Eating Healthy...On a VERY Tight Budget

Options
One of the things I find is the hardest about eating healthy at college is not going broke in the process. Healthy food is expensive at the stores around my campus, and fresh fruits and veggies always seem to go bad before I can finish them. Does anyone have tips on how to get the best deals on healthy food?

Replies

• SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    The greatest thing I found out is that some 99 cents stores sell produce! Not gross kind, but great produce! They also sell tuna, yogurt, hell they have a great selection of healthy foods!!! If I were you I'd look up stores like walmart n the 99 cents stores to go shopping! :D
  • AlexEconomics
    Options
    I've discovered that grocery shopping twice a week allows me to buy perishables like broccoli, lettuce and yogurt in amounts I'll actually use. Plus, having less food in my fridge makes it easy to see what's there and plan healthy meals.
  • Nicolette_Karls
    Options
    Those are great suggestions! The other problem I seem to have is that I only have access to a microwave. We aren't allowed to have crock pots or little grill tops. Is there a way to make chicken in the microwave? My only fear is that I won't heat it up enough and I'll get sick.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Don't cook your chicken in the microwave... I'm sure you can google alternatives.
  • anasf139
    anasf139 Posts: 101
    Options
    I would never recommend cooking chicken in a microwave but I have seen ads for steam bags. Basically you put the chicken or whatever in and it cooks the chicken in the steam....not sure how they work though.
  • DetectiveDavis
    DetectiveDavis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I bring coupons and I only shop at Wal Mart--even though I am opposed to their practices. Also, I buy a lot of fruit frozen. Fruit that is flash frozen is perfectly healthy for you. Frozen strawberries(thawed lol) for instance are great in yogurt parfaits, salads, and as snacks. Also, I buy things in large sizes and separate/chop them myself because its much cheaper. For example, I buy the big tubs of plain yogurt rather than the individual cups of flavored yogurt--then I flavor mine either with honey, fruit, or both. I live off a graduate stipend so I DO NOT have much money, but these practices allow me to spend less than $200 a month on healthy groceries.
  • josee91
    josee91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    buy at bulk bin stores (bulk barn is my fave): you get bulk prices but you're buying only the amount you need
    be careful though, it's easy to get carried away and give in to the bins of candy. focus on the healthy foods: beans, nuts, rice, cereal, make a list if it helps you stay on track