Riding a road bike in the rain.

Options
wellbert
wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
So, my new CAAD 10 5 was supposed to come in last Friday. It didn't, and the LBS has no idea where it is. I assume I'll be getting it sometime this week - just in time for a solid week of rain.
I don't do patience well, and there's no way I'm waiting 2.5-3 weeks for a bike just to have it decorate my garage.

I've never ridden in the rain (or ridden a road bike for that matter)

Any quick tips in anticipation of my bike actually materializing at the LBS this week? I'm not so concerned about myself getting soaked as I am for the bike itself and basic safety.

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    concrete is like a sheet of ice when wet on a bike .....
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Rain is bad mmkay
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Find a very deserted stretch of road to ride on in the rain. Your stopping distance will be greatly compromised, but more importantly the visiblity of cars and their stopping distance will be compromised. So unless you can find a deserted stretch of road to go out and play in the rain, I'd skip it until the weather improves.
  • wellbert
    Options
    I have a MUP that's isolated from cars that's only a hop away. The downside is - it floods so I'm not sure how far I'll get on it.

I can just imagine. The brake would have to go around the rim once to wipe it, then it gets more water on it, then it has awful stopping power...
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've ridden in the rain lots of times on my Cannondale Synapse. I am one of those fools who even starts a ride in the rain, yet alone continue riding once the rain starts.

Tips:

* Watch for paint stripes on the surface. Water beads up on them easily. Makes em kinda like ice.
    * Oil-slickened spots on the road are worse than they are under drier conditions. Extra caution is advised.
    * Unless you have disc brakes, be prepared for longer breaking times and be prepared to use the brakes properly given the wet conditions.
    * Your visibility to other vehicles on the road is less in the rain. Plus they don't expect you to be out there as much. Wear bright stuff and use lighting. Make your capacity for situational awareness even greater in inclement weather.
    * If you know it's gonna rain, I find wearing a helmet with a visor is helpful.
    * "Handle with care."

Be safe and happy wet riding!
  • wellbert
    Options
    Thanks a bunch!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Many experienced riders ride in the rain, but I do not (excepting when I get caught out!) My lbs owner strongly discourages riding in the rain, whether road or mountain biking. The shop guys all ride rain or shine, the owner discourages it. He says that the bike picks up grit when it's wet and the grit migrates to lots of places where you don't want it. It becomes like sandpaper to rims and brake pads and finds its way into any opening in the frame, or suspension for mtb riders. Maybe this is just local due to some geographical predisposition to grit, or maybe it is universal, I don't know. But he never rides in the rain and cancels the rides he leads. My mtb brake pads wear out frequently enough as it is so I have followed his advice and do something else on rainy days. Plus we have a lot of redneck drivers around here that are dangerous enough on nice sunny days. In the rain it is mayhem! I frequently see cars off the road in a ditch. Crazy drivers here! Mountain biking avoids that issue but increases the grit factor. That said, I rode my mtb on an icy, snowy, muddy trail the other day because I drove three hours to get to my favorite trail and was not going to be denied! Of course I spent half a day cleaning and lubing the bike afterwards, and while it was worth it I usually don't have that much time. So while many good riders don't hesitate when it rains, I pass. Ask your lbs owner about local conditions.
  • DrIanKellar
    DrIanKellar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    *boggle*. If I didn't ride in the rain, I'd get much less cycling done. I've never thought once about not cycling in the rain.

Bikes aren't made of sugar and nor are cyclists. Don't let a bit of water keep you off the bike.

Tips - get some Crud Roadracer MK2 mudguards if you are going to do it a lot. Use Finish Line Green lube. Give your front and rear mech a quick spray of WD40 when you put it away (or ride fixed). Get the best waterproofs you can afford if you are going to ride every day, all year around. Go a bit slower in to corners, brake a bit earlier. Watch our for spilt fuel on the road.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just rode in the rain on Wednesday, you just have to watch riding on wet lines. They are as slick as ice. Also, make sure that you clean and lube your chain afterwards. Rain gear is very helpful.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite rides ever were done in the rain. I was caught in a deluge 10 miles from home last Fall. By that point I figured "eh, I'm already wet, may as well keep going," so I finished my planned 45 miler. Most of the last 65 miles of the One Day Ride Across MI were done in the rain last year, too. As others have said, pick a quiet route and start slowing/braking early. You'll still be able to brake faster than I did riding my CX bike in the snow, yesterday. Cantis are really miserable when slush is involved.
  • wellbert
    Options
    That's awesome, Zoom2.

Rain might not come! Of course, my derailleurs are maladjusted. Once I get that sorted out (lbs can't...) then I'll be on the road!
  • zoom2
    Options
    Ooh, and this brings to mind the gradual increase in disc brakes on all types of bikes. Someday I would like to have a road bike and CX bike with discs. It may take a while to trickle-down, though, especially for midrange and entry-level models. DH thinks we could do discs on my CX bike if I were to get a new fork. It's tempting. I could get something custom painted and wild, that way. Someday he wants an "über bike" -- a custom CX bike with a second set of wheels mounted with road tires, that way he'd only need one bike for everything but mountain stuff. He'd definitely get disc brakes on that ride.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Love the way discs look on a bike. What was the name of that company with disc brake road bikes? I can't recall... Specialized sued them recently.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i hate discs
  • zoom2
    Options
    Love the way discs look on a bike. What was the name of that company with disc brake road bikes? I can't recall... Specialized sued them recently.

Volagi, I think...? Yeah, our LBS owner and I were talking about those. He seems pretty impressed by what he's seeing from them.