Fibro and POTS?

Options
Hello! I'm Lauren and I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, which is a dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system, which basically controls all bodily functions) at age 10 and 12. When I was younger, I was in in dance and gymnastics and had a 6 pack. Ever since, I have been having trouble exercising and am out of shape. I use my walker at school evey day. Any ideas for exercises for someone with pain and dizziness, but are very effective?
Thanks!

Replies

• bouquet77
    bouquet77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey Lauren, I also have FM and find that walking and yoga are a good one for me helps to relax your muscles and your mind and in moments of Fog i use relaxation meditation cds to try and shift it ! good luck hunx x x
  • JoyfullMovement
    JoyfullMovement Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hello Lauren,
    I have Fibro and the last several years has been a real challenge. I have always loved to exercise but it makes my symptoms worse. I started Belly Dance last spring and love it. It is a great workout and easier on the joints than many others forms of exercise. Some yoga aggravates my fibro but now I have found a style that helps. Keep looking and trying things to see what is a fit for you. If repetitive movement makes you susceptible to injury, switching things up frequently will help. I have a ton of DVDs to turn to. Happy hunting!
  • hoopsky
    hoopsky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and have found walking in a pool does not cause a flare up (unless I over do it.) I do yoga as well.Teri
  • lucky410
    lucky410 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauren Lillian!

I am 18 and was diagnosed with FM at age 15 and POTS at 16. I understand what you are going through. Have you ever done physical therapy? That may help. Also, the wii and wii fit might help you. I had a little trouble at first, but after awhile, I noticed improvement. I also heard a segment on nightline that said any exercise that is not gravity bearing, such as stationary bikes can help relieve the symptoms. I hope this helps and I understand exactly what you are going through. I used to be a really good dancer and did a lot of theatre and musicals and was really skinny too. I have been schooled by tutors that come to my house for a year and a half due to this. I have a goal to get back soon though :)
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yoga is good. But saying "yoga" is too broad. I'm thinking yoga that ha an emphasis on seated rather than standing postures. Given your difficulties with balance, yoga is good because, depending on the form, a lot of it is done on the floor. Pilates (mat) can also be useful for the same reason. I enjoy live classes, but you can try out a lot of free things online (I can't vouch for them in particular, but i know that hulu has free workout videos, including yoga and pilates).

A lot of what makes yoga "a workout" is contained in the breathing, and through holding postures. Many people with autoimmune disorders find that this kind of "exertion" causes far fewer flareups, but also has a beneficial effect on the body.

Good luck.