Breakfast without meat or wheat and not always eggs?

Options
I realized that I need some breakfast ideas. The mean cannot include wheat or meat.

I usually have two eggs and mix in some tomatoes or peppers but I don't want to have eggs 7 days a week.

I usually have some berries with my eggs as well, but they can be high in sugars. What else is out there?

If it has a short prep time, that's a bonus.

Replies

• onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    how about oat meal (is that wheat?), Quina, I LOVE morningstar foods. I have not had the breakfast 'sausages' but I go though boxes of their griller prime burgers like water! SO GOOD!

They go on sale often too B1G1 type of sales and they do coupons too.

When you say meat, do you mean fish as well? if you eat fish, have lox (salmon) and a smear (cream cheese) on a bagel.

Pamela's products are gluten free products you can find them in most health food stores. They make pancake mix/breadmixes/cakes/etc. Yogurt, cottage cheese and fruit.

Thats all I got.
  • wehrlegirl
    Options
    Ive been thinking to cut dairy to help with my diet, but my fav is yogurt with banana or berries. Another recipe Ive been doing is to cut up and apple or two, or pears, with cinnamon and raisins, and either bake it or microwave it for 3 minutes until cooked through ... eating it plain or I guess you could add yogurt to it. Both total a bit over 200 calories, then with coffee (latte) Ive hit my breakfast limit.
  • Jetscuh
    Options
    Ok, here is where you'll realize that I am a picky pain in the butt. ;)

I can't stand the texture of oatmeal. I just can't eat anything sausage even if it's not actually meat...I just can't. It's the one food I will not go near. I do like Morningstar veggie burgers and Boca as well. I never thought of having one of those with breakfast. That's not a bad idea. I could get creative with that and add some veggies.

I can't eat bagels due to the wheat and I don't like salmon.

I haven't seen any of Pamela's products, I'll have to look into them. Some gluten free products can get sugary or starchy so I'll have to take a look. I did eat two slices of bread a few days ago. I shouldn't have, but I just wanted a damn sandwich! lol

I do like yogurt and keep Chobani Greek yogurt or Oikos in the fridge, I usually have that as my after workout snack but I could eat that in the mornings on the days that I don't work out. Someone else mentioned apples/cinnamon/raisins to me as well. I think I will experiment with that combo and see if I like it. It sounds good to me because I like all of the ingredients so I'll give it a shot.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. Once again, I apologize for being so picky.
  • wehrlegirl
    Options
    smoothies might be a good idea if you can lesson the sugar content by adding coconut water. or a fake bananas foster with sauteed bananas and some vanilla extract ( its good, Ill hunt down the recipe)
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    EDIT: reading comprehension - sorry, I just realized you said "no meat" - I was thinking "no wheat" only! I have been alternating fruit smoothies (agreed as far as higher sugar) with plain non-fat yogurt, milk, 1/2 a banana, and berries, and just bought some protein powder to add to them. However I am also getting bored of smoothie/omelet/smoothie. I am trying to stay away from tons of grains but am very picky so I'm not about to eat cottage cheese with spinach for breakfast.

[pre-editing: Have you tried Canadian back bacon? It is basically just ham, with very little fat. I like the kind that is surrounded by cornmeal. I fry it with just a little olive oil cooking spray. Then you could pair that with a banana or other fruit?

I am extremely picky as well, which has really impacted how and what I eat!]
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    I do like Morningstar veggie burgers and Boca as well. I never thought of having one of those with breakfast. That's not a bad idea. I could get creative with that and add some veggies.

Yep! There's no reason that your breakfast has to consist of typical breakfast foods.
  • ridewithless
    ridewithless Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What about corn flakes?
  • moody01
    moody01 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am really stuck in a rut (and journaling my food is sure making me realize it!). I seem to eat either oatmeal or eggs every single farking day! I need to go shopping instead of leaving my DH to do it.
  • faybe13
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt with either nuts or fruit. Baked apple chips with peanut or almond butter are also good. I like this (http://www.naturalhomeandgarden.com/food-matters/baked-apple-chips.aspx) baked apple recipe, but I substitute nutmeg and cloves for the sugar :)
  • SophinMaine
    SophinMaine Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not a good example since I typically don't eat breakfast unless I'm on vacation, and when I do have breakfast, it's fresh baguette with butter and honey, yum!

But as per your requirements, you could do low fat yogurt (Activia or Yoplait are my favorites), a handful of nuts (raw hazelnuts and/or almonds), a fruit, and/or some type of non-wheat cereal (bran? corn?) with almond milk instead of milk.
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    Do you eat non-wheat bread? You could have french toast with jam/berries/yogurt/cool whip etc.
  • Pegasusridge
    Options
    I like greek yogurt as well, and I usually add some powdered fiber to it . I will usually eat a piece of fruit - bananas and watermelon are the fruit du jour at the moment.
  • fuego84
    fuego84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Check out hungrygirl.com, they have a lot of good, healthy ideas that may work for you.