Breastfeeding - but have not lost a pound!

Options
Has this happened to anyone else?

I am breastfeeding, and although they say it makes you lose weight, I have not lost a pound even though I breastfeed exclusively!

(No disrespect intended, but if you lost weight while breastfeeding, I am not really interested in hearing how the weight just fell off...I want to hear from those for whom it did not come off.)

Replies

• Anuta78
    Anuta78 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi - my weight was stuck and then started coming off in stages. I would not loose a pound for the first 3-4 months and then all of a sudden I lost 6 pounds over a week. Then same thing happened at 6 months and at 9 months. But I have to admit it was really frustrating when the weight would not budge in between. I am now on my month 15 and weight started coming back on? no idea why!!!!

Good luck and don't worry it will come off.
  • unofourthree
    unofourthree Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you think it could be what you're eating? I feel like I'm not loosing any weight at all either.
  • mrsmellymac
    mrsmellymac Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? are you including the extra 500 calories a day?
  • LauraLouFace
    LauraLouFace Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think it might depend on how many calories you are eating per day - also, no matter what I did I couldn't drop any weight until my LO was about 6 months old, and I've heard of a lot of other mommies who said the same thing. It's like your body is holding onto your fat for dear life to ensure the baby is getting enough! Even now, though I'm still exclusively breast feeding and he is almost 9 months old, I can't seem to shake my last 10 lbs. I've heard it will probably fall right off after I'm done nursing...my advice is to make sure you are eating enough to keep your supply up (and eating healthy) and work out when you can, and just be as patient as you can. That's easier said than done, and I know that for a fact! The weight did not just fall off with breastfeeding, I think all it did was enable me to eat a little bit more than I normally would, and it's been hard work losing weight, but it can be done!
  • bangel121
    Options
    I am only 7 weeks out from my 2nd c-section and it took for ever with my first... I'm afraid it'll be the same this time. :( I didn't lose any until I was done BFing.
  • solongmuffintop
    Options
    I am sooo with you! I was a vegetarian pre-pregnancy, gained about 35 lbs during pregnancy while eating tons of meat, now I'm a breastfeeding vegetarian of an exclusively-breastfed 9 month old and I still 25 lbs heavier than I was before I got pregnant. It is so incredibly frustrating!

And get this...I also have my period. Since month 1 post partum, not lighter, not occassionally, just a full on regular period! So I'm PMS-y and fat, greeeeaaaatttt!

(Sorry, this thread really struck a nerve for me, didn't mean to turn into a rant-fest!)
  • Thanks, ladies.

Some very helpful info. I am not used to seeing so much weight on my body and I guess I just assumed I would go right back to my pre-pregnancy weight by now.

One day at a time...:)
  • LauraLouFace
    LauraLouFace Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel - before I got pregnant I had worked really hard to drop 30 lbs and was in the best shape of my life, I had even developed muscle tone and felt awesome. Then I gained 50 lbs with the baby and I was pretty depressed about the extra weight after he was born. I had worked SO hard to take it off initially, and promised myself I would not go nuts eating junk during pregnancy - oops :P I really do think it's true - 9 months to put it on, 9 months to take it off! The important thing is to just keep plugging away! It's so easy to get discouraged and give up. As long as it's not stressing you out or keeping you from being the best mommy you can be, just keep at it! Good luck :D:D:D
  • peachypie1984
    peachypie1984 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's weird... I've heard some people say, like you've heard that the weight just falls off from BFing. But then I hear the opposite too that weight can really hang on because your body needs that extra fat to help with milk production. And then it falls off once baby's weaned. I hope I'm in the former of these two theories!! I just started my exercise and to track my diet and I REALLY wanna lose these 10 lbs!! But I'm not willing to stop BFing early to do it! My son is 4 months old.
  • Mama2HnC
    Options
    I'm with you mama! Getting SICK AND TIRED of hearing all those mamas say " I do nothing and it just keeps falling off"... my baby is 6 1/2 months eats every 3 hours, and I run, pilates and eat well.. I've lost a bit...
    It's just not fair. I'm pretty bitter! LOL, but I Casey's health is more important than me fitting back into my jeans!
  • kelelliott
    kelelliott Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    my baby is 6months now and i have only lost about 21 lbs with at least another 20-30 to go. i have been at this stand still for ever. i have starting jillian michaels 30 day shred in hopes that it will turn my fat into muscle, seeing as diet is not the issue.