DDR

Options
KCherry
KCherry Posts: 61 Member
Does anyone else play Dance Dance Revolution as a form of exercise? :)

Replies

• CrawlingChaos
    Options
    I used to play DDR way back when arcades existed. I have since upgraded to Dance Central. No more river dancing!
  • MuffRuff
    MuffRuff Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I play DDR sometimes in my home for exercise. Like CrawlingChaos, I also love Dance Central. I find it much more fun for me to do these games for exercise than something like running.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I haven't played DDR in ages but I used to. I found it to be a fun cardio exercise.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    <
    Its been one of my two main exercises for the last 8 months! What level do you play at?
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I haven't been able to find a suitable pS2 to play it on (I'm searching high and low for the big clunky ones, not that crappy thin Ps2 model). If I am ever able to have one to call my own again, I'd gladly play DDR all day, every day.
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yup, I have the GameCube DDR Mario Mix, which I play on the Wii (I don't like the Wii DDR because it has hand motions which I've never been able to master). So glad I have an older Wii with the GameCube hookups!

The only thing I don't particularly care for is that every so often I have to try and move the sensors back to their place in the dance mat, but for as hard as I treat those things, it's worth it. (I've beat the game on Hard, but now I'm attempting to get through it on Very Hard and it's...well, not going as smoothly as one might hope.)

I agree; great cardio workout!
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    The arcade's the only way to go! Love those giant metal pads. Can't wait to get back to weight where I feel comfortable DDRing again. Although I must say, the music has gone significantly downhill since DDRMAX2.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Lucky you getting so many mixes! All we got was Euromix 1/2, and crappy Fusion. The huge places here for Supernova, but not us :(
  • VelvetKey
    Options
    The arcade's the only way to go! Love those giant metal pads. Can't wait to get back to weight where I feel comfortable DDRing again. Although I must say, the music has gone significantly downhill since DDRMAX2.

Agree! If I could find somewhere to buy an old machine and stick it in a spare room, I would definitely do it!

Nothing quite makes a satisfying 'chunk' noise like a metal pad to let you know you got the steps right.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I play this as a "warm up" to circuit training...even though I burn about as many cals playing as doing circuits.

Also there is a way to hook a ps2 matt to a ps3, just a btw
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I play DDR! I don't use it for exercise though. Just for fun. :D
  • daybehavior
    Options
    Lucky you getting so many mixes! All we got was Euromix 1/2, and crappy Fusion. The huge places here for Supernova, but not us :(

Ah yes the dreaded Euromix :( I definitely feel for you. Sad that Europeans got the short end of the stick considering DDR built its fortune on Europop tracks (which are incidentally the best ones in the game). Supernova is OK, but they jammed too many crappy American R&B licenses for my taste. Out of curiosity, do you guys have In The Groove machines there?
    Agree! If I could find somewhere to buy an old machine and stick it in a spare room, I would definitely do it!

Nothing quite makes a satisfying 'chunk' noise like a metal pad to let you know you got the steps right.

Yes exactly this!
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Yup, we got ITG and PIU. Cant stand either tbh...

We did have an Extreme near me for a while, and a rare 4th mix, but both have gone now :(

As for home pads...you try doing Max 300 expert on a soft mat.....sigh....
  • VelvetKey
    Options
    Yup, we got ITG and PIU. Cant stand either tbh...

We did have an Extreme near me for a while, and a rare 4th mix, but both have gone now :(

As for home pads...you try doing Max 300 expert on a soft mat.....sigh....

You used to be able to buy the hard boxes on Ebay...this was years ago when DDR had only been released for PlayStation and PC. At the time, they were around $200 each; that was on my list for a long time! I even had adapters for PS controls to USB, so I could play it on my computer...

*sigh* Oh, the old days...
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I used to before I started 30ds. Just the same, I broke one of my pads, and the other is not as responsive, so it became a bit irritating to play
  • daybehavior
    Options
    Am I just lame or does anyone else listen to DDR mp3s while workin out?

Gotta have these while I'm gettin my jog on:

-Captain Jack (Grandale Remix) / Captain Jack
    -Pluto Relinquish / 2MB
    -Happy Angel / jun
    -Dam Dariram / JOGA
    -Hysteria 2001 / NM
    -Superstar (Neverraka Mix) / DayBehavior
    -DO IT ALL NIGHT / E-ROTIC
    -BA KKWO / Lee Jung Hyun (this song just makes me wanna go out and punch someone in the face actually)
    -Sweet Sweet Love Magic / jun
    -Love <3 Shine / Riyu Kosaka
    -Witch Doctor / Cartoons
    -Cartoon Heroes (Speedy Mix) / Barbie Young
    -Sexy Planet (Momo Mix) / Crystal Aliens
    -The 7 Jump / Ken D
    -Your Rain (RAGE Mix) / Mary Elizabeth McGlynn
  • AmberXenon
    AmberXenon Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think when I move I'm going to invest in a steel dance pad for the PS2. The price has dropped now, at least. >w<
  • Jovialation
    Options
    Hey - can you link to some good cheap steel pads? Im pretty bad at finding em myself.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Craigslist is where I got mine. Theres a lot of people who are graduating college whose parents are getting rid of their old pads. Where I got mine
  • Jovialation
    Options
    Thats where my boy got our foam pads...I destroyed the plastic or w/e on em tho. They're mostly tape right now cuz the cracks were so big that I was tripping on em