Exhausted and low energy

Options
I've been vegetarian for a couple of years and have gone vegan for several months last year but things happened and I wasn't able to keep it up.

I started again this year, eating only vegan but I am feeling so tired every day, extremely exhausted and don't seem to have any energy at all.

Is that just the transition period until I am back into things? I definitely remember being tired last year but I don't recall if it ever went away or if I just got used to it.

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Can you friend me? I can look at your food diary and see if anything looks amiss?
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It seems like you have a nice breakfast of cooked oats most mornings. Does that fill you up? It's a fairly carb heavy breakfast and a LARGE amount of oats. I might consider having half cup dry oats instead and adding a bit more protein to it. Perhaps a tablespoon of peanut or nut butter or cooking them with soy milk instead of water.

I also think the times of your meals might be to blame. You usually have a very large breakfast and don't eat much more throughout the day.

I'd suggest planning out your food the night before to focus on some more balanced meals and snacks. Thursday your dairy looks beautiful. A little high on fat, but fairly balanced meals

I like to snack on fruit and add in peanut butter wherever I can. You can look at my diary for the week. I'm not perfect but I'm not starving throughout the day.

I don't think your protein is super low, or anything. It looks good to me since I truly believe we don't need nearly as much protein as the government (and meat industry) would have you think.

So... to recap, try to plan out your meals for the next few days and eat every few hours and journal how you're feeling (tired, achy, etc...)

I hope this helps and you feel better soon!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D deficiency if common in the winter and more so if you're not eating fortified foods. Same with B12...
    I'd do a little research on each. Or it could be a hormonal imbalance, have you had that checked? Thyroid and similar issues are really common
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    stylistchick - Haven't had the Thyroid checked lately but it was OK about 1 1/2 years ago. If it doesn't get better, with readjusting my food intake, I'll get it checked out.
    Thanks for your input. I'll catch some Vit-D today by going outside, that should definitely get my spirits up :)

darkling - thanks for looking at my diary. You are right, I did eat too much of the grain. I cut it in half and cooked it differently and that should be enough. Don't know why I never realized how I could reallocate some of the calories for more protein rich foods. I'll see what I can add next week (need groceries first).
  • RealChange31
    RealChange31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi Oceans,

Please add me and maybe I can help you as well :)

If you're super tired for over 1 week, I'd have your Doc do a full bloodwork panel - it sounds like you're possibly having a deficiency. D and B12 are KEY supplements for vegans, and if you aren't eating many leafy greens, grains, and legumes, iron could be an issue as well.

I've been vegan for 2 years and all of my bloodwork has come back perfect, but you do need to ensure you get lots of veggies!

Although I believe it is better to eat your vitamins from natural sources, you might try a fortified soy or almond milk to fill the gaps in the meantime.

Vegan power!
  • xmoonlitex123
    xmoonlitex123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You might be anemic. I became anemic when I first went vegan. I can't see your diary, so I don't know how much iron that you're getting, but getting enough of it is pretty difficult without animal products.