A Swim Workout

Options
I have been going to a Masters Swim class which is not as good as My Montreal ones and when I swim by myself I just do intervals and at least 1k worth of free style. I typically wearshort training fins, which can enhance the cradio, but for the tri I kick very little because the other two sports are so leg-intensive.
I do have record of a few of my old swim workouts from an amaaazing coach and will post a few of them here.

Work Out 1:

200 m warmup choice

Main Set: (I forget the times for this, but I just did it straight through):
25 m underwater
50 m kick streamline back
75 m arms: back, breast free (25 m each)
100 free (swim)
75 m arms: back, breast free
50 m kick streamline back
25 m underwater
6*100m incremental increase either free straight through or 25 m fly, 75 m free (with or without fins) -each on 2 minutes
6*25 m dolphin kick with fins (I forget the times)
6*100m incremental increase 1, 2-building, 3 all out sprint and then again. All with fins-can mix it in with 25 m fly and 75m free. -each on 2 minutes
6*50 m - 25 m kick side, 25 m kick swim (cool down)
Total meters: 2050m (85 lengths)

Replies

• jeffrey2584
    jeffrey2584 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
  • whitsend5
    Options
    Naive question alert: During a tri, I'm assuming you freestyle it the whole time, right? I've signed up for swim lessons and am just waiting for them to call to set up times for my lessons. Any foresight would be appreciated so that I know what to tell the private instructor what I need to learn!!
  • juls262
    juls262 Posts: 41
    Options
    When I was doing the swim, I switched back and forth between freestyle and backstroke. I competed in an open water tri though, so it may be different in a pool. I'm sure your coach will cover various drills with you that give you a feel for all the types of swimming.
  • Leesseebee
    Options
    I think it is according to your preference. Typically people do freestyle/front crawl. I also do open water swims for the tri and do not like to back because there is no way for me to find a point to guide me in a straight line. Also, it is not my best/most efficient stroke.
    What I find about open water swims in general is that it can be hard to go in a straight line. There are buoys that help in my race-with lines that also help, but sometimes doing head up front crawl or a few breast strokes are helpful.
    Also, swimming in open water/tris in general can be overwhelming, so when I am feeling overwhelmed, breast stroke affords me the benefit of longer breathing (I'd imagine backstroke does as well, but I cannot go in a straight line in open water), it also helps assure me that I am going in the right direction and am on course.
    Short answer:
    Free is the stroke of choice for many
    It is personal preference
    I like a mix of 90% free; 10% breast
    There aren't naive questions-it's a learning process!
  • juls262
    juls262 Posts: 41
    Options
    yes, I agree, the backstroke definitely wasn't the best. I swam crooked a lot... I mainly did it when I needed a breather.
  • whitsend5
    Options
    That is all SOO reassuring to me. Though I don't swim much at all (until now!), I can back stroke until the cows come home if I need to! My swim in half a mile and is an open water that goes around (back and forth) from one end of the beach to the other... It's just good to know that my face doesn't have to be under the water the whole time to fit in :) I have a feeling that for all the training I'll put in that add nerves and adrenaline and I may have a hard time keeping my strokes in line and catching my breath. Excellent info... thanks!!
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    On my longer swims (3-6km), I will roll to my back to take in energy gels while kicking with my feet and then will roll back over to continue swimming. If speed is not an issue in completing the swim, don't be afraid to do a little backstroke. However, it is much faster to front crawl through the water.

Make sure you work on sighting. This will help you to hug the buoys on the swim. There is nothing more annoying then getting way off course and have to swim extra distance.

Good luck!
  • aparker36
    aparker36 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    On my sprint triathalons I do all Crawl/Freestyle, but I've mostly done lake and pool swims for my sprintsm, but I did an Olympic distance this past fall and it was open water ocean swim so I did mostly crawl but then breast stroke when I needed to get my head out of the water for a bit and figure out where I was going.