Gaining speed

Options
asltiffm
asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
I am the world's slowest cyclist. I wasn't always this way but since taking up biking again in 2008, after a 6ish year break from biking, I am super slow. I get really discouraged when I want to go for a long ride (50 miles) and it takes all day. I used to be able to do a century in less than 8 hours (not super fast but much better than 12+ hours it would currently take me).

What kinds of things do you need to do to get faster? I am not looking to win any races but would love for my average speed on my longer rides to be at least 10 MPH, more would be even better, but I would settle for that right now.

I do ride a heavy bike but I rode it back when I was faster too so I don't think that has much to do with it.

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    training training training!
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    There are several factors to consider when working on speed. Nutrition, cadence, training, technique, overall fitness, etc. I think the best place to start is finding a club, and start doing rides with folks who ride just a little bit faster than you. I actually worked with a bicycling coach. Not a spin instructor, but a coach who went out and rode with me. In my opinion, nothing beats learning from someone who is skilled at teaching, in person, one-on-one. In my case, we didn't specifically work on speed, but we worked on everything. My goal was just to become a more aware, more efficient, more capable cyclist. As a side benefit, I got faster. Communication and trust are key elements. Ask questions, develop a dialogue, and learn.

If working with a coach and even riding with a club are not feasible, then I would simply cram my head with all I could read on the subject, scour the internet for techniques to improve speed etc. In the end, I am a firm believer that if you work on the overall--training, endurance, nutrition, strength--riding faster will just come naturally.

Keep the rubber side down!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Upgrade your engine (legs) and understanding your gears is the first place to start. Make sure your seat is high enough, too!
  • amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Concur with the well thought advice from Broadsword7 - getting faster is an outcome of working on the mechanics of cycling and the training that goes with it. Getting a coach (or a skilled cyclist with good communication skills) would be really helpful I would guess. Equipment, eg a new bike, (while a factor at some levels of cycling) is probably secondary to the above at this point.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    What kind of terrain are you doing these longer rides on though - are there lots of hills? Bike weight will also make a big difference to avg speed, especially on the climbs. Upgrade tyres and ensure you have them inflated to max psi :)
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with Al...but perhaps getting yourself a faster bike would give you that initial speed gain that would keep you motivated?
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    What bike are you riding?

What size tyres does it have?

Are the tyres 'road' tyres or 'off road' (knobbly) type tyres?

Is your seat high enough (a simple check for this is sit on the seat with the heal of your foot on the pedal in it's lowest position in line with the seat tube of your bike. If you leg isn't straight, you seat ain't high enough!*)

What terrain are you riding on; is it hilly or flat?

(*) There are other methods, this is just a simple 'rule of thumb!'
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Buying a new bike is too easy and the way I see it, if your riding a heavier bike you're having to use more energy to get it moving, therefore burning more calories! Also when you do finally upgrade your bike to something lighter you will really notice the speed difference!

Getting out there and riding as much as possible is the only answer, push bigger gears when you feel ready to do so, but do as the others have said too! Skinny properly inflated tyres make a big difference as does aerodynamic position on the bike!

It will happen, remember good things come to those who wait (or ride more in this case)! :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Well - as you mention previously riding centuries, I'll assume that you've actually got the bike side of things sorted - i.e. a decent quality road bike, with sensibly narrow tyres, running at the right pressure, and that your bike is maintained properly. Top and bottom of it is, the only way to get faster overall is to train to ride faster. The good news is that it sounds like you've got the "base mileage" already in place.

One or two days a week do a low cadence ride: bike an hour or so at a 65 - 70 at your normal kph speed. This will build leg muscles.

One or two days a week do intervals. Find a flat area - bike at 85%-90% of your max heart rate for 3 minutes. Recover for 10 minutes and then do it again. Repeat 4 or 5 times.

Do some sprints. Go as fast as you can go for 20 or 30 seconds. Recover for a few minutes. Repeat.

Do some hill intervals. Find a place with a good hill. Ride up it and down it over and over. Try to maintain the same speed as you increase reps on the hill. Throw in some low cadence climbs.

And above all, if you get the chance to do so, get out with some faster riders, and get used to riding faster.

It's hard - It's taken me 6 months to improve my overall average by a couple of MPH, though in fairness, I've also been trying to increase duration at the same time...
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Lots of info here, thanks everyone! Let's see if I can answer the questions.

My bikes are set up for my body. The one I prefer is a 40 pound touring monster. It's a Trek 520 with racks and fenders. I do also have a Trek 5200 carbon fiber bike which is, of course, much lighter but has absolutely no cargo area and not as comfortable (geometry or stiffness). When I go for my long rides, I bring food and enough water that I can go for about 3 hours without refilling since I ride in areas that I don't see stores very often, especially at my pace. When I go for less than an hour to an hour and a half, I usually take the road bike but anything longer, I take my touring bike. My tires are 32 on the touring bike. Wide, I know, but I find it's what I need while touring. My road tires are much skinner at 23. Honestly, I don't notice much of a difference in my speed between the two bikes. There is one but not enough to talk about.

Around here, it's all hilly. I live in the foothills of the Appalachians. About an hour from me is a 50 something mile rail to trail that is much flater since it's rail grades but getting out there is a luxury, not the norm. During the winter, I generally only have time to bike on the weekends.

When I first started, I rode with a coach who taught me about the gears, riding in traffic and some technique. He definitely helped me to get faster as soon I was beating him up and out of the canyon. I can see how riding with faster people would help, since I push myself harder with others around than I do on my own. I will have to find someone who wouldn't get fed up with my slowness to start out with.

Nutrition? I didn't know there was specific biking nutrition. What does it entail? Maybe it's part of my problem. I eat very healthy but perhaps I am missing something in my diet.

I will have to see if there's anyway I can get out in the dark and ride some during the week.

Big Yin, what's the difference between intervals and sprints? They look the same to me.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will see what I can put into practice.
  • sillygoose1977
    Options
    I can see I lack the eloquence and knowledge to properly answer this question. :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Big Yin, what's the difference between intervals and sprints? They look the same to me.

The short answer is - sprints are shorter.

Intervals are generally taken at a pace that you keep going at the desired rate for the entire duration or distance. The interval could be as short as a minute if the resistance is high enough, or as long as 10 miles of 1:10 hill if you live near one.

A sprint on the other hand, is probably no longer than 30 seconds - because the idea is to go completely anaerobic, and ride at a completely unsustainable level. Then, when you blow up, you ride for 10 minutes until you manage to get your lungs back in your body, your heart down to normal levels, and you've ridden the lactate in your leg muscles away. Then you go and repeat the whole thing again, and again, and again - often literally - ad nauseum. And don't expect to be able to walk properly the following day :laugh:

Both of these training methods have things in common though - they train your system to cope with higher levels of lactate in your muscles - and they make you mentally more used to the idea of keeping going fast even if it hurts.
  • broadsword7
    Options
    I can see I lack the eloquence and knowledge to properly answer this question. :laugh:

Au contraire, mon ami! You are quite eloquent and knowledgeable to boot! Aside from all of our wordy advice, yours cuts right to the chase and is totally essential!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Like Eddy Said - "RIde Lots"
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i might get beat with a stick here, but studio cycling (spin) has overall improved my road rides
  • sillygoose1977
    Options
    i might get beat with a stick here, but studio cycling (spin) has overall improved my road rides

Agreed!

By the way, that is the best portrait tattoo I think I have ever seen. Beautiful work.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

Agreed!

By the way, that is the best portrait tattoo I think I have ever seen. Beautiful work.
    thanks its a 3 hour "first pass" she'll be really pretty after another session or so
  • broadsword7
    Options

I won't beat you with a stick or anything else, and I totally agree. I am taking spin class now from the same guy I mentioned earlier who coached me outdoors on the bike last year. The way he teaches spin is awesome. It's like he takes you on an imaginary ride, and if you let yourself, you really believe it. Every single class, I give it my all, and come out exhausted and completely fulfilled.

Before I joined his class I took several other classes from different spin instructors and I have to say I didn't care much for their approach. Like the ones that have you jump up for a couple seconds out of the saddle, then down, then up, then down, and repeat, repeat, repeat. As long as I have been riding outside, I have to say that I have never ridden like that on or off road. There may be some sort of aerobic benefit to it, but it could also be a very bad thing in terms of injury to your lower back (if you already have issues especially). This guy though, specifically instructs to help you improve your riding outdoors. Yeah he does sprints, intervals, etc., and you definitely get out of the saddle, but it's all reality-based. Needless to say, he has a cadre of followers. All his classes are full, and he has a cult following. He has definitely helped me fill in the gaps this winter, and I am actually considering going to him year round.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Agreed!

Thirded. Spinning sessions will definitely help your ability to go hard and fast and probably to climb faster.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Top and bottom of it is, anything that makes you ride harder and faster than you normally do, WILL improve what you're capable of doing, provided you do it on a reasonably regular basis.

I can't vouch for spinning classes, as i've never taken one, and seriously doubt if I ever would, purely as I enjoy "proper" road riding, and I reckon that my competition days are behind me, tbh.

I simply want to improve my speed, so I can get in 50+ mile rides in under 3 hours, as that's pretty much my "window of opportunity" for riding - can't leave my dad alone at home for much longer than this between his medication/food/drink/companionship requirements... The idea of touring holidays, a century ride or sportif (domestic or continental) are just fond memories for me sadly.