Finding the Balance

Options
I've recently started back at work after maternity leave. Before work, I was able to get into a routine by going to the gym in the morning. I was able to keep that routine going when I first started back at work. But recently, I've lost the momentum to continue getting up early in the morning (which is the only time I can fit in working out). Sleep has become very important and since I'm nursing exclusively, that has also become a top priority, getting in that extra pump. I'm sure there's many of you who have or are experiencing this. What have you done to find the balance?

Replies

• lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My son is now 15 1/2 months and I exclusively pumped breast milk for 12 months. I work in the fitness field so I managed to stay on top of my workouts by getting up early in the morning (4:30am) to pump milk and then right after that I would go workout down in my basement. It was pretty tiring but in the end it worked out for me because that was really the only time I could get in my own personal workout (I also teach fitness classes at my place of employment). After I stopped pumping when he turned 1, I was able to "sleep in" until 5:45 am and workout. He usually wakes up around 7:30-8am.

I am fortunate enough to have my own fitness equipment (treadmill, weights, kettlebells, resistance bands, DVDs) at home so I dont need to join a gym. If you dont have the time to go the gym, maybe buy a few exercise DVDs (Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper, Jackie Warner) that combines BOTH cardio and strength training. You can get a really good kick butt workout with their videos in only 30-45 minutes.

Hope that helps.
  • kewwy1
    kewwy1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Although I didn't breastfeed for very long, I have just returned to work and my baby girl is 8. For me, getting fit is a top priority.

I find doing it in the mornings is the easiest, so it doesn't cut into my time with bub after work. Trust me, it's hard juggling full time work, then squeezing in cooking/cleaning and spending time with my girl and partner as well as exercise.

If you are finding it tough, perhaps set an alarm for a week to get up a certain time so you are used to it. Then once you're used to getting up at the time it will be a lot easier to get up and work out :)