10,000 steps a day

Options
Just wondering how close you get to that amount or go over that amount. I have been struggling getting that many steps in. I have come close a couple of days but can't just seem to get there.

Replies

• Malissas
    Malissas Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty sedentary job all day and dont travel (work from home office) so my steps are so low! I always try to get at least 30-60 mins of walking in but usually get to 8000 by 9pm and Im exhausted!
    If i can stand at the desk and walk in place I'll do it but it can be so distracting!

The days that I'm over I have been active and out and about all day.
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I also have a sedatary job, sitting in front of a computer all day. If I do not think about it I could be sitting for 12 hours every day !!

With the FitBit I have been more focused on taking steps, I can usually rack up 1000 steps while waiting for the bus in the morning. I try to have 2000 steps before I get on the bus.

Lunch I hit the gym and the Elliptical trainer, 20 min at 130 - 150 spm gets another 3000 steps and then I "wander" around in circles while doing weights (maybe another 1000 steps over 30 - 50 min)

At night I will walk around the coffee table during commercials and get 300 - 400 per commercial break if I am under 10000 steps for the day.

I push to make the 10000 a day but usually get there. My aim is the 15000 a day, which I do achieve a couple of times a week, having a meeting across town or shopping helps.

The best day I had was at our work christmas party, dancing up 32000 steps that day.
  • wifewith2boys
    Options
    Great job on getting those steps in. I am still getting close but still not quite getting there. I am just going to have to try harder. I am just tired at the end of the day. When I get home I am usually trying to help my kids with their homework and after spending all day with kids I get worn out. I just need to stop making excuses and put in a walk at home dvd.
  • amaples1978
    amaples1978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a job where I walk a moderate amount through out the day and if I don't work out, I have trouble hitting the 10,000 steps. I have started standing at night while we are watching TV and doing steps on a single step. Only way I can make it.
  • swatts7622
    swatts7622 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I finally got my fitbit and am suprised! Today I have already racked up 11508 steps! Its only 7pm here so still some more before bed!! I do walk/jog 3 miles just about daily so that helps lol! <3 it though!
  • everydaypam
    everydaypam Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I also have a rather sedentary job and when the work piles up I can leave the office at 6 or 7 with no more than 2,500 steps in my day. Sometimes this is great motivation for me and other days I see it as a huge defeat and count the day as lost...I guess there is good and bad in there.

I have been working in the UK off and on for the last few months and was surprised to find that when my daily commute requires me to use public transportation it is ridiculously easy to hit 10,000 steps per day. Yesterday I just walked around town and hit 40,000 steps without even thinking about it! Makes me wish we had decent public transporation where I live.
  • CrystalBailey04
    Options
    I hit 10,000 yesterday for only the 2nd time! The first time was when I did a 5K, I have just been trying to get up a lot more during the day and walk around the office. I have also been walking about 2 miles after work so that is helping too :)
  • wifewith2boys
    Options
    Awesome job Crystal!
  • cotaylor12
    Options
    I had a hard time walking the 10k/day.....then I got rid of my car and moved to NYC, and it's a whole lot easier now! I've had my fitbit for 6 months now and today I got my first 250 miles walked badge! It wouldn't have happened if I didn't move here.....now I'm just trying to do at least 12k steps/day everyday, becuase there are some days where I still dont meet 10k.

I used to go home and just walk around the block until I reached 10k when I lived in Vegas....and it sucked, but I felt really horrible going to sleep knowing I only walked 3k steps.....embarassing!!!
  • linnettbenson
    linnettbenson Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a very sedentary job. For the last 4 months, I have been hitting the gym at 5:30am. I normally have 3 miles done and the rest of the steps come through the day. That way I don't have to worry about getting my steps at the end of the day when I am tired. I will also add I don't have any young children at home any longer. Makes a world of difference. This way I rarely have days that I don't hit 10k.
  • shells0715
    shells0715 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if there is a myfitnesspal group for people working towards 10,000 steps a day?