To those who restrict, purge or feel 'too fat to recover'

Options
littlemili
littlemili Posts: 625 Member
Take a look at what will happen if you don't turn things around.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/littlemili/view/this-is-why-you-shouldn-t-undereat-197922

My blog from yesterday. I am not underweight enough to be anorexic, and some of this happened when my BMI was way above 20. Don't even think you are too fat for help. If you are overweight, normal weight or underweight, all this can and probably will to some degree happen to you. I have only been restricting for well under a year and most of the time managed to eat 1000 or so cals. So dont kid yourselves that you will be the one to get off lightly. I always thought 'it will never happen to me, I'm too fat, I'm healthy', and look at me now - irreversible damage to my heart and circulation.

Replies

• ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    but milli - you calories are still so low - surely you can see you are still doing this to yourself? Are you getting help for this?
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've been to the doctor yesterday, the doctor and ER today, and I'm on the books at an ED hospital being seen as outpatient and waiting for partial hospitalisation once a space is free. I'm doing what I can.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    The same things happened to me. My normally very thick hair is now thin and brittle, my nails break so easily, my skin is so dry and is very pale, and my body is heals at a very slow pace. Besides the physical symptoms, the mental ones are just as hard. I'm trying my hardest to recover but it can be extremely difficult. Good luck on getting better. <3
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    So what are you going to do to change it. The circulation will get a little better, unless your dead that is. Sorry for being so blunt but what is your body telling you? I love you and dont want that. Pay attention to your body. Forget the labels..anorexic, bulimic, ednos. because that isnt you. You have nothing to prove. And if those dumb *kitten* there cant see that you need help regaurdless of your BMI than that is just ****ed up. Yes your medicine is free but at what cost? Here you would be admitted..it just doesnt seem right...
  • luvlyjanny
    luvlyjanny Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    wow that sounds so much like me and it scares me so much... i wake up in the mornings feeling like my heart is trying to jump out of my chest!! and my fingers are constantly freezing. I am trying hard to kick the habit of restricting but some days i just panic when i weigh myself :( the sad thing is 6 months ago when i started to "cut down" on food my friend made me promise to never stop eating and i told her it wouldn't happen to me but here i am now struggling to get myself to even consider a slice of toast. thank you for sharing hopefully i can get myself on track before i do too much damage.
  • seekingthepatienceofjob
    Options
    Wow. Yeah, I never thought of it like that. I mean, I know all of that. I realize the damage Ive done to my body. I just think "Oh, that will never happen to me!" And it has. I dont wanna admit it. Im scared of that, because that means I have a problem. I dont want to have a problem. Your blog is terrifying for me. It is true. I wish it wasnt.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    As you know Milli I have damaged my body beyond repair but for those of you who dont I will share with you the things I have done to my body. How and why I am still here nobody really has answer for. But I used to abuse laxatives for many years. Along with the purging, exercising and restricting. Well one day my bowel perforated. I was bleeding in my stomach and I went to surgery and woke up with no large intestine and had a colostomy(a bag on the outside of your stomach that your poop comes in) After everything was able to heal that was reversed, but now I might as well live in the bathroom. Lucky if I make it there in time. I have damaged my kidneys(in kidney failure) have shrunk 2 inches from osteoporosis have severe pain in my back and jaw from the lack of calcium in my bones. Bad enough to have to take morphine. I have had countless blood transfusions as I have damaged my liver. My circulation is so bad that my hands turn white..they look like the hands of a corpse. and they hurt the same. I would love to exercise but I am to week. I am lucky enough to make it through a work day with out falling over. My teeth are chipping away as there is no enamel left on them. I take many pills because I have screwed up my digestive tract beyond repair. The only thing they can do to help me is to give me the colostomy back..rather wear a diaper than that. And some days I do have to. I am not old, but my body is. I used to think I was strong and healthy because at the time I was. All my labs were normal I felt ok, but 25 years of this causes a lt of damage. Almost died 2 times. One from the bowel thing and the other my potassium level was so low that my heart did not beat right. Combine that with everything else and it is a mess. Now besides having breakfast every morning I take 23 pills. Not all due to my ed but all are because of it. I am so tired all the time and my doctors tell me that it is from lack of nutrition. I argue with them but they are prob right. Some days it is so bad I cant even think right. I call of work those days too. This disease has cost me so much. So when you think that it wont happen to you remember I used to think that way to. And I was fit. I ran triathlons was a nautilus instructor. Time to open your eyes people...and just had 2 friends died from this damn disease.

I know you all are wondering why I still have my ed if it caused me so many probs. Well the longer you have it the harder it is to get rid of. I have really been trying these last 2 years. Been in and out of hospitals and I am not at my lowest but I am no where close to where I should be either. But I am trying...
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    you're so right. the biggest part of these illness's is psyc related. it dosent matter if someones a normal weight or not in cases like these because untold damage can happen at a 'normal' bmi anyway! im sure we all wish it never happened to us, but it did, i want to do whatever i can to stop it from happening to others. that sounds so lame!!!
  • seekingthepatienceofjob
    Options
    As you know Milli I have damaged my body beyond repair but for those of you who dont I will share with you the things I have done to my body. How and why I am still here nobody really has answer for. But I used to abuse laxatives for many years. Along with the purging, exercising and restricting. Well one day my bowel perforated. I was bleeding in my stomach and I went to surgery and woke up with no large intestine and had a colostomy(a bag on the outside of your stomach that your poop comes in) After everything was able to heal that was reversed, but now I might as well live in the bathroom. Lucky if I make it there in time. I have damaged my kidneys(in kidney failure) have shrunk 2 inches from osteoporosis have severe pain in my back and jaw from the lack of calcium in my bones. Bad enough to have to take morphine. I have had countless blood transfusions as I have damaged my liver. My circulation is so bad that my hands turn white..they look like the hands of a corpse. and they hurt the same. I would love to exercise but I am to week. I am lucky enough to make it through a work day with out falling over. My teeth are chipping away as there is no enamel left on them. I take many pills because I have screwed up my digestive tract beyond repair. The only thing they can do to help me is to give me the colostomy back..rather wear a diaper than that. And some days I do have to. I am not old, but my body is. I used to think I was strong and healthy because at the time I was. All my labs were normal I felt ok, but 25 years of this causes a lt of damage. Almost died 2 times. One from the bowel thing and the other my potassium level was so low that my heart did not beat right. Combine that with everything else and it is a mess. Now besides having breakfast every morning I take 23 pills. Not all due to my ed but all are because of it. I am so tired all the time and my doctors tell me that it is from lack of nutrition. I argue with them but they are prob right. Some days it is so bad I cant even think right. I call of work those days too. This disease has cost me so much. So when you think that it wont happen to you remember I used to think that way to. And I was fit. I ran triathlons was a nautilus instructor. Time to open your eyes people...and just had 2 friends died from this damn disease.

I know you all are wondering why I still have my ed if it caused me so many probs. Well the longer you have it the harder it is to get rid of. I have really been trying these last 2 years. Been in and out of hospitals and I am not at my lowest but I am no where close to where I should be either. But I am trying...

Im so sorry. That sounds horrible. I cannot begin to imagine the hell youve gone through, the hell you are living in because of an eating disorder. Some days are good, and I think I should recover and be healthy..but I always buy into the lies. Thanks for posting this, for sharing. Thank you.

EDIT: do you accept friend requests?
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    i think i need to go into recovery sometimes, but i am deathly afraid of going to the doctor. i think they'll just weigh me and tell me to eat.

i still purge several times a week (sometimes multiple times a day) and i have to FORCE myself not to restrict for my bf.

there's no treatment centers on maui, so i cant just sneak off and go either. i'd have to get treatment off island.