December 5 - Biggest Weight Loss Struggle...

Options
carolina_r
carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
THIS WEEK'S TASK: Track it - Sodium

If you haven't taken a look at this yet, why not try tracking sodium this week? It is hidden in many foods, particularly those that are processed, and you may be surprised to see how much you take in each day! Challenge yourself to stay within the limit!

THIS WEEK'S POLL: What is your biggest weight loss struggle?

Losing weight is tough...what is the biggest challenge you face? How do you try to overcome this challenge?

Replies

• feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I've been so MIA lately! I've barely had time to log, much less chat. :)

How did your Xmas party go, Carolina? Did you rock that dress?

Right now my biggest weight loss struggle is lack of activity due to a knee injury. But overall I think my biggest problem is a lack of discipline and consistency. I'm not good enough at saying NO to junk and saying YES to exercise. And now that I'm excited about exercising again, I can't. Hopefully I'll get the go-ahead in the next couple of weeks to swim, but I'm going to have to reassess my whole usual routine! Complicated squats, running, etc. might be out for quite a while.

So I might still be under my calorie goal, but I still eat too much crap.

I do track my sodium, and my limit is 1500mg (instead of 2500mg that MFP recs), because I only have one kidney and constantly need to take care of it. Of course, eating junk doesn't help it!
  • livehappe
    livehappe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Going to track sodium.... been avoiding doing that, but it's time... I LOVE SODIUM! mmm mmm mmm!

So, my biggest weight loss struggle is consistently eating healthy.

I am a disciplined exerciser for the most part, but I struggle with eating healthy. I am a foodie... I love high cal restaurant meals. I love having dessert. I love wine and cheese. I love pop and chips with my television at night. Worst of all, I love cooking and baking, and trying out new recipes. Letting go of my love affair with food has been the hardest. I have learned though that an ocassional bad day is not the end of the world, and that mentality has helped me a lot.

Second biggest struggle is travel. I travel to hotels atleast once a month. It is hard to stay on track with room service, and eating out, and all the goodies that call out to me on a road trip! But, I do manage to get better with each trip.
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Eating away from home - shopping, office goodies, birthday dinners, holiday parties, etc. Even though I know all the strategies I have not done well with making good choices in this area. I typically go for whatever I want & not what's best for me.

Making time to exercise
  • stritte14
    stritte14 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started tracking sodium a couple weeks ago and rarely ever hit at or stay under the amount MFP has allotted me. I am definetly trying to work on it though.

My biggest challenge to losing weight is my emotions. I want a treat for everything! When I have had a bad day, a good day, when there is something to celebrate, when there is something to mourn, when it's been a busy day, when it's been a long week, when it's someone's birthday....you get the picture! I am working on trying to change that but am struggling because every idea I have is something that is not really in the budget right now (like get a manicure, pedicure, hair done, etc). But am definetly going to keep trying to work it.

I love exercising so lately I have been repeating to myself "I work out too much not to look good" when I feel myself getting weak.
  • carolina_r
    Options
    Commitment...

That is always my problem.

I start out all excited to "CHANGE MY LIFE" - I buy the great cookbook...or the amazing DVD I heard about...or the great deal on the gym membership...or the yoga mat and blocks...or the weight watchers subscription...or the fitness tracking software...and on and on it goes...

...but before long, my motivation has waned, and I am right back where I started - slowly packing on pounds, year after year.

The past 85 days on MFP mark several milestones for me:
    - the LONGEST I have stuck to any weight loss plan
    - the MOST weight I have ever lost...EVER...My weight has literally been moving up my entire life
    - the MOST ACTIVE I have ever been
    - the HEALTHIEST I have ever eaten

So far, MFP has been the answer to curing my biggest issue...The fact that you gals are there, keeping me accountable, keeping me coming back. It is making all the difference...

BTW - feydruss - the party is this coming Friday. I tried the dress on yesterday, and it fit!!! A little tighter in the chest area (the girls are bigger thanks to b-feeding) but I think it will be fine! I could have gotten a new dress, but there is something very symbolic to me about going out wearing a dress from my pre-pregnancy days...A clear sign that I am back to my previous size!

I will be sure to take a picture...perhaps I will take my cue from Robin and make it my next profile pic :)
  • feydruss
    Options
    I applaud your commitment, Carolina! I hope someday I can see the results you've been getting.

And Robin, your new pic is hot!
  • carolina_r
    Options
    I applaud your commitment, Carolina! I hope someday I can see the results you've been getting.

And Robin, your new pic is hot!

Feydruss - you are in such a tough spot right now, being essentially "grounded" from exercise...but still having twins to take care of! Is there anything that we could do to help you stay on track? For me, the "no junk" weekdays thing a few of us are doing is working quite well, as is pre-logging so that I feel like I have to do it (or let you guys down). What motivates you? We are all different, so what I am doing won't necessarily work for you...What do you think will? I'm happy to help in any way I can!!!

- a daily report?
    - public flogging if you don't eat well?
    - some sort of mini-challenge?
    - complete destruction of all junk food everywhere...forever? :)

Let us know what we can do to help you through this tough time!
  • feydruss
    Options
    Pre-logging works well for me, as well as planning out my day/meals a bit better.

Right now I'm finding that I'm trying to take it day by day. My knee is starting to feel a bit better, and I have an MRI booked for the 16th. So I'm hoping I can start swimming at least pretty soon. Being active again will help my motivation, as I find I always eat better when I'm working out. It's like my whole system needs to be symbiotic.

On the plus side, I'm not getting out as much, so I can't get drive-thru or buy new chocolate! ;)
  • Lisahorstkamp
    Lisahorstkamp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Struggle Is my middle name since Thanks giving. I was 149.5 the Monday before Thanks giving I have hit my Thanks giving Goal of under 150! but dun dun dunnnnn. I went off diet during thanks giving thinking I couldn't gain more than 2 pounds in 4 days RIGHT?.... Well I lost my phone I use the app to keep track of my food intake so I went One more week off Diet. So In 11 days I have gained 4 pounds everything that I haev lost.... And My Breast milk have changed I'm makeing very very little "Cream" or fat in my milk something that I have struggled with since he was a month old, Gasy, colicie, green bubbly poop. The whole nine yards. The lactation consultate has sujested a High fat diet and eating 2000 cals a day. I'm eatting spoon of Peanut butter with every meal. yeasterday Great!. Today horable I'm 400 cals over. I could not resist pizza :( and Sweet tea. I love carbs! ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • TiffanyaeBrown
    Options
    I'm right there with you Carolina! Commitment and/or burning out too fast. I'll hit it hard and heavy and lose 10lbs in about 2 weeks. Then I'll be exhausted, decide to take 'a little break' and end up giving up.

That's why I decided to start tracking my food right after the baby was born. Since I had a c-section, I couldn't get up and get going to quickly or I'd end up hurting. Since I'm not a fan of pain it's easy to stick to this rule. ;) Plus tracking what I eat helps with nursing the baby (checking for food sensitivities, getting enough calories, etc.) It's also made me so much more aware of what I'm eating!

I've lost 20lbs in about 4 weeks (6lbs of that was 100% baby ;p) and my goal is to lose another 30. I'll start exercising twice a week in Jan. and we'll go from there. :) I'm really hoping to stick with it this time. Having you ladies here certainly helps!
  • knottylibrarian
    Options
    MOTIVATION! My son is 12 weeks and I have been having trouble getting back into diet and exercise. I logged into MFP for the first time in a year yesterday hoping to get motivated by holding myself accountable here!
  • TMG1980
    TMG1980 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Tracy- I am new to MFP this week and also new to the post partum group! I am glad to have found you!

I gave birth 4 weeks ago today and sor far have lost 22 lbs most of that in the first two weeks PP. I would like to lose 50 more lbs at least, possibly a little more- I want to focus on 50 first then evaluate how I feel.... 30 of that is pregnancy weight 20 gained back before I got pregnant after I finished nursing school- stressful job hunting for 2 months!

I am eclusively breastfeeding and love it, though we will try to introduce a bottle with pumped breast milk tonight in preparation for going back to work in a month... I work part-time 2 days a week (24 hours).

I like the idea of watching sodium because we eat out a few times a week and I know I get more salt than I should! We also LOVE popcorn- we use and air popper and cooking spray, but I like a lot of salt on it! I am going to look back this week so far to see how I did.

My biggest struggle with weight loss has always been emotional eating.... I try to stuff bad feelings down, when urge hits it is really hard for me not to eat everything in sight.... I try to do other things to soothe, food seems to be the easiest and quickest way in my head- if I recognize it early I sometimes do something else, but there I plenty of times I over eat when I am sad, mad, stressed, or worried! I just keep trying and in the past over time I have made great progress, even if I takes longer than most people to lose I am ok with that.

I look forward to meeting/ chatting with other moms!
  • BecLBe
    BecLBe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ewww sodium tracking..it litterally is everywhere, right?

My biggest weight loss struggle is motivation and commitment. I tend to let myself get in the way. Right now I'm doing a workout video, when my hubby is home, I get all self contious and won't work out while he's home. Then the baby wakes up and I miss my window to workout. It's easy to have excuses why I shouldn't workout or why I should eat those gummie bears my husband brought home. When it should be easier TO workout, instead.

I have to keep reminding myself of my reason to want to lose the weight. This program is really helping me to stay on track with my food and it's almost fun to see my progress. It's getting off my butt to workout that is killing me.
  • hbomb2011
    hbomb2011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    THIS WEEK'S POLL: What is your biggest weight loss struggle?

My biggest is issues are this:

1. Trying to find time for that 'third' workout. I workout with a trainer twice a week (because otherwise I wouldn't go to the gym). However, I can't afford to pay for three sessions and that third session would really help burn those extra calories. So I try to do it myself, but I have such a hard time leaving my family (because I love hanging out with the baby and my hubby) and then i get distracted doing stuff around the house, that I don't remember to do it.

2. Sugar intake seems to be my biggest calorie intake that I need to eliminate. I am doing Chobani Greek yogurts as my snacks during the day and they seem to keep me full inbetween meals because of their protein, but I realized today that their sugar count is way to high. Anyone have suggestions on better snacks that keep you full? Let me know!

H
  • carolina_r
    Options
    Wow...I can really relate with all of these struggles!! It is nice to know that others have the same challenges.
  • AllDayMzAmberJ
    AllDayMzAmberJ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My biggest struggle is not planning my food. When I plan, and my schedule stays according to my plan, I do well with eating. But, if something changes, and I have to run out or be away from the house, I make TERRIBLE choices. I have been tracking my food diary and everyday that I have a bad day I see it is that I was running around, got hungry, and made a terrible food choice. I swear I wish fast food didn't exist. Then I would HAVE to think of something else, or bring my food with me everywhere. And the bad part is, we do that for our kids. As mothers we are programmed to pack a bag before you leave with drinks, snacks, etc for our little ones, but then we neglect ourselves.. So, in short, that's what I'm working on!.
  • TracyP111
    Options
    My biggest weight loss struggle is motivation and commitment. I tend to let myself get in the way. Right now I'm doing a workout video, when my hubby is home, I get all self contious and won't work out while he's home. Then the baby wakes up and I miss my window to workout. It's easy to have excuses why I shouldn't workout or why I should eat those gummie bears my husband brought home. When it should be easier TO workout, instead.

I have to keep reminding myself of my reason to want to lose the weight. This program is really helping me to stay on track with my food and it's almost fun to see my progress. It's getting off my butt to workout that is killing me.

One thing I've thought about doing, and maybe it will help you too, is as soon as hubbie gets home, take a DVD to another room and work out there. Or go to the garage and jump rope for half an hour. That way you're not self-conscious about working out in front of him, and he can watch the baby if/when he wakes up and give you some time to take care of yourself. Good luck!