Anti-depressents are making me fat!

Options
Anyone have issues with anti-depressents making you fat? Since being on anti-depressents I've gained 20+ lbs. It seems like any little thing I eat wrong spikes my weight right back up. I was watching my carbs and my fat and now I'm watching my sugar, which is freaking hard. I've been on a scrict vegan diet and I was able to lose 5 lbs, but over two days ate too many sweets for Christmas and I gained the 5lbs and then some. It's horrible because I've never been this fat my entire life! I've thought up just quiting my medication cold turkey and just waiting for the veil to lift during withdrawls, but I'm also concerned about my mental health status. The reason I got on the medication in the first place is because I suffer from PTSD. I've dealt with it all my life without meds, but then last year I was re-tramatized again (raped) and I became very suicidal and had to be hospitalized because of it. On these meds I'm not suicidal, but I still get very upset at times and feel depression glooming right over me. I just wish I could be released from my body and my mind so that I can get a break from all this stress!

Replies

• cybergazer
    cybergazer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about the cause of your PTSD, I too had a similar experience almost half my lifetime ago and have been on anti-depressants for years to help me deal with it.

I'm hoping to begin to try and withdraw (slowwwwwly) soon as I too believe they aren't helping my waistline not that its the biggest deal but I'm now married and have some psycho-sexual issues after my rape and want to try and remove obstacles of intimacy with my hubby.

For what its worth I was told that the best way to withdraw is a staged approach in the spring as you aren't adding SAD into the mix. In autumn I withdrew accidentally when I was rushed in for an operation, a few days later I had a horrible episode and needed valium to stop myself doing something silly. Better a bit of extra padding than sectioned I reckon :) Whatever you decide to do make sure you have a good support network around you... and above all that good luck.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i'd also talk to your doctors. they may be able to switch you to something that's just as effective but won't make you gain weight. good luck!
  • vegangirl01060811
    Options
    I keep looking forward to the spring. It's funny because the winter used to be my favorite season, but this year it's just so depressing and gloomy. I noticed being outside helps. We had some warm days and I took my kids for a walk and to the park and it helped elevate my mood so much. I haven't tried weening off yet. I'm going to make another appointment for myself and see if they can figure something out. Thanks for the support
  • kthicksten
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with depression, they put me on 10mg of lexapro. wasn't too bad. then I suffered a major depression when I was 16 and eventually got bumped up to 30mg. I've gained about 60-70 pounds in total. I don't want to blame the medicine but I really do think its a part of it.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I take Seroquel for Bipolar 1 and it is notorious for putting weight on people. Thankfully I've only gained about 8 pounds whereas my fiance gained about 20, in just a few weeks!! I know its the meds but that isn't going to stop me from doing the MFP thing. The exercise is definitely helping with my moods, as I also get very depressed during the winters.
  • vittix
    vittix Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen. I find wellbutrin helps.
  • KickingDarkness
    Options
    I'm on anti psychotics and the one I used to be on caused me to gain 75 pounds in a year. Now I'm on a different one that has potential to cause weight gain. I feel your pain. It's hard when you're putting on weight like that.