Picker Eaters

Options
xoxMandyxox
xoxMandyxox Posts: 104 Member
I have one, and it's quite possibly the most frustrating thing I have ever dealt with. We're not trying the "this is what I'm giving you to eat, if you don't eat it, that's your choice" method. Having her serve herself wasn't working, having her help make dinner definitely didn't work, and bribes didn't work (I know they're bad to begin with, but I'm desperate). The doctor, as well as dozens of other parents, suggest the method we're trying now.

This morning I offered her Chex cereal, Gerber freeze dried fruit snack things, an apple, and peanuts. She nibbled at the cereal and the fruit snacks, but that was it. For lunch I gave her 4 grapes and a quarter of a turkey sandwich, and a Pediasure (after we were all done with lunch, got up and cleaned up, not during or else she would have filled up XD). And tonight we're having steak and green bean casserole. I have to remind the family to not make a big deal about it, not even little "aren't you going to eat this?", "why don't you have one bite of that?"... Aside from already being a kid, she's sensitive and she doesn't liked to be asked certain things when she's eating. Even praising her while she eats for eating will make her stop :laugh:

Does anyone else have any picky eaters? Going through it now? Overcame that stage?

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I just have a 7 month old, but this peaks my interest! How old is she?
  • flamevixen
    Options
    all three of mine have gone through this stage at one time or another and it doesn't help that grandma and grandpa will cater to them and fix whatever they want when they want it. everytime i try to tell them 'no, they need to eat what is offered.' they go behind my back. my 10 year old and 5 year old are finally starting to eat meat again, and the 6 year old is still being a tiny bit pickier than his brothers. but its just a phase. and it won't hurt them to skip a meal here and there either. although the pediasure is good. :) try making milkshakes too... just take some ice cream and milk and blend it together in the blender. maybe add her favorite fruit in there.
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i have a picky 4 year old. but when she helps me make dinner, she will normally want to at least try it. it's a start and im getting her to eat a more things. i also will make meals around things she enjoys. she loves green beans (i personally hate them) so i will use that as a veggie more then peas. its an annoying phase but they do grow out of it. avoid saying that you dont like something or that you wont try somthing. that's what happened with our 10 year old and he still won't eat mustard just because i mentioned that i didn't like it once or twice.
  • lilymarie10
    Options
    I am a 25 year old picky eater. My parents always did the "if you don't eat this, then that is your problem". I liked almost all the foods my parents served, and then I developed a texture issue. It bothers me everyday! Foods I have always LOVED have become foods I can't touch. We had steak a lot as a child, and one day I hated it... ABSOLUTELY HATED IT! My parents grew frustrated and never understood.

This could possibly be the problem... I don't know how to tell, or how to get tested (I don't even know if you can be?)? But maybe this is the problem... is there something in common with the foods they don't like?

My worst is steak, ribs, roast, pork of almost all kinds... the rough tough on my tongue.. the chewyness...