any gay parents out there?

Options
I'm part of a two mom family with two almost 13 year old kids, a boy and a girl. Being gay with kids is a whole new difficulty that is faced by gays and lesbians, and I was wondering if there is anyone else on the site that is going through the same kind of thing that we are?

Thanks!

Replies

• lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My gf has an 11 yr old boy. He doesn't care at all that we're together. IT is a whole different life though that's for sure. :)
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gay parent, but I have two (gay parents, that is), if you'd like them. :-)
  • JoMcDonald
    Options
    My gf has an 11 yr old boy. He doesn't care at all that we're together. IT is a whole different life though that's for sure. :)

so you understand! 11 isnt the easiest age, either... that was when ours got a little tricky. Now that they are nearing the teen years, forget it. Ugh.

Our kids dont have a problem with being in a two mom family, and so far they havent come across a lot of problems in school or anything, but it is really hard to find other gay families, at least where we are now.

Do you find you have the same problem?
  • JoMcDonald
    Options
    I'm not a gay parent, but I have two, if you'd like them. :-)

lol no thanks... ours are PLENTY enough to handle!
  • groovycol
    Options
    Hi there! My wife and I have a 5 year old boy. Because we live in a very liberal progressive area and know lots of other 2 mom/2dad families, we really haven't hit any Gay family specific issues yet. Now that he's in kindergarten, and I volunteer in his classroom, I do get questions from the kids about his (non-existent) Dads, but the kids just shrug it off.

Now...about our taxes. grrrr!!!!
  • kericson
    kericson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Me! I have a ten year old son from a previous marriage. His dad is now with another woman also so he has two step-mom's. I also have an identical twin sister who is also gay and has a twelve year old son. Both boys will jump all over anybody who uses the word "gay" as an insult or makes any ignorant comments about their families. They're the best kids ever, I heart them.
  • mpost12590
    mpost12590 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am bisexual and have three children. They are young right now. I am concerned for when they get older when they understand about mommy. I dont know how ill explain it to them but I have some time to sort it out.
  • skyguy747
    skyguy747 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We have a 10yr old son that I adopted when he was 2 years old. He's got 4 dads now (my ex & I separated almost 2 years ago after 17 years together.) No issues at school so far at all... if anything, having two dads was seen as very cool by most of the kids.

We know several female couples with kids in our area, but not so many male couples with kids. A good friend and his partner live out in LA and have a twin - I sure wish we lived nearby, I'd love to see them more often.
  • Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    We have 5 children: 18 y/o dd, 13 y/o dd, 11 y/o ds, 7 y/o ds, and 5 y/o ds.
    The kids are well adjusted and have not encountered any negativity in our very rural area. Actually, our 18 year old and 13 year old have many friends who think it is "cool" that they have 2 mothers. The boys are all rather oblivious at this point. :)
  • Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Our kids dont have a problem with being in a two mom family, and so far they havent come across a lot of problems in school or anything, but it is really hard to find other gay families, at least where we are now.

I sometimes laugh that I think that we are the only gay couple in our county. Actually, we did recently meet another couple who are old enough to be our parents (I think they adopted us as daughters). Gay families near us? Nonexistent. However, we are VERY out, so most people know of us as being the lesbian farmers. That's okay with me!
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options

so you understand! 11 isnt the easiest age, either... that was when ours got a little tricky. Now that they are nearing the teen years, forget it. Ugh.

He's a terror ... we swear he's acting like he's 5 even though he's 11 ... it's crazy. Lots of attitude, tantrums, general boy issues, he's not very fun ... LOL He def has his good days, I'm hoping at least as he gets a little older that it'll be less of an issue , but I'm not 100% about that. I know too many people w/ boys that say we have quite a few years before we can breath easy again.

Well he has no problems @ school, but it's also not known that his mom is gay. She is just a single mom there. Long story short, he goes to a private catholic school because it's the only place he does well. So we keep it on the DL while he's at school (which is fine with me). I still go to his Xmas concerts and stuff, but it's not ... hey these are my moms. Doesn't bother any of us though. And since my name is Alix nobody really second guesses anything. LOL :)

Actually most of my friends here are gay, and a few of them have kids so it's not really a big issue. The neighborhood we live in seems pretty cool. We haven't come out and said hey lesbians live here, but they've all seen us together ALL the time and the boys come by sometimes. Nobody's made a big deal about it.
  • MamaGLUe
    MamaGLUe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi there my partner and I are proud moms of a 7yr old boy and 3 year old girl. I love the commenter willing to trade their gay parents - funny!!! I have PCOS and am working my way into low carb dieting. Friend me if you are a low carved - I would love your support!
  • Mahu77
    Mahu77 Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm part of a two mom family with two almost 13 year old kids, a boy and a girl. Being gay with kids is a whole new difficulty that is faced by gays and lesbians, and I was wondering if there is anyone else on the site that is going through the same kind of thing that we are?

Thanks!

I am a gay parent, but my son primarily lives with his mom. I haven't had any issues arise from this though.
  • hoovertac
    hoovertac Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My Partner and I have a 10yo who's very interested in our effort to loose weight.
  • sirihermine
    sirihermine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a daughter who's 7, and who calls my wife her "bonus mom".
    We're in the process of having a child together now, that my wife will carry.

I have never had any problems with being a gay parent, but then again I live in Scandinavia, and society here is really just very liberal when it come to homosexuality. No one in school or in the neighbourhood as ever said anything negative to my daughter, most people don't seem to notice that we're different.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I just HAD to read this because my partner and I have been together for 4 1/2 years now and have talked about having kids in the future. We already discussed that I would carry the baby. I wanted to see other people's opinions on how it is to be a gay parent. So far it sounds quite positive!
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have a three-year old son! :)
  • evie70
    evie70 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a 16 yr old daughter that my partner and I ave shared the responsibility of raising her along with her dad. I have shared bi weekly custody. We have been together going on 9 years and my partner Jen has been like a second mom to her. My daughter actually shares more with her and goes to her for everything! We just had a sweet 16 for her and it was a little hard not doing the traditional things of a sweet 16, but although it is obvious to most of her friends and most do know of us, there are many that don't and that is hard sometimes. Especially being that her life with her dad remains born again. Either way my daughter is proud of her family, I know this by her actions and things she says. Also once I saw on a blog she has a listing that said "let my moms get married" brings tears to my eyes even now.
  • hot_mom_24
    Options
    Yes me and my wife have 15 month old son so far we are not dealing with any major issues right now all the school we are looking at have gay moms and dads. The only thing that upset me is when were out in public and we have to go in detail that he has two moms.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I hope to be a gay parent someday, although I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't want kids. She's almost 10 years older than me.. but I think (hope) she'd be supportive if that's something I ever wanted.