Fit, Fabulous, & Pregnant Graduates Checkin

Options
Hi ladies! This is a place where the graduates can come back and say hello or those of you in this group can leave questions/get advice from those who have had their babies.

If you'd like me to add you to the Still fit and fabulous...after baby group just let me know! I sent out lots of invites but evidently I messed up on some of them, so don't think I forgot about you, I probably just had a "mommy moment" lol :)

Hope you all are doing well! Keep up the awesome work!

Replies

• kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Heather, so glad you posted this topic. I love reading all of your (and the other new mommies') updates! I've been lurking around in the Still Fit & Fabulous group hoping to get tips and ideas from you all. :)
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Well I'm an open book! I love good advice from moms who have been there and who give it in a manner of "take it or leave it" and not "this is the ONLY way to do it"...if that makes sense?! I've learned that what works for one person/baby doesn't always work for another. And we are all different and have different lifestyles, but I always value the advice I've gotten from women I admire and have similar goals/values/etc.. :)
  • jchecca
    jchecca Posts: 131
    Options
    good to see you over here Heather! how is Charlee doing!!!!

quick question for you...i posted this on the 3rd tri board...but wanted to get some new mom takes on this as well. not sure if you have used bottles at all for your breast milk...but if so...what brand of bottles do you use or do you have?

thanks and hope all is well!!!

jessica
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    Hi Jessica! Charlee and I are doing better than great! She is almost 2 months old already and gorgeous and growing every single day! Life is good!

I breastfeed exclusively but I did buy Tommee Tippee bottles because I had several friends who gave them great reviews. We are going to start doing a bottle feeding every once in a while so I will let you know. But basically every baby likes different pacifiers and different bottle nipples. I'd buy a few different kinds of paci's and bottles and see which one works best. I also heard Browns bottles are good. But then again I've heard some of my friends say their babies hated them....so it is just finding what works best for you. :)
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, just checkin in to see what everyone else is up to...Heather seems like yesterday you were just complaining about your rib cage pain!! How time is flying!!

As far as Dr Brown bottles I've had nothing but feed back on those. They are a 3 part bottle- great for colicy babies. You have the nipple, the bottle and the straw that goes inside the bottle. I've heard they are not so good for parents cleaning them or getting the smell out. Apparently if you leave them sealed the milk creates and order that's quite disturbing??

Even the mgr at Babies R Us told us not to register for them (and we weren't) but I thought that was funny!
  • kelley_m
    kelley_m Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Heather - this is a great idea...
    Glad to hear you and Charlie are doing well...and so glad you started all these threads so great to have all this positive motivation

Regarding bottles...I used Avent Air and loved them...but we also used DR. Browns when my son was up to drinking 8oz in a serving ( because I had gotten some free)...I will say they are a huge pain to clean and they can smell if you don't want them right away but my son almost never had colic...so it was worth the pain.
  • moyafigura
    moyafigura Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, i have used Dr. Browns bottles and have to agree with others that say its a pain to clean them. The rubber part that holds the plastic straw is a germ magnet in my opinion. It stinks and after a few weeks, it becomes impossible to scrub clean. I do like the Avent bottles. I would like to know if any of the other brands are good...
  • jchecca
    Options
    thanks ladies!!! definitely sounds like we'll need to buy a couple different kinds and see what he likes :happy:

Heather...so glad to hear that you and Charlee are doing well!!! almost 2 months!!! so amazing!
  • jchecca
    Options
    i figure i will really take advantage of this board :happy:

for all the mommies who have already taken home their precious babies...what kind of outfit did you bring them home in? i was putting more things in my hospital bag last night and was thinking...'what will i pack for him to wear home!'
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Lurking... Good to see you all here :-)
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I agree, time is flying by and can't believe beautiful Charlee is almost 2 months!!! Yay Heather!

Jessica-that's a great question, I'd like to know too.
  • yahyamommy
    yahyamommy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    NB: posted on other topics of this group so its a repetition, but i thought this topic is more suitable as its Grads check-in:)

Hey moms plz share the must have for babies eg how many rompers, bodysuits, vests, trousers, burp clothes, bibs, caps, swaddle bags are good enough?

And other baby essentials? Do babies really need those aspirators.

And any remarks about avent food warmer and steam sterilizer for bottles. Just want to buy both of to avoid microwave coz I have read many articles about the side effect

I know 2/3 months back heatherCrist had whole discussion about what to carry to hospital, plz discuss that again or open a topic about what to buy when expecting
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    i figure i will really take advantage of this board :happy:

for all the mommies who have already taken home their precious babies...what kind of outfit did you bring them home in? i was putting more things in my hospital bag last night and was thinking...'what will i pack for him to wear home!'

I brought Charlee home in a white onesie with cute little cotton stretchy pants and a zip up matching cotton jacket with a little hat. I'd recommend packing 2-3 comfy outfits (that match the weather). I'd go with more simple zip up footed onesie jammies. Just think "ease" and "comfort". And don't forget a hat and socks :)
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    I also bottle fed Charlee for the first time yesterday and have to say I absolutely LOVE the Tommee Tippee bottles! The nipple is very realistic to a breast and it has a heat sensor on it so you know the milk is warm/cool enough for baby. I got the kind for colicky babies (even though Charlee isn't). I really recommend them.
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    NB: posted on other topics of this group so its a repetition, but i thought this topic is more suitable as its Grads check-in:)

Hey moms plz share the must have for babies eg how many rompers, bodysuits, vests, trousers, burp clothes, bibs, caps, swaddle bags are good enough?

And other baby essentials? Do babies really need those aspirators.

And any remarks about avent food warmer and steam sterilizer for bottles. Just want to buy both of to avoid microwave coz I have read many articles about the side effect

I know 2/3 months back heatherCrist had whole discussion about what to carry to hospital, plz discuss that again or open a topic about what to buy when expecting

I think what works for one person/family doesn't always work for everyone else. I am a stay at home mom and do at least one load of laundry a day. We were given tons of stuff as well so the amount I have wouldn't necessarily be the amount I would buy. So with that being said...I'd recommend:

5ish burp cloths (one for baby's room, for where you spend your time at--which for us is living room, one for where baby sleeps--which is in our room, and one for diaper bag, and one extra)

3 swaddle wraps (I prefer the Summer swaddle me wrap with the velcro as opposed to a swaddle blanket) And make sure before you wash them to put the velcro parts together so it doesn't wear them out

I've never used a bib and got tons of them...but Charlee doesn't spit up and doesn't drool yet so...I have no good advice on that

I got SO many baby clothes and had to give away a ton (especially short sleep onesies newborn size...ummm hello people, it is winter in the midwest!) So I'd go with 5-7 onesies/pants that match the season your baby is going to be born in, 3-5 zip up (I prefer a zipper rather than snaps, they are easier for an exhausted mommy to manipulate lol) footed sleepers.

I have a MILLION hats as well but would say 1-2 would be just fine

I have the blue nasal aspirator from the hospital and have used it once but yes when baby gets a stuffy nose they are essential to have. I'd also recommend having a cool mist humidifier as well.

Must haves (in my experience): Gas drops (Simethecone), Gripe water, temporal thermometer, Milkies, Soothies, LOTS of breast pads, GOOD nursing bras (4ish, 2 is not enough)

As far as bottle sterilizers, I breastfeed exclusively and when I do pump into a bottle I just wash it in the dishwasher. And I don't have to worry about warming bottles so I can't help there either.

I will make a list of things I thought were important to bring to the hospital soon and post it on here :)

Hope this helps!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips Heather!! :)
  • jchecca
    Options
    yes...thank you a bunch Heather!!!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    I have been reading but have not checked in. Thanks for the info Heather. I feel like I am pretty well prepared (maybe even over prepared if that's possible!) on supplies etc. after reading your post.

A few questions about bottle warmers b/c I recently took one back we got and am second guessing myself. My sister told me a large measuring cup filled with warm water will do exactly the same thing as a bottle warmer. Eric's niece (who is my age with 4 kids under the age of 5) gave us a $35 warmer and swears by it. My thoughts are if I need to warm a bottle, I will be going downstairs (nursery is on the 2nd floor; kitchen on 1st) to get a) breastmilk from the fridge or freezer or b) mixing formula (when the time comes to transition as applicable). Either way I don't think I have the need for a warmer. That got me thinking about milk storage so I found the following link I thought I'd share:

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/handling_breastmilk.htm

I'm hoping breastfeeding will go smoothly for us. It seems like a lot of work but totally worth it.
  • heathercrist1
    Options
    I gave Charlee one bottle just to try it out (which she did awesome btw) and I just took a big mug of hot water and put the bottle in it to warm up the milk. This is how we would make bottles when I was working as a Peds RN at Children's Mercy Hospital as well. I'm guessing a bottle warmer just does it quicker?!

Also...I was thinking about this the other day and wanted to share. After I had Charlee I would wake up in the middle of the night literally DRENCHED in sweat! My hair was soaked and I'd have sweat marks on my bra every morning when I woke up (gross huh)... Well the hormones after you have a baby tend to make a lot of women have menopause like hot flashes, especially at night when you are sleeping. So if this happens....totally normal :)

The list of "must haves" is gonna be a little different for everyone. The things that really helped me and were "must haves" were:

for me- Soothies (for sore nipples...LIFE SAVERS!), tennis ball (for massaging my lower back), camera/computer/cell phone charger, black comfy sleep pants (so if you bleed on them it is okay), several changes of pants/underwear, a few healthy snacks for you and hubby (I loved pb crackers, lara bars, etc), lanolin cream for when you shower (this helps if you have sore nipples...put the lanolin on before you get in the shower cause the water will feel like razor blades on your nipples...or at least it did for me!), a comfy nursing bra (I prefer my regular nursing bra--Bravado as opposed to the sleep ones--Did NOT like the Medela sleep bras at all), and chapstick (even though I was so in the zone I couldn't ask for someone to get it for me...so just set it out when you get there, your lips will get so dry!) and for me I needed lozenges for after delivery cause I had a sore throat from moaning/groaning, slipper to walk around (hospital floors are gross) I think that is about it.

for baby- baby book (don't forget to have them do his/her footprints in it), a comfy footed jammie/hat for when you go home (I packed several outfits and just kept her in the onesie the hospital provided until the day I took her home). a blanket for cuddling, gas drops (Charlee was born with really bad gas and to get a prescription for gas drops was near impossible so I just gave her some OTC simethecone/gas drops and it helped immensely).

The rest is just obvious stuff like music if you wanna listen to it, carseat, clothes for hubby, toiletries, etc.. I really didn't have time or energy to read so maybe a few movies if your hospital has a dvd/vcr during the down time when people are visiting..this was more so for Al than me. I napped when nobody was there visiting.

I regret not having someone take a picture of Al, Charlee, and I together after she was born. There are tons of pics of Charlee, a few of her and I, and a few of her and Al but none of us together. So I'd recommend making sure you ask someone to be in charge of taking some with you as a family.

And Ashley breastfeeding is a lot of work in the beginning...just getting into the groove with you and baby, but now it is so easy. I'm so glad I don't have to make bottles or worry about bringing enough formula when we leave the house. I'm sure for a working mom it will be a bit more work with pumping and storing milk...but once you figure out a routine it will be so easy!
  • yahyamommy
    yahyamommy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks heather I'm outta my home city for 2-3 days and have limited access.

Thanks for the comprehensive list of must- haves

I was thinking a another thing I was watching a YouTube video related to this topic and there a mom raised a point about about umbilical (babies belly button) does it hurt baby then how to dress up taking care of that

And moms of boys what is Ur experience with dressing up after circumcision?

otherwise I was looking for DIY for baby stuff and found some cute ideas. I'm definately going to make 1 home-sewn swaddle bag and hooded towel.