Weight Loss

Options
Hi Ladies! I was curious when I started drinking less (I'd say not drinking, but I've had a few since I started this), if my weight loss would be better. I have to tell you, so far this week, it's MUCH better! In the last week, I have lost 1.8 pounds.! I've been averaging probably about .5 - .75 a week before I cut way back on the beer and wine.

I do admit to being an everyday weigher; I like to see how what I do the day before affects my weight. I notice gains with three things: hard leg workouts, sodium, and alcohol. I can reduce two of those!

This is pretty motivating to me, and I hope it is to you too!

Cutting back is good for our bodies, and we can do this!!!

Replies

• kerry0521
    kerry0521 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Awesome for you! Alcohol is really the worst of all worlds...it's like a fat in it's calorie density (7 cal/gm to fat's 9 cal/gm) (vs. protein and carbs 4 cal/gm). But it reacts on me like a very processed carb, maybe because the fruit sugars have been converted to alcohol. So I get all the bloating like I do if I eat cookies.

I know when I stop drinking as much I lose a little bit of "bloat" esp. at the beginning, but I also found that overall I lost better and more consistently if I drank very little wine. I also found the opposite. When I consistently drank wine and ate about the same I gained a couple pounds per month!
  • Change_Agent
    Change_Agent Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Interesting. What other foods cause you all to bloat/retain water. I drink QUARTS of water but still find my hands and ankles puffy. I know I am retaining a couple of pounds of water.
  • kerry0521
    Options
    For me, it is processed carbs (esp. and including pasta of any kind). I don't eat low carb, but I try to eat low processed carbs. So I try to have only one "bread" thing a day, although that is not a steadfast rule. (Had two sandwich thins yesterday).

I will retain water after a hard workout as well, but that's just water in the muscles and does go away.
    Sodium and preservative (the usual suspects).
    Sugary stuff - cookies, dessert
    Crackere, chips - no matter how healthy or natural.
    Cheese

But everyone is different....
  • dunkrobertson
    dunkrobertson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think breathing causes me to retain water :tongue:
  • dunkrobertson
    dunkrobertson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My husband is Korean, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Korean food. Fortunately it is basically healthy lots of fresh, crazy ingredients, however it is LOADED with sodium. Because of the way they have always prepared it and the fermentation of Kim Chee it is a real challenge to watch the sodium. I am always at least 5lbs heavier after a trip to my in laws. And all we've basically consumed is fish and cabbage. The white rice with everything doesn't help either. I'm trying to stay away from it :cry: for a little while in this beginning stage of my journey but its so good. We would have kim chee in some form at least 4 days a week.
  • mommybird1
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I was curious when I started drinking less (I'd say not drinking, but I've had a few since I started this), if my weight loss would be better. I have to tell you, so far this week, it's MUCH better! In the last week, I have lost 1.8 pounds.! I've been averaging probably about .5 - .75 a week before I cut way back on the beer and wine.

I do admit to being an everyday weigher; I like to see how what I do the day before affects my weight. I notice gains with three things: hard leg workouts, sodium, and alcohol. I can reduce two of those!

This is pretty motivating to me, and I hope it is to you too!

Cutting back is good for our bodies, and we can do this!!!

Good for you! I really like this group.. I find myself feeling so much better knowing that others battle the wino fight!! You all are very motivating !! thanks
  • Change_Agent
    Options
    Hey all -

thanks for the info on water retention. I hadn't thought about the tough workouts - specifically leg/large muscle. I have been doing a lot of those lately (and loving it) so I think that helps explain it.

And glad to hear of the easier weight loss with the cut in alcohol. Starting to get there myself. I am a random weigher and have decided to pick a day/time and just stick to it.

Awesome to have this group!
  • kerry0521
    Options
    If your legs are sore that for sure means you are retaining water!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If your legs are sore that for sure means you are retaining water!

My legs are SO sore from doing leg weights on Friday, walking 2.5 miles on Saturday, and running on Sunday. And based on the scale, the're definitely retaining water!
  • Change_Agent
    Options
    This helps explain a lot - thanks! Sometimes I am more sore than others but it definitely makes sense.