whats your favorite eating disorder book?

Options
VegGoddess
VegGoddess Posts: 81 Member
I'm currently reading Wasted by Marya Hornbacher
next I want to read Feminist Perspectives on Eating Disorders then Minding the Body

I have read some eating disorder fiction books but those don't really grasp my attention too well anymore. I did like wintergirls because I LOVE Laurie Halse Anderson but that book was full of all sorts of triggers so i prefer to stay away from those types.

Anywho, the title is self explanatory, whats your favorite? Have any good suggestions? Have you read any of the ones I've listed?

Replies

• skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Wasted.
    Hands down. Amazing.
  • seekingthepatienceofjob
    Options
    Perfect by Natasha Friend is an okay book.

I read Diary of an Anorexic Girl by Morgan Menzie....I felt like I could relate to it more.

Wasted was the best!
  • vinylgroover
    vinylgroover Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say Wintergirls. It hit home in so many different ways, I was in tears by the end.
    Wasted is a close second.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I'd definitely say Wasted. Marya Hornbacher is an amazing writer. I'd definitely recommended reading her other book, Madness. It was incredible.
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wintergirls for sure.
  • thinmintme
    thinmintme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Life Size, myself. I've got Diary of an Anorexic Girl as well which is also good.
    I just like the poetic style of Life Size. Not sure of the author at this moment. :c
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    Life with Ed. Fantastic.
  • Beezer322
    Beezer322 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    wasted is really good, but if you want something shining the light on recovery more, I'd go for Purge. It's pretty good. And it's a true story as well.
  • VegGoddess
    Options
    wasted is really good, but if you want something shining the light on recovery more, I'd go for Purge. It's pretty good. And it's a true story as well.
    oh yes! i read purge it was really good.
  • jvw317
    jvw317 Posts: 25
    Options
    If you want a really interesting and actually somewhat humorous book for recovery? Try Life Without Ed by JennI Schaeffer. Best eating disorder book ever, and I've read a ton.
  • dancin2011
    dancin2011 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi...LOVED IT!
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options

^^ This was my fav too!!
  • dancin2011
    dancin2011 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

^^ This was my fav too!!

It was amazing! She was so real and while some may find it triggering, I was inspired by her journey. =)
  • Emabo
    Emabo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Skinny would have to be my favorite book involving eating disorders. I have never read a book about a bulimic though, so the ones involving anorexics were hard for me to relate to. I also feel like I am alone on this, but I really did not like Wintergirls.
  • arkansascountrygirl
    arkansascountrygirl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    its not really an E.D. book but it does address it. Jorge Cruise 8 minuets moves in the morning extra easy work out. it address not only weight but your emotional eating and your self esteem.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Wasted - Wintergirls - Unbarable Lightness - Purge

and now I am reading Purge... it is really good. It is a diffrent perspective on IP - when I was IP it was nothing like her discussions in the book. I was going to get Skinny on my Kindle - since it seems to have some reviews, I will be more than glad to get it.
  • luvlyjanny
    luvlyjanny Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    currently reading wasted!! enjoying it so far :)
  • Emabo
    Emabo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I also liked the book Thin.
  • VegGoddess
    Options
    Skinny would have to be my favorite book involving eating disorders. I have never read a book about a bulimic though, so the ones involving anorexics were hard for me to relate to. I also feel like I am alone on this, but I really did not like Wintergirls.
    i read skinny too, it was okay. i was really really sad.
  • Vench
    Vench Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Life-Size's author is Jenefer Shute... I've been having a hard time finding a new copy because I think it's out of print. Sucks cos I really wanted to read it :/

I have a love/hate relationship with Marya Hornbacher - sometimes it seems like she's proud of how sick she got, but then again, I've had the same mentality myself at times, so I can't hate on her too much.

The worst is probably The Passion of Alice by Stephanie Grant. That book is just a literary cluster-yeah that had a plot that went nowhere.