New Vegan

Options
I just completed my first 24 hours of my new way eating, primarily to reduce symptoms of Sjogren's Syndrome. Day #1 - zero brain fog or fatigue. NONE! Interesting. That's enough to keep me motivated to do this for the rest of my life!

Replies

• claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey! Come here if you have any questions! Eating Vegan has really helped my healthy, it will be good for you too!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    YAY! This group is really supportive and I hope you enjoy your new way of life as much as we do! Being healthy is the best motivation!
  • LucybellMocha
    Options
    Thank you Clara...Lots of new things to learn. Having to learn to cook "from scratch" is new to me, but I enjoy it. I packed my pantry, fridge and cabinets full of spices and foods to get going! Tried the vegan mac and cheese tonight. Was halfing the recipe and failed to half the tofu...oops. It still wasn't bad, but too thick! Will try that again another time. :)
  • LucybellMocha
    Options
    StylistChick, thank you. I was excited to find this group, since no one else in my family is doing this with me. I'll need support! Its going really well and I feel better, have more energy and no brain fog or fatigue. :) Also, so far, I'm having fun making and trying new things. :)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    StylistChick, thank you. I was excited to find this group, since no one else in my family is doing this with me. I'll need support! Its going really well and I feel better, have more energy and no brain fog or fatigue. :) Also, so far, I'm having fun making and trying new things. :)

I love making/trying new things too! My family thinks I'm weird and I haven't admitted it to most of them. Luckily my husband is supportive even though he's decided not to jump on board with me. that's why there are communities like this!
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This is really great news and very promising that you reacted to the change so quickly! Keep experimenting! You might be able to isolate specific food intolerances. It can take 6-8 weeks for problem foods like dairy or gluten to be totally out of your system so stick with it! In general raw vegan (or mostly raw) is considered the most calming to the immune system. But it's possible your Dr. might be worried about the possibilities of rare infections from raw foods. Continue exploring whatever makes sense to you. Best of luck!
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    For some great recipes try these websites:

Fat Free Vegan
    Oh She Glows
    Post Punk Kitchen
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Great! Welcome to veganism :)

The cooking part is what got me messed up last time I went vegan. I ran out of time (or got lazy) and I was sick of cooking two meals (one vegetarian and one vegan) as my hubby isn't interested in my vegan cooking.

What helps me is cooking ahead. I cook on the weekends and double or triple the recipe and freeze everything, so I'll have a freezer full of foods. Helps a lot in my case!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Wonderful news! Glad you are feeling so good on your new way of eating! Welcome to the vegan team! :^)
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yay for you!!! There is often a vegan "high" but there will also be times when it can be difficult (when you are a newbie).
    Ohsheglows vegan blog always helps me out when that happens. Amazing recipes there.
    Wish you all the best.
  • patriotmom2271
    patriotmom2271 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not Vegan, but stumbled across this group last night and decided to come in and look around anyway. I went over and looked at the 21-day kickstart site and at the recipes there and really liked alot of them.
    I'm really looking into different ways of eating, but I would have NO support at home if I choose to go Vegan. I'm just tired of being overweight, eating greasy or fried foods and feeling so bloated I don't want to move afterwards...even if I don't "overeat."
    It's going to take me lots of research and experimenting with recipes to decide whether I will be able to stick to it for the long term, but I am willing to give it a try.
    Trisha
  • v35lmt
    v35lmt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not *really* vegan either, but my fiance and I have been eating vegan in January, after all the garbage we ate over the Christmas holidays. We both feel great! I don't think we will go full vegan as we both *love* cheese, but we're very strongly considering going "at home" vegan where we'll only eat vegan friendly at home, but we will continue to eat dairy and eggs when out at restaurants or eating at other people's homes.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful!
  • LucybellMocha
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement and support. Also, for the recipe websites - I plan to check them out. Still feeling much better! However, I tried a coconut milk-based vegan chocolate covered ice cream (non-dairy) bar and I think I have identified a cocoa allergy! My mom and brother are allergic, but I never thought I was until day 8 feeling great, great skin, etc - within a few hours of eating it, I grew a monster zit and had a slight headache. I can mark vegan cocoa off of my list of things to eat!
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm not Vegan, but stumbled across this group last night and decided to come in and look around anyway. I went over and looked at the 21-day kickstart site and at the recipes there and really liked alot of them.
    I'm really looking into different ways of eating, but I would have NO support at home if I choose to go Vegan. I'm just tired of being overweight, eating greasy or fried foods and feeling so bloated I don't want to move afterwards...even if I don't "overeat."
    It's going to take me lots of research and experimenting with recipes to decide whether I will be able to stick to it for the long term, but I am willing to give it a try.
    Trisha

Not sure if u are in same situation as when u first posted this, but I want to encourage u if ur considering veganism. Eat to Live is a nice read, (or catch it on audiobook while ur at the gym). But I wanted to tell u the double-dinner-dance is doable. (a little alliteration to make it more enticing?). I hv been married to a meat-loving hunter for 11 yrs. he is retired and takes complete care of our home daily-- but i insisted that at least one homemaking job be left to me, and that was cooking. His son eats meat; my daughter is a vegetarian since she was born. The first yr was awkward finding the menu balance, but by yr two it was second nature for me. And while I wldnt hope for this in anyone's case, my family has slowly taken on more and more of my food-loves. My children are out of the home and adults now, but even my step-son orders general tao's "chicken" made with tofu when we eat out. My husband barbecues veggies and tofu on a separate grill on the BBQ with separate utensils ( I never asked, but it was much appreciated). It takes planning and a willingness to accept where ur loved ones are on their journeys. This is doable. But u hv to commit to loving food preparation and planning, and not allowing "burdensome" to be present on anyone's dinner plate.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Not sure if u are in same situation as when u first posted this, but I want to encourage u if ur considering veganism. Eat to Live is a nice read, (or catch it on audiobook while ur at the gym). But I wanted to tell u the double-dinner-dance is doable. (a little alliteration to make it more enticing?). I hv been married to a meat-loving hunter for 11 yrs. he is retired and takes complete care of our home daily-- but i insisted that at least one homemaking job be left to me, and that was cooking. His son eats meat; my daughter is a vegetarian since she was born. The first yr was awkward finding the menu balance, but by yr two it was second nature for me. And while I wldnt hope for this in anyone's case, my family has slowly taken on more and more of my food-loves. My children are out of the home and adults now, but even my step-son orders general tao's "chicken" made with tofu when we eat out. My husband barbecues veggies and tofu on a separate grill on the BBQ with separate utensils ( I never asked, but it was much appreciated). It takes planning and a willingness to accept where ur loved ones are on their journeys. This is doable. But u hv to commit to loving food preparation and planning, and not allowing "burdensome" to be present on anyone's dinner plate.

I found this extremely encouraging, my husband and i had a talk yesterday about my new eating habits (currently vegetarian, but hope to be vegan or at least ova-veg soon) and have been navegating around the whole double dinner dance ;)
  • LucybellMocha
    Options
    Emily,

Thank you for your advice. Strangely, my family of carivores have nibbled on some of my foods - my husband loves my hummus and my daughter really enjoyed my eggplant not-parmasean (spelling?).

You're right about the double-dinner; its really not too bad. I have tricks I do to make it more simple, such as keeping a variety of vegetables washed and sliced in the fridge, which makes for quick preparation for my meals. Also, sometimes, I can incorporate our meals, like when we have tostadas - I just make mine without the meat.

The planning has become part of life and very second nature. I plan my meals in advance, and have quick things on hand (vegan friendly organic soups, frozen meals, etc), just in case we are unexpectedly in a rush.

Really, the only thing that throws me is when we unexpectedly find ourselves in a restaurant before I've had the opportunity to look over their menu/nutritional information, but even that has worked out well for the most part.

Overall, I love eating vegan and in addition to the prior listed health benefits, after 2 months of veganism, I find I have little to no joint pain and no migraines for the first time in TEN years!!!!!! Any obstacle eating differently from everyone else is so worth it just to feel good again. :) So thankful!
  • justplainoleanne
    justplainoleanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am a new vegan as well. I developed a horrible case of pancreatitis last summer due to a gall bladder issue (or so the doctor's think). The gall bladder is gone, but the pancreas is still very unhealthy. My new doctor said that meat and dairy are difficult to digest and recommended (insisted) I move to a vegan diet. I have no issue with doing that, I want to get better. I do not know any strict (or for that matter, real) vegans. My husband is not supportive, but he has never been supportive of anything I do, so I don't really care. My sons are mildly supportive as long as I continue to cook meat for them and do not try to force them to eat what I do. I have been doing this for almost two weeks. Food doesn't seem to be an issue, but I am curious about physical changes I seem to go through. Have any of you experienced changes?
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am a new vegan as well. I developed a horrible case of pancreatitis last summer due to a gall bladder issue (or so the doctor's think). The gall bladder is gone, but the pancreas is still very unhealthy. My new doctor said that meat and dairy are difficult to digest and recommended (insisted) I move to a vegan diet. I have no issue with doing that, I want to get better. I do not know any strict (or for that matter, real) vegans. My husband is not supportive, but he has never been supportive of anything I do, so I don't really care. My sons are mildly supportive as long as I continue to cook meat for them and do not try to force them to eat what I do. I have been doing this for almost two weeks. Food doesn't seem to be an issue, but I am curious about physical changes I seem to go through. Have any of you experienced changes?

What kind of physical changes are you refering to?

Maybe TMI but being veggie or vegan means being flatulant. That's just the way it is, me thinks.
  • justplainoleanne
    justplainoleanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options

What kind of physical changes are you refering to?

Maybe TMI but being veggie or vegan means being flatulant. That's just the way it is, me thinks.