How do you feel when you meet other tall women?

Options
I am tall enough that I rarely meet either men or women who are taller than me. I recently attended a fashion exhibition where that was not at all the case. I gotta be honest, I was a little intimidated by all of those TALL people. And it made me start to wonder if that is how other people see me. What is your reaction when you see other tall women? Does it depend on context? I just want to know if there are other women like me who are not necessarily aware of how tall they are unless it is demonstrated.

Replies

• LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I am the tallest of most of my friends. They use me sometimes to get them through large crowds :tongue: where they are clearly intimidated by those taller than them. It is rare that a woman is so tall that I am taken aback by it, but once at a club in Salt Lake City, a group of women walked in that made me feel tiny!! Turned out there was a celebrity basketball tournament in the area for a few days that they were a part of.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11.5. I regularly encounter women almost as tall as me (5'9 or 5'10) but very rarely taller. There's one woman at work who is about 1 inch taller than me, and I feel absolutely dwarfed! It is a strange feeling to not be the tallest one in any given room.

I am a middle school teacher and this year I actually have a student who is about 5'10 and it's awkward to have her look me in the eye! But I guess that's how most teachers must feel with students who are 5'5 and 5'6.
  • janarmac
    janarmac Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 feet tall and am by far the tallest of all of my friends and family. I get so happy when I meet other tall women who can sympathize with me and also swap tips for where in our small town to get pants with a 36" inseam and shoes bigger than a size 9.
    My boyfriend is 6 foot 7, was pretty happy when I finally found him :)
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    When I see other tall women I wonder, "Is she taller than me? I wonder how much she weighs? Yay I'm not the tallest person here!" Things like that. :tongue: It doesn't happen very often though.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Like Cowansar, I'm 5'11" and am usually an inch or two taller than the "tall" girls I know. Very rarely have I been introduced to taller women, but I always notice if I'm out and a woman is taller than me.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It makes me feel all a twitter. Sounds silly I know. I just love tall people.
  • OneLuckyRabbit
    OneLuckyRabbit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yay! Glad to see I am not the only one to notice other tallies. I swear I gawk worse than anyone else. I have to get those comparison calculations right.
  • slamazon
    slamazon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1 and recently met a girl who is 6'5 - I immediately wanted to be her best friend!!!! It's rare that I meet/see girls taller than me!
  • bt_13_21
    bt_13_21 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    haha! I am seriously lol.

I remember seeing a really tall young woman and thought "I wonder if she's taller than me?" so I nonchallantly walked beside her and had my friend judge to see who was taller.

I was!

womp, womp

I see lot of tall women, but like many pp said, most are not taller than me. It can be a weird feeling to look up to someone. I have a very tall family (mom, brothers, dad was tall too) and my dad's family is all very tall. I have a female cousin who is 6'1" (I am 6'). But I guess I am used to being around them b/c I don't feel small or different around them.
  • SuperStorm
    SuperStorm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Usually I always want to see if they're taller than me or not, and then depending on their personality my feelings go from there.
    Rarely do I meet other tall women, and very rarely are they taller than me. Having said that, I've been lucky enough to have a tall woman in my life (my mom's best friend who is like an aunt to me) so I've never felt completely weird LOL
    Around here there really are not a lot of super tall guys either so it's not every day that I come across that either. Currently I work for a small business and am the only female and TOWER over the three guys here. There's a door in the back that looks to have been an afterthought and it's very small compared to regular doors, but none of them have trouble with it. They're quite amused that I have to duck to go through it :laugh:
    At my last job there was a regular customer who came in and he was about 7'5" and though he was super nice, he intimidated the crap outta me! He was just so big! He happened to drive a Chevrolet Blazer which I also drive and when he drove, his knees were in his chest. It was truly amazing to watch him just walk through the door. I felt horrible because the first time I met him I was totally "one of them"...I HAD to ask him how tall he was. He laughed at me and I told him it just wasn't everyday that I met someone taller than me, much less over a foot taller than me!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am 5 10 and one of my best friends is 6. When we first met it did feel a bit odd, but I got used to it fairly quickly. Joy of joys, we also both take a UK 9 shoe size, so have been known to swap shoes (and she is also not afraid to wear heels). Oddly, the rest of the same social group is short.
  • emmakey712
    Options
    Love this group! I laughed when reading this because I have always felt like I am shorter than I truly am. Then I see myself in a mirror next to someone of average height and realize "Wow, I am REALLY tall!"

My sister and mom are 5'3, and I am 6' tall. I have seen them struggle with weight just as I have and honestly, I am glad that at my highest weight I wasn't short or else I would've looked a LOT heavier. They gain ten pounds and it looks like 30. I gain 30 pounds and it looks like 10. Pros and cons, for sure.

This whole journey to better health is ultimately your own. Don't worry about someone shorter than you seeing results more quickly. You both can shed pounds, but she'll never be able to grow taller!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I feel at home. :smile:
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I immediately want to befriend other women who I meet who are as tall or taller (I'm 5'11) than me! :blushing: It's this weird connection I feel. I also size them up right away, like I look at their shoes to see if they are wearing heels :bigsmile: I LOVE BEING TALL!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm with Jenn on this... I want to befriend them. I'm a nice person so it's really easy to make friends for me but I am constantly surrounded by shorter folk and it's not bad but when a tall person comes around... It's almost like I have a crush on them!
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I love to see other tall/er women. I am glad that i am not the only tall woman in the crowd. But that is usually rare for me to see other tall women. I wish i could see more tall women when i go out.
  • paulcer
    Options
    Honestly, I immediately want to befriend other women who I meet who are as tall or taller (I'm 5'11) than me! :blushing: It's this weird connection I feel. I also size them up right away, like I look at their shoes to see if they are wearing heels :bigsmile: I LOVE BEING TALL!

OMG! People are always doing this to me! They look at me when I walk in a room, then everyone looks at my feet. Guess I should wear nice shoes.

My soon to be ex husband is nearly 6' 8", I used to wear heels just to honor him and his wonderful height. We looked so normal together.
  • paulcer
    Options
    We just need an amazonian convention. Ha!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Ha ha... I love the convention idea.

Also- I really need to wear better shoes! :)