First Day of the Season, Yay!

Options
solpwr
solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
I skied yesterday! Post your first day joy here!

My best first day ever I think. The reason is, the mountain wasn't open yet, so I had it all to myself. I took my randonnee alpine touring gear, which consists of Dynafit bindings mounted to Rossignol MegaBang telemark skis.
I climbed the mountain 1,380 feet of vertical gain, and skied untracked powder about 5 feet deep, the first tracks of the season on that run. It was epic. Deep flowy goodness.

And seeing as we're all on here for fitness, here's a graph of my day, the climb, and my heart rate downloaded from my monitor.
The background shot is from last season in Canada.

ClimbingGraph-1.jpg

Replies

• caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    What app/program are you using for that chart? It almost looks like MyTracks to me.

Yeah, you guys got pounded this last storm. Jealous! We were forecasted for 20+ inches on Saturday, but the storm veered east just north of us so we only got 6" or so. :cry: Thanksgiving forecast isn't looking too promising for crap-ton of powder yet either. La Nina better get here soon, I have a week off in December and a full season pass, c'mon!!! :tongue:
  • solpwr
    Options
    What app/program are you using for that chart? It almost looks like MyTracks to me.

Yeah, you guys got pounded this last storm. Jealous! We were forecasted for 20+ inches on Saturday, but the storm veered east just north of us so we only got 6" or so. :cry: Thanksgiving forecast isn't looking too promising for crap-ton of powder yet either. La Nina better get here soon, I have a week off in December and a full season pass, c'mon!!! :tongue:

A little program called Excel. LOL
  • caveats
    Options

Curse you. :tongue:
  • solpwr
    Options

Curse you. :tongue:

HAHAHA
  • dreambig_gohome
    dreambig_gohome Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My first actual day of the season was a complete and utter washout...We had rain until about 5p.m. and 55 degrees....but the rail jam still went down despite sinking 3 inches in the slush. But hey, anything for a good run, right?

My second day this past Saturday was much better, but still had difficulty levels of about 7-8 out of 10 in the sliding snow conditions all day. It was 47 degrees. I'm breaking in a new board and my p-tex is completely untouched, so my board got nicknamed "Secretariat" because boy was it fast. It met now resistance from the loose wet packed snow that turned into a literal ice skating rink by sundown. I had a couple bad falls on the ice and that did me in. I couldn't even keep my board from moving on a flat snow surface to strap in...no friction at all.

I'm recuperating from all of that, but otherwise it's been pretty epic. I'm just waiting for some actual decent powder to fall!
  • caveats
    Options
    My second day this past Saturday was much better, but still had difficulty levels of about 7-8 out of 10 in the sliding snow conditions all day. It was 47 degrees. I'm breaking in a new board and my p-tex is completely untouched, so my board got nicknamed "Secretariat" because boy was it fast. It met now resistance from the loose wet packed snow that turned into a literal ice skating rink by sundown. I had a couple bad falls on the ice and that did me in. I couldn't even keep my board from moving on a flat snow surface to strap in...no friction at all.

Haha I love that you named your board. My beginner board was a Cornice 141 that had the word "Naked" on the bottom, so it was the "Naked" board, LOL. Really creative, I know! I now ride a Burton Lux 150 with Burton Stiletto bindings, but no name. It's a seriously killer board on powder, but I'm having the same problem with the ice skating rink, and since it's a bit large for my size/height (I'm 5'3" and 130 lbs.), I can't get any traction AT ALL even when I'm full on stomping on my heels. UGH!

I'm only at 9 days riding this season and it's sad that opening weekend was the best riding conditions so far. I still have the "Naked" board, but I'm reluctant to go back to it ... <3 the Burton.
    I'm recuperating from all of that, but otherwise it's been pretty epic. I'm just waiting for some actual decent powder to fall!

I know I'm a spoiled UT snow diva, but ... aren't we all. :sad:
  • dreambig_gohome
    dreambig_gohome Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Haha I love that you named your board. My beginner board was a Cornice 141 that had the word "Naked" on the bottom, so it was the "Naked" board, LOL. Really creative, I know! I now ride a Burton Lux 150 with Burton Stiletto bindings, but no name. It's a seriously killer board on powder, but I'm having the same problem with the ice skating rink, and since it's a bit large for my size/height (I'm 5'3" and 130 lbs.), I can't get any traction AT ALL even when I'm full on stomping on my heels. UGH!

I'm only at 9 days riding this season and it's sad that opening weekend was the best riding conditions so far. I still have the "Naked" board, but I'm reluctant to go back to it ... <3 the Burton.

I know I'm a spoiled UT snow diva, but ... aren't we all. :sad:

Haha OH! Yeah, I'm having to deal with crappy Midwest snow conditions, which basically change three or four times throughout the riding day, that is if you put in an 8 hour sesh like me. I'm wanting to move to Utah because that's GOTTA be better then what I'm riding through....ice rinks and grass tops and all...and you have, you know, mountains. Haha.

My board is an M3 Halo 145 true twin with Rome Shift bindings. I may even go with a shorter board when I'm up for buying a new deck. [I'm 5'5" and 150 lbs]. I wanted something I could basically do anything with, when I get around to being good enough. I can freeride, freestyle, rail and half pipe if i want. Who knows if Secretariat will last that long, but for now I'm loving it and REALLY glad I didnt start learning with the crappy Rossignols at the resort. funny thing, I dont even have a nickname for my car...but the board gets a name right out of the gate! Haha. True love!