," which gets really annoying. All they see is my very prominent collarbone sticking out, not all the fat and hanging skin off my hips! I wish people would stop comparing me to the "average" woman, who is still a hell of a lot smaller than me! The other down side is being of a larger build I have learned that the whole "I dropped 5 sizes - I'm a size 0 now!" is largely a myth/media mass marketing bull****. At my highest known weight *ever* I was 274 lbs and about a size 20/22 pants. I'm now over 100 lbs less than that, and can't fit any lower than a 10, which to the typical housewife whose body image is dictated by the mass media, is "plus size" and not slender/healthy. Let's face it.. the US media, and, for the most part, the world, doesn't take "us" into account - tall women - just as much as they ignore plus size women, women of color, mixed race and the disabled! Any one who is an "other" is never going to be factored in to these one-size-fits-all guidelines of health and beauty. It's just too much work for Joe(lynn?) Schmoe to wrap his head around.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but this is our reality. If you allow it to hinder your focus, you will not be successful. So suck it up and get to work :bigsmile:

You will see results if you stay focused. This IS and SHOULD be only about YOU... not about your 5'3 friend who is doing it with you. Although it is great to have someone to talk about the daily lifestyle change with, in the end, you aren't doing this for her.

Stick with it and you will see the results. Good luck! :happy:

yeah, what she said :)
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's frustrating! For the holidays- I went home with a 15# loss... and no one noticed (ok- 1 person!). There were several comments about how good my jeans looked on me- but it was ME not the jeans (I did not correct)!!! Now- I'm focused on when I see my family in July. How much weight can I be down- then?!?!

I'm trying to use my frustration with my family as motivation for my workouts. It works surprisingly well :)
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. 13 pounds in I'm still probably another 10-15 pounds away from dropping a dress size. Most people don't think I'm over weight at all, so they can't understand why I'm restricting calories and working out. I'm doing this for me not for them. I know I'm over weight, and I'm determined to fix it.
  • MamaLutt
    MamaLutt Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your frustration. I'm down over 12 pounds now and while *I* can see a very slight difference in the mirror, I know that the rest of the world is clueless about it. My sister is 5'6" and lost 40 pounds, which brought her from a size 14/16 to an 8. The 90 that I set out to lose will only drop me three sizes overall. UGH! It really is frustrating to put in the effort and not have anyone notice, but it will be worth it in the end!!!!

As a side note -- I'm not telling anyone except my husband and one friend that I have prediabetes or that I'm working on losing weight. I don't want people to be looking at my body to see if I've changed. I just want them to notice on their own! It's probably silly, but I'm really curious to see how much weight I have to lose before people start commenting on it.
  • mistersmithsbox
    Options
    At one point in the game, I'd lost around 100#.
    I dropped 2 sizes.

I always thought it was because I was super heavier than the 200# shorties I see. Turns out it must be the height.
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! At 6' it takes a long time before anyone will notice. I've lost a total of 20 now, and it will probably be another 20 before I can get a smaller size of jeans out of my closet. Just our fate. Hang in there and love being tall!
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That's why I'm here with you wonderful gals.
    I don't feel like a freak for posting that 170 pounds is my goal weight.
    The 4 friends that I joined up here with are soooo much shorter and soooooo much younger. I can't begin to "compete"

One has lost 25 pounds in the same time I have lost 5.

That said, it's nice not to have to buy new clothes every 10 pounds. That has got to be a pain and expensive.
    I have shed a few items from my wardrobe, but most of it fits pretty well and will fit when I get to goal weight more than likely,

My focus is to swap fat for muscle by working out. I want this lanky body more lean!
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you're 8" taller then you shouldn't compare weight loss - if you actually convert your weight loss into a % (of your total body weight) then yours is the more impressive achievement :) and remember the more overweight you are then (usually) the quicker the weight will come off initially but it will even out as you both get closer to goal.

I agree with the other comments that you should support your friend (and ask for her support in return) and focus on your own goals. Good Luck :D
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    Reading through this thread has been a big help to me! I'm 6ft, have lost 14 pounds and I'm feeling frustration that I can't see a single difference. Going to power ahead though and wait patiently.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about the clothing sizes not changing. I've lost 17 lbs so far and it's just my clothes comfortable again. I see other women with a 15 lb. weight loss and they drop 2 sizes. I still take encouragement with the little progressions. My belt is buckling two holes over now! My jeans are staying up without tugging all the time. It feels good!
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am so happy that I found this group. I've never had anything like it before. I have a friend that is 6ft but she doesn't have a weight issue.
  • taramcgrath
    taramcgrath Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Loving this group!

I'm 6ft and was at my heaviest when I joined MFP 248lbs and a UK Size 18, I lost 19lbs, put most of it back on and lost 21lbs again. I've got 40 odd lbs to go to get to a healthy weight and be the weight I was when I was at University but I know that I will only really drop a couple of dress sizes because of my height, it's frustrating but I know more than anything I will feel happier looking at photos of myself at that weight so dress size is really just a number!
  • jan_andrea
    jan_andrea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm down 53 lbs and only just into the second clothing size down -- started with 24 being pretty snug, and now I'm in a 20. Would love to hit 16 so that I can shop in a normal store :P If it's taken me 50 lbs to lose two sizes, though, I'm guessing I'll be between 16-18 at goal weight :P