Can asthma be a symptom of Gluten intolerance?

Options
aranchmom
aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
My husband has been dealing with chronic coughing, asthma, wheezing and just feeling sick, for 8 months or so. He never had asthma before, and the Dr's just brush it off with an; "oh well, some people just aquire it later in life like that". I feel sure there is an underlying cause... Just wondering if it could be gluten? Anyone else have this problem? I would love to do testing, but finances being what they are, its not gonna happen just now.

He has felt 'under-the-weather' for sevral years, now. the asthma/cough just started in 2011.

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Could be related. Celiac disease can affect all body systems. It shoots your immune system all to heck so you are much more prone to viral and bacterial infections. My son had strep constantly because his immune system was so compromised. Since going gluten free, no more strep, three or four years.

Celiac disease and other intolerances and autoimmune diseases cause a lot of inflammation in the body, and asthma is an inflammatory disease.

I'm not at my computer today, but try googling "celiac nurse" asthma and see what comes up.

Pam
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Asthma was recently added to the list of well-known symptoms of celiac disease/gluten intolerance. You don't HAVE to do the testing, just eliminate gluten!
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks! We did decide to eliminate gluten for several months - started Monday. I sure hope it helps!
  • spinal77
    spinal77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had asthma as a child and persistent skin rashes that continue to this day. The asthma went away at puberty but then the migraines came and stayed. There is research that says asthma and celiac disease are linked, especially if you had it as a child like i did, and I have celiac now.
  • chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I find that when I had wheat or ate a meal full of it I would be very wheezy and phlegmy but that has changed a lot since completely giving it up :)
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Cow dairy doesn't help asthma either, it could be lactose intolerance (if the gluten free test doesn't help)
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    I would say YES! Gluten is inflammatory and food intolerance can cause asthma. My son's asthma has been helped tremendously with diet and supplements!! He is currently gluten free, casein free, egg free, peanut free, soy free, MSG free (as much as possible), and very little refined sugars/processed foods. He no longer needs a daily inhaler and his health and quality of life has improved dramatically. If he eats too many foods that he is intolerant to, his symptoms return and we have to struggle to keep him out of the emergency room.
  • flpooh19701
    Options
    Thanks! We did decide to eliminate gluten for several months - started Monday. I sure hope it helps!

PLEASE post back with your progress! I am testing this theory as well!
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    My breathing "issues" have subsided tremendously since cutting out gluten.

My skin rashes/dry patches/whatever they were have pretty much disappeared as well.

Hope you have the same luck!
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options

PLEASE post back with your progress! I am testing this theory as well!

I was recently diagnosed with celiac's as well. My official diagnosis came in Jully, after years of being told I had SLE lupus and thinking I would have to live my life in pain and possibly have a very reduced life span. Turns out I had celiac's. I have noticed a difference in my breathing even before I lost weight. I'd be wheezing and my heart would be racing just from walking up a flight of stairs and I always had to have my inhaler. My sinuses were also almost constantly blocked as well. Since my diagnosis and the change in my diet, my breathing has become much better and my heart rate dropped from 102 at rest to 65.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options

My skin rashes/dry patches/whatever they were have pretty much disappeared as well.

Totally of topic, but I LOVE your avatar pic! Ab Fab is wonderful.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

Totally of topic, but I LOVE your avatar pic! Ab Fab is wonderful.

Thank you, dahling! ;)
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It impacted my whole body including my lungs. Now that I avoid all gluten, I barely get a cold. Good luck and send me a message if you have any questions about recipe ideas or good substitutes.
  • Garlicmash
    Options
    I've suffered from asthma since primary school age and after finding what i thought was intolerance is allergy and itchy head which had got worse in the last few year which i had from an early age was an allergic reaction to gluten and guess what the itching started around the age of 10 so the asthma being noticed and the un noticed allergic reaction to gluten started with in a small amount of time of each other.
    It does make you wonder as I have now linked all the other strange illnesses to the gluten is the asthma as well as it seems i have had both nearly all my life.