Newbie with Questions

Options
utahk
utahk Posts: 10 Member
I've gone through these materials and would like some confirmation if I'm doing this correctly. My BMR is 1350. My maintenance is 1620 (using a 1.2 factor). I used 1.2 since I'm generally sedentary, although I work out 1-2 hours per day on 5-6 days per week. I do sit a lot with computer work during the rest of the day so I'm not using a 1.3 multiplier as in your examples. To reach a 1000 calorie per day deficit, I'll have to burn through 730 exercise calories. That means if I burn more than that, I can eat them, up to 1000 calories. Is that correct?

Now I have another question. Using this approach, it looks like I should not "eat" any exercise calories in general unless I burn more than 730. So can I get the same result by simply eating my BMR, and then not eating any additional calories unless I exceed 730 exercise calories? Just wondering..... The goal is still to eat around but not less than your BMR, and then to eat exercise calories only if you exceed the 730.

Please advise. I've struggled with how to use the exercise calories, and it feels like I'm eating way too much if I eat them all on every day I exercise.

Replies

• shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Sorry! I had quoting issues! lol
    See below!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've gone through these materials and would like some confirmation if I'm doing this correctly. My BMR is 1350. My maintenance is 1620 (using a 1.2 factor). I used 1.2 since I'm generally sedentary, although I work out 1-2 hours per day on 5-6 days per week. I do sit a lot with computer work during the rest of the day so I'm not using a 1.3 multiplier as in your examples. To reach a 1000 calorie per day deficit, I'll have to burn through 730 exercise calories. That means if I burn more than that, I can eat them, up to 1000 calories. Is that correct?

Yes, this is correct.

Eat 1350.
    Goal set to 1620.
    This gives you a daily deficit of 270, which translates into an approximate loss of 0.5 lbs. per week.
    Now I have another question. Using this approach, it looks like I should not "eat" any exercise calories in general unless I burn more than 730. So can I get the same result by simply eating my BMR, and then not eating any additional calories unless I exceed 730 exercise calories? Just wondering..... The goal is still to eat around but not less than your BMR, and then to eat exercise calories only if you exceed the 730.

Please advise. I've struggled with how to use the exercise calories, and it feels like I'm eating way too much if I eat them all on every day I exercise.

If you want to lose more than 0.5 lbs. per week, you need to burn more calories. You can burn up to 730 calories without eating your exercise calories (assuming you aren't hungry enough to eat them). If you were to burn all 730 calories in a day and eat none, that would give you a 1000 calorie per day loss, which would translate into about a 2.0 lbs. loss per week.

Considering how close you are to your goal weight (I am guessing by how low your maintenance calories are in comparison to you BMR), I wouldn't expect to lose more than 0.5 to 1.0 lbs. per week, so I would aim for a 1,750 to 3,500 calorie deficit per week, or a daily average of 250 to 500 calories.

I generally average about a 5250 calorie deficit per week all things considered, which is about a 1.5 lb. loss per week.
  • utahk
    utahk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! Great to get the feedback, and also the additional info. I'm 15 lbs. from goal, and would indeed like to lose more than .5 per week. Your suggestion was fabulous. Good luck to you!