Winter Workouts.. what do you do???

koylefam
koylefam Posts: 142 Member
So since we live in Idaho.. what do you do for a winter workout???? I LOV to run. But as a working mom, am not brave enough to do it alone in the dark (5am)... how do you keep moving in the winter weather???

Replies

• k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    I had a wonderful cross country ski with my granddaughter yesterday. I am praying for more snow so I can ski in town. It is a great total body work out and burns lots of calories.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    K9, It'd be fun if it snowed that much down here in Boise!

Koyle, I'm running too, but my schedule is flexible enough that I don't usually have to go very early or very late in the dark! When I do need to go, I prefer early AM dark as opposed to evening. There are less cars and creepers out! I hate treadmills, but maybe that's an option for you? Either own one, or go to a gym at 5 am instead of being out on the roads.

I'd also like to hear what others do. This is only my second winter here, and it's a lot colder that what I grew up with in California (Greater Bay Area)! HA!

LEIGH
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    We don't have the snow in Idaho Falls this year either, I had to drive to Harriman State Park (83 miles), but it is worth it! Check out park and ski on the internet to find areas near you.
  • Jtarter55
    Jtarter55 Posts: 1 Member
    Where in the Bay Area are you from? I grew up in Livermore, and have been in Idaho for almost 7 years! I have come to enjoy the winters here, although the lack of snow this year is slightly annoying. I have three young kids so I go to Idaho Athletic Club because they have a daycare there. I tried working out at home last year, but with my kids running around i found too many reasons to stop my workouts halfway through :-) I have a long road ahead of me (my goal is to lose 100 pounds this year!) so I could also use all the support I can get! Great job on all of your hard work!!!
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    I went to high school and college in Stockton. I moved to Fort Worth, Texas for a couple of years, then when I went back to California in 1997, like a typical young adult I bounced around for a while: Newark (East Bay), back to Stockton, then 10 years in Sonoma County (Guerneville for a year, Santa Rosa for a year, finally settled for eight years in Forestville).

So far, I am very much enjoying Idaho weather! The summers aren't any hotter than what I grew up with in the Central Valley, and it's fun to have a real winter. It's cold, sure, but not like in Minnesota or something! hahaha

You can ABSOLUTELY shed the weight you want! The calculation that MFP uses to determine your daily calorie budget is the real deal -- the same calculation used by nutritionists and doctors.
  • eldersherry
    eldersherry Posts: 4 Member
    Hi everyone! Its great that this group is around! I was nervous I wouldn't find anyone in Idaho on here :) I was concerned about staying active during the winter too. I grew up mostly in Southern California and finished school in Oregon. I had never even really seen snow until I moved to Idaho with my husband in April! He said watching me at the window was hilarious because I acted like a little kid and in truth there was only like an inch :p To keep moving though, besides netflix workouts, I go to the mall before the stores open. I don't have to worry about my baby girl getting cold and there are enough people to keep her attention while we do laps. Plus mommy gets to window shop :D
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Well the snow has hit some places... skipped good ole rupert.. we got about 3 inches and rain all night and all day... As for running I have no treadmill, and no $ for the gym :-( so I will just muddle throug the winter adn hit it HARD as son as it's light early enough... I did have a great 4.5 mile run last saturday when it was 50 degrees