Height of your family: yourself, kids, parents, siblings.

Options
bt_13_21
bt_13_21 Posts: 47 Member
It's no surprise I'm a tall person (6'). I come from a very tall family (dad 6'6", mom 5'9"). My brothers are 6'7" and 6'4". My mom's family isn't super tall (my mom is the tallest of her sisters, and nearly as tall as her brothers), but my dad's family is really tall. My grandma was 5'11"!

I was always among the tallest in my class as a child and when I was born I was over 10 lbs. My brothers were too!

When I was growing up I always thought I'd have big kids like me and my brothers were. Well, I ended up adopting twice, and having 1 bio son. My bio son isn't big.. at all. My hubby is 6'0" like me, but has a naturally slim/athletic build. It's our son's build exactly. So far my bio son is average height and below average weight. My kids that were adopted came from Guatemala and Korea. Countries not exactly known for height. :) It's weird to me that my kids are all average sized!

I always thought of our height as our "family trademark" and now that I have my own family I'm really the only tall one! (well, dh is slightly over average at 6', but I don't think that counts. lol).

As for my brother, he is 6'7", married a girl who is 5'7" (I know, a shortie stealing a tallie lol). They have 1 son. He was 11 lb 12 oz at birth and is a giant. My nephew is 3 months younger than my oldest son, but is a head taller and far heavier. lol

It's just weird. You never know.

Replies

• SuperStorm
    SuperStorm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My dad comes from a taller family but is about the tallest one at 6'3" which I believe comes from his dad (I never met the man) because it seems that my grandma and her whole family were all of average height or shorter (we're not close) but my mother is the tallest of what little I know of her family, coming in at 5'7" with my grandma being about 5'2".
    I only have one sister and she's about the same height as me. I'm really not sure which one is technically taller. I was a 9+lb baby but she was a little smaller.
    My husband is 6'5" and by far the tallest in his family but they're all average or a little over. He was also a 9+lb baby and that always scared me regarding us having children LOL
    Unfortunately we had issues in the fertility department so we may never know about babies of our own...
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My whole family is tall: we range from 5'9" - 6'4".
    I'm 5'11" (the "baby"), have 2 brothers: 6'2" & 6'4", My Dad was 6'2" and my Mom is 5'9". For my maternal side- the shortest cousin is a female at 5'8" the tallest is a male cousin at 6'5". Dad's side ranges from shorties (can't even guesstimate) to my 6'5" uncle. (Does anyone else not pay attention to how short most people are- just so used to it?!?)

The first time I met my husband's family- I described it to my Mom saying, "I felt that I was in a room with a bunch of white Africans." All the men in his family are over 6' and they are all SKINNY!

MyDad made a comment about how rare it is for a woman to be taller than her daughter in this day and age- so if I ever have biological daughter- I can only imagine how tall she may be! (I have no children)
  • BassesGirl
    BassesGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My immediate family is all fairly tall...mom is 5'9, I'm 5'10, father is 6' and brother is 6'2.

My fiance got lucky, his dad is 6'4 but his mother was 4'8! Luckily he made it to 6' :)

Oh and just for fun, I have a friend who has a house of giants. His mom is the shortest at 6'2, his brother is 6'4, father is 6'5 and he is 6'11!!
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    The height skipped a generation in my fam. I am 5'11, my brother is 5'10, my mom and dad both 5'9. My grandfathers were 6'1 and 6'2. My moms sisters are 5'9 and 5'10. My dads sisters are both about 5'5 or 5'6. My cousins on my moms side are 6'1 (boy), 6'6 (boy) and 6'2 (girl). and my cousins on my dads side are 6'0 (boy), 6'0 (boy), 5'9 (girl), 6'3 (boy) and 6'2 (boy).
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Hubby - 6'2"
    Eldest son - 6"2"
    Youngest son - 6' 4"
    Me - 5'9" (i am the shrimp in the family)

My eldest son would kill for my youngest son's height. The eldest plays college bball. My youngest has the height and doesnt like bball at all!!! Go figure!
  • MamaLutt
    MamaLutt Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Me: 6'
    My mom: 5'8"
    My dad: 5'10"
    Sister: 5'6"
    Brother: 6'2"
    Brother: 6'4"

My siblings and I are stair stepped in the reverse order of our ages. So, the youngest is the tallest, the next is shorter, and so forth. The oldest is the shortest.
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Me 5'9", mum is 5'7 or 8", Dad's 'just' 6 foot, brothers are 6'3" and 6'5" so we think it's a second generation thing.

I don't have kids but 2 nieces who probably have the tall gene - one's just a baby but the other was born 'tiny baby' size (her mum is only 5'4" ish) but with really long legs, and she's just zoomed up since.

Our family trait is weird long toes.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Me: 5'10"
    Dad: 6'
    Mum: 5'0.5"
    Brother: 5'8.5" (ha ha)
    Sister 1: 5'6"
    Sister 2: 5'2"

Aside from my dad, I am the family giant. As my mum was always telling me as I was growing up how lucky I am to be tall, I have never had a complex about about my height. I am in my mid 40's now, and I don't feel that I am that tall compared to the generations that came up behind me, but I was very aware of it as a teenager. I don't think that I would want to be short.

ps. I also have long toes, I have had people tell me that they are like fingers. Maybe we share the same gene :laugh:
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" (was closer to 9" growing up)

EX husband 5'10" (on a good day)

Our kids all boys:

Oldest: 6'2"
    Middle: 5'9"
    Youngest: 6'3" (maybe 4)

My grandfather was a bit over 6'; Paternal grandfather a bit over 6'.........

I am the tallest of my siblings, almost as tall as my dad :smile:
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    ps. I also have long toes, I have had people tell me that they are like fingers. Maybe we share the same gene :laugh:

haha! 2 of my boys have toes as long as my pinky finger!!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Me: 6'1"
    Brother: 6'4"
    Dad: 6'1"
    Mum: 5'10"

I was a tiny baby at 3lb 10oz (but I was 8 weeks premature).

My grandparents were all below 5'8" so it can't come from them!!
  • cupcake721
    cupcake721 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0" (maybe 6'1" depending on the day.. haha). My dad was 6'4", mom's 5'11" and my "little" brother is 6'6". I'm the absolute tallest, barring my brother, on my mom's side. But, my dad's side is full of my peoples! They're all ranging from the smaller 5'9" (one boy, some girls) to about 6'3". I guess I had no chance for being small. I was born at 22in and 9+lbs. Woah. Sorry, mom!!

I'm pretty sure my children will be giant. I will birth a basketball team, I would imagine. We shall see!!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Mother 5'6"
    Father 6'3"
    Me 6'
    Sister1 5'9"
    Sister2 5'7"
    Brother1 6'3"
    Brother2 6'3"

Husband 6'3"
    Son 6'6" (Married a 5'2" shortie. What a waste!)
    Daughter 6'4"
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Dad-6`10"
    Paternal Uncles-6`8" & 6`6"
    paternal grandparents-6`1" & 5`10"
    Mom-5`6" (the short one!)
    Me-6`
    middle sister 6`1"
    little sister 6`1"
    Husband 6`8"
    My husband and I have 3 bio sons (ages 13, 11, 7). Two are extremely tall for their age- they are both above the 100th percentile. The 13 year old is in the 60th percentile now but started in the 40th. It will be interesting to see what they end up at! Our 15 year old adoptive son is very short for his age-(our adoptive daughter age 20 is only 5`3". Our adopted kids are half siblings-same mom-she was very short.) The 13 and 11 year old are passing him up already.
  • mistersmithsbox
    Options
    My mom is 5'6 1/2.
    My dad is 6'1. (His full sister is around 6'.)
    I'm 6'2.
    My younger brother is 6'6.
    My half brother (21) is 6'3.

I don't know about my half sis (she's probably around 5'6) but their mom is around 5'5.

My maternal g-mother was 5'2 and g-father was 6'1. My MGF has female cousins at the 6' mark.
    My paternal g-mother was 5'5 and g-father was 6'3 (or 6'4).
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Dad: 6'4
    Mom: 5'10
    Sister: 6'1
    Me: 6'0

I also have two maternal uncles who are 6'5 and 6'7. We are a tall bunch, but when I hang out with them, I feel like a shorty.
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My Mum was only 5ft 2" and therefore believed if she was going to have children of a decent height, she needed to marry someone very tall....she whittled the choice down to a 6ft 6.5" tall doctor or a 6ft 4" pig farmer....

The doctor won out and they had two children - first my sister 5ft 7.5" and then me, 5ft 9.5"..... my mum and dad later got divorced (maybe she should've gone for the pig farmer!) and dad remarried someone 5ft 6" and they had one daughter whose 5ft 11".

When I'm out, it's pretty rare I see women taller than myself so I always think I'm really tall but then when I look at this community group, I almost don't feel eligible at 5ft 9.5" as there are so many of you ladies over 6 ft - where are you all hiding?!
  • smdt56
    smdt56 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm 5'9"
    Mom 5'11" My Grandmother was 6'
    Dad 6'
    4 brothers between 6'2-6'4
    husband was 6' he's now 5'10
    I have 21 and 27 year old son that are both 6'. One is built like is dad w/ shorter legs and long torso and one is bulit like me w/ long legs.
  • miseryhead75
    miseryhead75 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and then a little more. My father is the only man in the family over 6'. He's 6'3. My mom is only 5'5". Unfortunately, I inherited his man-hands and feet. No matter how thin I get, my ring size is still a 10, and shoe size is 12!

My son turned 15 yesterday and is 6'3". He's an inch taller than his father. My 13yo daughter is 5'7". She started this weight loss journey with me back in May, and lost 45lbs. I'm so very proud of her!