What do you do?

Options
So you wake up in the morning and you can tell you're going to have a MSy day. You are tingly, or fatiigued, or whatever. What do you do? Do you listen to your body and slow down, take it easy, etc? Or do you push through and keep things as normal as possible? I have this fear that if I'm starting to have symptoms, I should slow down and take it easy. I'm afraid if I overdo it, I could make the symptoms worse.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Replies

• zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    I tend to try and start my day normally, even if only for 15 mins. If after that time I am still feeling the same, or worse I take a deep breath and erase my day in my head and go with the flow. If that means going back to bed and getting more rest, setting myself up in my chair and resting, or stretching out on the couch with my furry kiddos. I try and get all supplements in and some good protein right off the bat if I am feeling up to eating. I have an amazing lovie/caregiver that helps me out with all these things and that makes it a lot easier. I used to push through and not ask for help. Sometimes I did okay, but the majority of the time I did not. And even with the taking a slower approach, I can still launch into an attack.

I also want to say that this wasn't how I've always handled those Msy days. Took me a long time to come to terms wih myself, this disease, and really stop and take it easy. I'm a fighter. I push. I'm impatient as hell. But I like to think I am pliable and I learn. This is what works for me right now.
  • harleigh67
    Options
    I have found that pushing through makes things worse and is a set back for me, That overdoing causing massive body shut down and fatigue......You have to try to find your happy medium and a pace that doesn't cause you problems, Also when you wake up to a bad day you can still try to do somethings but don't push your self as hard as a normal for you day!
    I went to a car show I really wanted to go to and walking around for 3 hours wore me out I went home and fell asleep at 4pm.....I slept until 3 pm the next day.... I know I need to take a lawn chair and take breaks every so often so as not to wear myself thin......I have an easy work out day set up for when I have what my friend and I call a BED DAY.....I have resistance bands I can use laying in bed, books on health and nutrition I read, stretches I can do and that is my rest day i just shift my workouts over a day or two as needed on my calender then pick up where i left off!
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think you need to know what your body will do in both instances. For some people oushing through with the planned day can really backfire and for others it actually helps. I try to guage what the problem is - if I am just exhausted and staggering when I get up then I tend to take the morning off and get a few more hours sleep. If I'm just feeling the numbness or tingling or banding that I tend to get I get on with my day. I find that the less I focus on the pain the more I am able to get done. I don't have the option of taking a lot of time off because of my job. I'm allowed to take as much time as I need for my MS with no arguments but there isn't anyone else that can do my job in the firm. :noway: I really don't think I'm irreplaceable I just work in a very small firm. :laugh:
  • rocky282
    rocky282 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I usually push through and regret it. I do have 3 small children and a husband who is disabled. So even on my bad days I can't really afford to take a break. I do go to physical therapy though for my last big problem and my therapist keeps lecturing me on slowing down and listening to when my body needs a break. Sometimes I have pushed so hard that I end up with a screaming headache and vomiting from the pain. Other times I push to hard and the next day my legs have no strength and I can't even trust them to walk without help.

I agree though with Benji49, some folks strive with the pushing, and others like me and several other posters on here, crash and burn. Good luck deciding what works for you!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I don't know...it depends for me. On Tuesday during my workout I noticed I was getting kind of tired and not as able to work out as much...So then I took Wednesday off, but Thursday same thing. So I took off yesterday and today. But tomorrow will be trying to do some interval running on the treadmill, so we'll see how that goes. Hopefully taking it easy last couple of days will help. In general I think you have to pay attention so I'm trying!
  • jgsm
    jgsm Posts: 16
    Options
    It was a really hard lesson for me to learn, but I try to listen to my body as much as possible. Mornings are by far, physically, the best time of the day for me- so if I'm feeling it then, I usually can't count on things improving much as the day goes on. And although it takes a serious internal lecture to convince myself to slow down, I know if I don't, I will regret it. And probably the rest of my family will too, because I'll get really cranky on top of everything else. Just not worth it.