Does your size make you feel invisible sometimes?

Options
SlinkyNewMe
SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
Mine does. I mainly feel invisible when I am around younger people. It makes me feel really annoyed - just because I am fat and middle aged, doesn't mean I don't have anything to contribute. Hmmph!

Replies

• sdolan825
    Options
    Funny you should say that. I have recently gone back to school to get my Nurse's License...well lets just say I feel really OLD. Its funny that its not only the "kids" in the room hardly talk to you, but the teachers , who happen to be younger than me as well, look at you like there is nothing in the world that I could say that would be interesting. I have to wonder if its my size, or my age or both.
    But I do know its NOT my brain...that is working just fine....for now anyway! ;)
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    i feel so bad about my size i make myself seem invisible to get by.
  • Ellejay40
    Options
    I can honestly say my size has never Made me feel invisible, in fact I often feel like everybody is looking at me......until I joined the gym....and oh my god, as far as men I concerned, with all those size 10s in bra tops I may as well be wallpaper! I used to think that even though I was large I was still borderline attractive bit the only time I turn heads is if I grunt on the treadmill, pmsl.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    I can honestly say my size has never Made me feel invisible, in fact I often feel like everybody is looking at me......until I joined the gym....and oh my god, as far as men I concerned, with all those size 10s in bra tops I may as well be wallpaper! I used to think that even though I was large I was still borderline attractive bit the only time I turn heads is if I grunt on the treadmill, pmsl.

LOL! Size and being over 30 - not a great combination these days. However I did strut my stuff at Zumba this morning and left most of those younger men in a panting sweaty heap on the floor. Hah!
  • lollye51
    lollye51 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It is amazing that being bigger makes you invisible, what a contradiction LOL May try shoplifting just to see if my super power really does work! ( only joking, could'nt run that fast anyway).
  • Ellejay40
    Options

LOL! Size and being over 30 - not a great combination these days. However I did strut my stuff at Zumba this morning and left most of those younger men in a panting sweaty heap on the floor. Hah!

Now that I'd like to have seen ;0) lol
  • PamelaHenD
    PamelaHenD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The only time it did had more to do with ex husbands issues than with me. He made me feel that way but come to find out he was a cheater from before we were even married. So now it makes sense. But with others no. Even if I am with my son who is 20 it does not happen. Most people don't believe I am his mom any way...lol. So I grin and enjoy it.
  • Greenhaven44
    Greenhaven44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes I end up taking the mickey out of myself before anyone lose does :sad:
  • ansata
    ansata Posts: 52
    Options
    Well its like this, I am not invisible but I sure feel like I am the only one because I can never find clothes that fit unless you consider Grandma stuff. I still feel and look young. I can still pull off the latest fashions (when I am not in my slouchy clothes) But they never have the size I need. Either everyone is a size two or everyone is a size twenty! Because I can find little clothes all day long. I have to go through the store to find stuff that may fit. But it is something an 80 year old would wear. I have actually had a crying fit in the parking lot of a store.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I think I became fat to feel invisible, or as a reflection of the fact that I felt invisible in the first place.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Mine does. I mainly feel invisible when I am around younger people. It makes me feel really annoyed - just because I am fat and middle aged, doesn't mean I don't have anything to contribute. Hmmph!

This sad realization was one of the factors that made me determined to reach my goals. It's amazing, how you just seem to fade into the background, and feel so unattractive....you walk,talk,dress and act differently when you aren't confident about your looks...etc.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options

This sad realization was one of the factors that made me determined to reach my goals. It's amazing, how you just seem to fade into the background, and feel so unattractive....you walk,talk,dress and act differently when you aren't confident about your looks...etc.

That is so true! I do not want to feel invisible, and yet I felt that I was beginning to accept my invisible-ness (I know that's not a real word!) without thinking. I stopped colouring my hair and wanted to "accept" the grey? Why? I started to "accept" the big size clothes. Why? That is so not me!
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

That is so true! I do not want to feel invisible, and yet I felt that I was beginning to accept my invisible-ness (I know that's not a real word!) without thinking. I stopped colouring my hair and wanted to "accept" the grey? Why? I started to "accept" the big size clothes. Why? That is so not me!

I know! I was starting to accept it and even chalked it up to my age....like you, that is NOT me at all!

Guess what ladies, when you start to feel better about yourselves, those appreciative glances do happen again. I find it entertaining! I just had someone message me on facebook and said I look hot and will you marry me...I looked at this guys profile and I graduated 2 years before he was born! :laugh:
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Weird. I never thought of this. Hmm. Well, I guess I'm invisible in photographs. Sounds weird eh? Well, I love photography BUT I hate being in my own photos. I feel like a beluga whale ruining the shot. So I guess I become invisible to make the world I see pretty. Ironically, I look in the mirror and I don't see a super fat chick but I do in photographs. Anyone else have that experience?

Monica