Nursing calories??

Options
Hi Ladies, I am new to the group and have a 6 month old, looking to use this as a great tool, but I don't see any where on the site where you can adjust your caloric intake for nursing, any advice?? Thanks so much!

Replies

• beebunny
    Options
    I don't know if it's exact or the best way as I only just joined myself, but you can add exclusive breastfeeding as a food and you get 500 calories for it.
  • bdsnell
    bdsnell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think you can just create an exercise and put nursing and divide your 500 by the average number of times you nurse (say you nurse an hour at a time 5 times a day so 500/5= 100 calories an 60min nursing session) then just put it as an exercise each time you nurse. Its a great way to track your nursing too!

I've been wondering how many calories I burn nursing my toddler. He is eating other foods obviously so I cant find anything that shows the calories, but I do know my milk has changed. It has become much thicker and fattier. Its more like cream so I've been curious for a while know if thats what's helping my fat go byebye :).
  • SRG72
    SRG72 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am also new here with an almost 7 month old and have the same exact question! I see some of you recommend adding 500 calories for breastfeeding... I thought we are only supposed to have an extra 300 calories a day for breastfeeding, is that accurate?

Also, my breast milk supply has just started to seriously decline but I really need to lose these last ten pounds (and then some from before the baby!) and I am getting desperate but I am fearful if I cut too many calories that I will completely lose my milk supply but if I add the calories back that I won't lose the weight! So frustrating.
  • AMummysLife
    AMummysLife Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I only have a new born but I find 280 calories extra a day plus exercise calories is fine when breastfeeding and allowing weight loss.
  • Karene2012
    Options
    Thank you ladies, this is great information. Yeah, I am nursing our son that is 6 months about 7x a day but for like 10 - 15 minutes on one side... so I think I may have to go with a lower calorie intake... or count like what one of you suggested and divide it. Thanks again!
  • danniellevigue
    Options
    nothing to add, except... CONGRATS ON YOUR BABY! :) and i would also suggest adding the breastfeeding as an exercise. i have tried to mess with the settings, that is the easiest way, you would be amazed how many ppl ask this question. in due time, they will add the option. lol
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    i use 187 cal, per feeding, i have a 8 month old tho, i tried doing the 500 a day, but found that i was "running dry" with that one. and thro a little trial and err i found that this works the best for me
  • helynn1217
    Options
    how many times do you nurse your 8 month old? I have a 10 month old and nurse him 4 times a day. Last week I worked myself so hard at the gym & had such a boob issue by the weekend- mild fever, body aches, & a sore boob (which I thought was going to lead to a clogged duct-but thankfulyl didnt'). OH and low supply : ( I am still unsure what lead to me having a sore boob? not enough sportbra support? over doing it? I just don't know!

I'M STILL TRYING TO FIND A BALANCE! AND SO DESPERATE TO LOSE SOME WEIGHT (which doesn't seem to be happening!)

Anyone else having these issues????
  • AMummysLife
    AMummysLife Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking a day? I try to drink between 10-12 glasses a day just because between breast feeding and exercising 8 glasses is not enough to keep me and baby hydrated.

What kind of sports bra are you wearing and does it stay in place or do you have to keep adjusting it? If you have to keep adjusting it, it's the wrong size. Breast size might be the same but the shirt size might be wrong.
  • helynn1217
    Options
    I def drink enough water ( i have one of those scales that monitor water %).

I wear 2 sports bras. I cannot stand having anything jiggling. Since introducing solids to my son (from 4 months- present), I went from F's to DD's- so my boobs are shrinking! Admittedly, I do need to invest in new/better bras. As I'm going along & trying/wearing pre pregnancy clothes, I either am 1- losing inches because things are big or 2- stretched the stuff out during pregnancy/after my first baby.

With all the amount of crazy pregnancy changes my body has gone through- I feel like I've hit puberty ALLLL over again. Finding things that fit/look good/self consciousness. its rediculousssss
  • philly1980
    philly1980 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a 12 month old who still has 3-4 proper breastfeeds and then a half dozen or so quick 1 minute comfort snacks. I add an extra 300 calories for that.

My GP told me to add an extra 500 to begin with and then if you don't see any results after a fortnight, try an extra 400 and if still no results reduce to 300. She suggested never going below that until you introduce solids and cut feeds. Hope this helps - good luck!
  • eer1980
    eer1980 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks for this! I am new here as well and was trying to figure out how to add calories in for breastfeeding.
    My baby is 5weeks old and nurses at LEAST 12 times a day! So I really wanted to be sure I was eating enough. I went on ahead and added in the extra 300 calories from the food section. If I notice a supply drop, I will add in more calories.
  • kazr11
    kazr11 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi I have just joined and had not even considered the extra calories needed. I know I have the appetite of a horse!! Haha. Now need to figure what would be best way to record this for feeding my 20 week old. ?Thanks ladies and good luck, hope we can support each other in loosing those extra pounds x
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    how many times do you nurse your 8 month old? I have a 10 month old and nurse him 4 times a day. Last week I worked myself so hard at the gym & had such a boob issue by the weekend- mild fever, body aches, & a sore boob (which I thought was going to lead to a clogged duct-but thankfulyl didnt'). OH and low supply : ( I am still unsure what lead to me having a sore boob? not enough sportbra support? over doing it? I just don't know!

I'M STILL TRYING TO FIND A BALANCE! AND SO DESPERATE TO LOSE SOME WEIGHT (which doesn't seem to be happening!)

Anyone else having these issues????

I breastfeed 2x's in the morning +2xs in afternoon + 2 evening on adverage. try adding "organic mothers milk" tea to your diet along with fenugreek and blessed thistle, and log every bfing with your food. and get as much rest as you can!!!
  • Veronika80
    Veronika80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i m new here and just to be sure... I add 180 calories to eat per day at my goal..but should I add 600 calories to burn per day too to my goal??

After doing this I have to add an exercice with 25cal burned / onces of milk for breasfeeding my 4 month old baby!? Is that right?

Sorry for my english I need a little practice! ;)
  • princessleia1980
    princessleia1980 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just set my calories to maintain weight and then eat any exercise calories. That way my bf creates the deficit it wants. When I tried adding various calories figures like the above posts I just stayed the same or lost 0.5 lbs. when I tried my method I lost 3lbs and I know I am eating enough then!
  • Veronika80
    Options
    So you didn't add calories because of breastfeeding? (sorry, I'm a frenchspeeker so, just wanna be sure I understand well!! hehe)

I just read at LLL that the minimum calorie of a breastfeeding mom who wants to lose weight is 2200...
  • Veronika80
    Options
    its ok i understand with my day.... thank you!