Quinoa Recipes?

Options
kaetmarie
kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
I was JUST diagnosed and am having trouble with some of the textures of the GF products. A friend of mine recommended making quinoa, as it's totally different than anything else I know and she says it's delicious...I was just wondering if anyone had any good recipes to share. I bought some and am eager to give it a try!

Replies

• delipidation
    delipidation Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Unprocessed Quinoa tends to be coated with a substance called saponin, which tastes bitter and protects it from birds and insects. Fortunately its consistency is more or less that of soap, so rinsing in cool water and rubbing the grain between your hands is enough to remove it. Just be sure to drain the rinse water!

Other than that, substitute quinoa for rice in pretty much any recipe. Because the seeds are smaller than most rice grains, you'll probably want to shorten the cooking time a bit. Also, because quinoa contains all eight amino acids that the body needs to synthesize protein, you don't need to balance it with either legumes or dairy (as you do with grains like rice) to get complete protein in your meal.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Damn I forgot the Quinoa again! (goes back to edit shopping list!) :ohwell:
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Unprocessed Quinoa tends to be coated with a substance called saponin, which tastes bitter and protects it from birds and insects. Fortunately its consistency is more or less that of soap, so rinsing in cool water and rubbing the grain between your hands is enough to remove it. Just be sure to drain the rinse water!

The draining part is crucial! Otherwise, yeah, it's bitter, but not in a good way. And make sure you keep your eyes out for the occasional small pebble, depending on where you're getting yoru quinoa from. When it cooks, it goes from looking like millet to being almost clear and having a sprout-like tale.

I often cook it in a low-sodium broth instead of water. Veggie. Chicken. Whatever suits your tastes. The broth gives it a nice touch. When I make it for breakfast, I make it plain and put a pat of butter and a lil bit of salt on it, like grits or oatmeal. Sometimes I'll just put a little bit of cheese (cheddar, parmesan, whatever) on it.

You can also use it to make a mock tabouleh by substituting it for the wheat. Keep the parsley, tomato, oil, vinegar, garlic, etc... just swap your grain to the quinoa.

I've found that I can make a pot of it, drain and rinse it, and keep what I don't use in the fridge for a day or two. it keeps nice and doesn't change in texture like rice does.
  • er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    I have just fallen in love with Quinoa! I usually cook it on the stove top according to the directions and then add whatever veggies I have on hand. The other day I roasted sweet potatoes then added those, plus raw chopped up mushrooms to it at the end of cooking and it came out delicious! Add whatever spices you like- I like cayenne pepper garlic and salt.

I also made a veggie soup in the crock pot yesterday and added uncooked quinoa to it at the beginning. I was nervous about how it would come out, but it came out great! Gave the soup a nice texture with added protein.
  • luvtabasco
    luvtabasco Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do a combo half brown rice and half quinoa in low sodium chicken broth. Be sure and rinse it first. I make a batch on Sunday and utilize it during the week for lots of things. Like adding a scrambled egg to it for an easy quick breakfast .
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    quinoarecipie.jpg[IMG]http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb354/hermione_ar/MFP pictures/quinoarecipie.jpg Never uploaded a photo, don't know why this isn't working![/img]
  • lisjbxy9
    lisjbxy9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I made a bean salad with it last week, added green beans, kidney and white beans- it was good! Also found a great mix @BJ's with brown rice-very good!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the washing it part.

Anything with brown rice can be made with quinoa. I also use for things like alternates to oatmeal for breakfast. Or I make it into cold salads. It's very versatile.

The great thing I like about quinoa I can make it Sunday and it stays fresh for the entire week unlike rice.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I second or third the choice to make quiona with chicken broth. I add Mrs Dash garlic to it too. Goes great with chopped veggies.
  • ikkin32dvs
    ikkin32dvs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I really like quinoa... i usually buy the Ancient Harvest brand and then you don't have to worry about washing it and stuff.

Here are a few recipes that I have found....

Portobello Mushroom stuffed with Quinoa: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/04/quinoa-stuffed-portobello-mushrooms.html

Quinoa Mushroom Pilaf (I've tried this one..good!): http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/01/quinoa-mushroom-pilaf.html

Quinoa Spinach Salad with Grape Tomatoes: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/01/warm-spinach-salad-with-quinoa-and.html

Plus it is good made with chicken broth just like rice and takes half the time (well I use brown rice).
  • JackLeaMason
    JackLeaMason Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Chimichurri - Rinse and cook quinoa as directed and set aside to cool.

Chimichurri - Skin one or two heads of garlic or about 10-20 cloves and place in an oven safe dish with olive oil to coat. Roast garlic in the oven until edges turn golden 375-400 for 20-30minutes. Soak and rinse one or two bunches of flat leaf parsley cut off stems. Add olive oil, zest and juice one half or use the whole thing if you like it more tangy. Add all ingredients to a food processor and whirr into a green paste Add salt to taste.

Mix chimichurri and quinoa together in a bowl and set aside for the flavors to fix. Enjoy hot or cold! Great with chicken or beef
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Ooh, that sounds lovely!

I've just been adding sauteed veg and lemon juice
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to cook it in chicken broth, then add a can of rotel tomatoes with chilies and some Parmesan cheese!