I think I made a terrible mistake.

Options
wellbert
wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
I love riding fast. I own a hybrid bike, so fast is pretty relative here. 16 cruise / 26 sprint. So I thought - I'm going to get a road bike and go faster. Special ordered a Cannondale CAAD10.

Then, I went riding on a local MUP that winds through a wooded area. My friend talked me into going off path and we found a rocky/gravely/natural/muddy trail. The Hybrid with its 700x35 road tires was pretty awkward on it, but it was still a riot. Heck, it was better than going fast.

The extra control needed, the attentiveness required to avoid disaster (or wrecking wheels...), the very varied path, sharp drops and rises - all at 8-12mph was way more fun than 26mph on asphalt. More scenic, too.

Maybe I should have got a mountain bike instead!

Has anyone put MTB wheels and tires on their hybrid with any success? It's a trek 7300 fwiw.

Replies

• Jomoli
    Jomoli Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried MTB tires on a hybrid, but it may be worth it to find a used basic, but well-built mountain bike if you like the dirt and rocks (you can find some fairly inexpensive rigid or hard-tail used bikes if you search for it). I mountain and road bike and I love each for different reasons. I like the thrill and technical challenges of the rocks and dirt, but I also love the speed and fluidity of the road bike - it seems more like a meditation to me. I wouldn't trade one for the other.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    The correct number of Bikes is best expressed in a formula

c = N+1

where c = correct no. of bikes
    and N = current no. of bikes.

welcome to the madness :smile:

TBY

owner of

1 road bike,
    3 "old school road bikes",
    1 touring bike,
    1 Hardtail MTB,
    1 Cyclocross Frame,
    1 "funny bike" old style time trial frame
    and a fairly ancient Tandem frame

- not to mention another old school roadie and hardtail mtb that are on "long term loan" at a friends :wink:
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have not put MTB wheels and tires on a hybrid but I know it can be done. It's less of an expense of course than a MTB. I'd say it depends on two factors:

1. How much is your budget? Limited? Perhaps best to go for wheels and tires. Not too limited? New bike!
    2. How much do you want to ride off road? Lots? Options are to trick out the hybrid, or buy a new bike, depending on the answer to question 1. Not sure yet? Keep riding what you got until you can make a decision.

Hybrid bikes, in my opinion, make great "city" bikes, like all-weather trips to the gym, the store, etc. If you end up getting a MTB and grow your bike stable, you could always use the hybrid too, or sell it. Personally, I hate parting with bikes (my obsessive side).

I think for true trail riding, a bike designed just for that is the best tool for the job, but like anything else, creativity with using the basic materials you have can go a long way! I've seen lots of stuff on the trail...suspended, not suspended, single speed, boutique build, high end, Walmart specials, you name it. But in every case, there was one similarity. The wild grin and wide eyed trail stare!

Whatever you decide, happy trails!
  • wellbert
    Options
    What about S? S = the amount of bikes that get you a divorce -1.

My budget is... very very small. I just bought a Cannondale CAAD10 and only had a $700 budget. So, I guess you could say, I'm in the negative. My trail riding would be limited to buddy rides though, so maybe I'll shop around old inexpensive (but quality brand) MTBs

Hmm, walmart does have $50-100 MTBs.... I wonder if they would make good beaters.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    ...Hmm, walmart does have $50-100 MTBs.... I wonder if they would make good beaters.

I think it comes down to components. Like I said, I have seen it all in the short time I have been on some trails myself (I am a road rider who is just now learning to trail ride). But, the same 100 bucks just might get you a used bike with better stuff on it on Craigslist. I got two bikes off Craiglist, a couple of old 1980s era Schwinn ten speeds, and while one is still waiting for me to refurb it, the other one turned out to be a dandy. I got the pair of them for less than 100 bucks, they were just sitting in a barn waiting for someone like me to adopt em. :) With me it's always a love affair with the bikes. You put sweat equity into them. You get to know them, know their quirks. Sometimes you get ticked off at em, and sometimes you could just kiss them. Yeah, I know. I'm weird.
  • wellbert
    Options
    I went and checked them out. $150 got into SRAM/Shimano stuff but half the bikes looked like they got the stems and connecting bits from a Home Depot parts bin. Definitely going to start scouting Craigslist. I'd rather have a 5+ year old Trek than a brand new Next or Mongoose for the same cash...
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You can't put 26" wheels on a hrbrid frame/fork that is designed to take 700c wheels.

Can you just put knobblies on the hybrid wheels and use this as a MTB style bike? A lot of MTB these days are 700c anyway, especially over your side of the Atlantic (called 29ers, aren't they?).

I suppose you want suspension forks, which I believe you can get that will fit a 700c wheel (not 100% sure). If the brake system on your hybrid is disc and not rim, then you might be able to run 26" wheels on it but I suspect it would affect the handling and there may be an issue of clearance, between the chainstays and edge of the tyres etc...
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have put knobby tires on my hybrid. But, I too will be getting a mountain bike someday soon. One place to look is at camps. I will get one the end of this summer from the area Young Life camp. They only keep bikes one season and then sell them for half price. They are tuned up each week used, with new parts put on as needed. With only 8 weeks of camp, and kids doing simple rides, they are in great shape. So, I will use my hybrid through the summer, then get one of these.
  • wellbert
    Options
    I did some pricing/research.

Adding a second set of wheels - 29ers with knobbies and another 8 speed cassette will approach or exceed the cost of a gently used Hardrock or Felt 5something. Guess it's the best thing for it.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Hyrbids are the suck! Crossers are where its at ..... I can do single track and go 20mph on the road weeeeeeeeee
  • Ant_M76
    Options

Adding a second set of wheels - 29ers with knobbies and another 8 speed cassette will approach or exceed the cost of a gently used Hardrock or Felt 5something. Guess it's the best thing for it.

Oh if you have the space, then a second hand MTB = FTW
  • wellbert
    Options

Oh if you have the space, then a second hand MTB = FTW

I can always get rid of a car. Plenty of bikes fit in an empty car spot..
  • Ant_M76
    Options
    I like your logic >:)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Hmm, walmart does have $50-100 MTBs.... I wonder if they would make good beaters.

Don't go the WM route! Get a good used mtb; there are plenty of used 26" hardtail's cheap since 29" are taking over the market. My LBS tells me that they make a living repairing WM mountain bikes - they just can't take the pounding of off road riding. They are fine for kids who are only going to ride them around the block, but not for serious off road riding. I have two friends who have bought great used moutain bikes for $250 each within the last couple of months. Both will upgrade later but they got in cheap. A WM bike will wind up costing far more than that when you add the cost of repairs.

Also, some outfitters like the Nantahal Outdoor Center sell their rental bikes after the season - great buys on nice bikes.
  • Jomoli
    Jomoli Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like this "The correct number of Bikes is best expressed in a formula

c = N+1

where c = correct no. of bikes
    and N = current no. of bikes.

welcome to the madness"

Let's see, between my husband and I we have...hmmmm...

I have 4 bikes - a road bike, cross-country mountain, all-mountain bike, and town bike/kid carrier bike
    My husband has 5 bikes - downhill, all-mountain, single speed cross country, park bike (for skate park or pump track), and unicycle.
    My daughter has 1
    = 10 bikes for 2 adults and a 2 year old.

A little rediculous but I say go for the used MTB. How do we store these? We have a city park quality bike stand (one where you slide the back wheel into heavy steel slot) and bikes hanging on the ceiling in our small 2-car garage, plus two dirt bikes, and we can still fit a car in there.