Trip Reports

Options
JoniBologna
JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
Hey Colorado friends!

I apologize for being such a slacker on this group. Partly, I have been discouraged by the lack of people wanting to join. Please feel free to invite any other Colorado hikers you know of MFP. And a big THANK YOU to those of you who have joined.

Now, I thought this would be a great place to post pictures/trip reports of hikes you've done.

A couple weekends ago, I went to Carbondale for the weekend. While I did not do any hiking, I found the perfect mountain to add to my to do list. Mount Sopris has an elevation of 12,965ft, with an astonishing gain of 6,250ft. This is the largest gain of any mountain in Colorado. The trail is approximately 6 miles up. I can't wait for summer and to be at the top of this peak!

34eroye.jpg

Replies

• PoochPottery
    Options
    That is so beautiful!!

Not sure how to post pictures? I have a ton!!
  • mtycksen
    Options
    Wow, I kinda like this idea of being able to share favorite hikes in Colorado. I have done quite a few 14ers, but I am ready to tackle some of the lesser ones. I love just watching the flowers blow in the wind, the scenery from a mountain top, the wild animals and the friendly people. I am looking forward to sharing some of the pics that I have taken and all the advice of great trails to hit from everyone. So here goes, on with 2012 and let's definitely add people to this blog.
  • Sackit
    Sackit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have kids so the hikes I have done have all been kid friendly. My two favorites have been Hanging Lake near Glenwood Springs and Maroon Bells between Snowmass and Aspen. I would love to hear of more that are moderately difficult so the kids can enjoy! Teach them young to appreciate the Colorado Beauty! I added pictures not sure how to get them here though.:wink:
  • rmnp_pam
    rmnp_pam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a RMNP addict from Kansas. I have hiked many of the trails in RMNP, including Longs Peak. I love hiking and backcountry camping in RMNP. Our family has been vacationing there for the last 23 years, many times more than once a year.
  • mountaingirlmandy
    Options
    Hi all!
    My name is Mandy and I suppose I am the newest member! Yea! I found a mountain climbing group! Nothing is dearer to my heart than my 14ers. I am a flat-lander from the Midwest and used to travel 3-4 times each year to Colorado to hike, climb and camp. I have enjoyed 24 (yes, I include Cameron from the Decalibron!!) 14er summits and have many more I would like to see. I'm not adept at blogging...I'm more of a reader, but I'm with PoochPottery when she says she has a ton of photos and would love to share them! I am hoping to make a trip out this summer for another climb after many years of missing my mountains. I lost quite a bit of weight before joining MFP -- nearly half of what I wanted to lose. Now, MFP is helping me lose the remaining excess baggage. It's nice to meet you all! Hooray! Maybe a "Colorado Hikers" group climb should be in our future at some point.

If you look at my weight loss ticker on my profile, you'll see a photo I took a few years ago of the Sawtooth between Bierstadt and Evans from Guanella Pass. I had hoped to negotiate that ridge, but weather did not allow that luxury in my limited time frame. I decided I'd rather live to summit another day than to chance never making it across.

Happy week everyone!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If you look at my weight loss ticker on my profile, you'll see a photo I took a few years ago of the Sawtooth between Bierstadt and Evans from Guanella Pass. I had hoped to negotiate that ridge, but weather did not allow that luxury in my limited time frame. I decided I'd rather live to summit another day than to chance never making it across.

Hi Mandy. I must admit I am too chicken for the Sawtooth myself. I love to hike and climb mountains, but anything with a lot of exposure is not my thing. Welcome to the group!