Help!

Options
I signed up for a mud run that will take place in the beginning of June, giving me approximately 5 months to train. I read a book on Women's Running (for dummies essentially) and it gave a process of run-walk-run. However, it has you run 30 seconds, walk a couple minutes, etc and work up gradually - and I mean gradually. By the end of week 26, you are still only running about a minute and walking a minute, etc.

For my first running - ok - jogging for me event ever, any ideas on how to best train? I am out of shape, do work out, but carry a spare tire filled with lead around my waist/thighs.

My thought was to run a mile, walk a few minutes, run another as I just did a mile and a half without stopping but was REALLY out of breath. Maybe I start this for a couple weeks and then just keep adding so I can run a mile, walk about 5 minutes to catch my breath and start on the next until I can work up to 4 miles and then try to wing it on the day of...

This may be the stupidest plan ever but it seems everything I read contradicts the last advice and I am not sure what is the most effective way for me to build up so I don't embarrass myself more than I have to on race day...

Thanks friends! Looking forward to learning from you!

Replies

• pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    WOW - that book seems awefully slow. Yes, you're right that most of everything else you've read seems to contract that advise. When I started, I used a modified version of C25K (which you can find all over the net), and found it worked really well. You've got plenty of time to get up to 4 miles at that rate. Biggest tip is not to go too fast. if you're not feeling good or struggling by the end of an interval, repeat a week!
  • mdb120776
    mdb120776 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you have an iphone, I suggest you get the ap "Get Running". It is about $2.00 but it is worth it. I started on week four because I already had running experience but it helped out a lot for me to get back on my feet.
    Good luck. The mud runs are awesome and you will have a lot of fun.
  • fluffymcfluffster
    fluffymcfluffster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will look into both. I really appeciate the advice!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    What is the distance of the run you signed up for?

I think C25K is great for beginning runners. My daughter (she was only 8 last summer) wanted to run a 5K with me last spring and we followed it and she was easily able to run the full 5K.
  • fluffymcfluffster
    Options
    Signed up for a 10k... I appreciate the advice and will keep reading other posts to learn more. I likely am more out of shape than your 8 year old but that gives me perspective! Appreciate everyone's input!
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I use a run-walk-run plan too. It's a great way to get into running and not put so much physical stress on yourself. As for the short duration of runs, some plans will not have you exert yourself so much because it's a long distance run (like a half or full marathon) - they don't want you tire yourself out so soon in race.

I've also read in several books/articles that one minute is all your body needs to catch your breath/rest during a race. In other words, after the one minute, your body begins the cooling off period (as opposed to just catching a breath).

While you are training, adjust your run-walk-run ratio to what best suits you - while still challenging you. After a while, you may find that you don't really need all those walk breaks.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i completed c25k. it was awesome. nuff said. took 9 weeks to go from painfully jogging 60 secs and walking 90, to running 30 mins.
    from that, you can do the bridge to 10k (b210k).
    i'm now training for a marathon.
    you can do it! c25k is the one i recommend for everyone- i've even got people at work doing it.
  • fluffymcfluffster
    Options
    Thanks for the last two posts. There is a lot of info out there and I am really appreciative for the direction!