Needing Support

Options
Hello everyone!
I'm Jenny. I am 34 years old, married, no kids & I am bulimic. I am afraid i'm always going to have issues with my bulimia. Right now I am not binging & purging and I would like to keep it that way.
I am obese right now, which is why I am attempting to count calories & workout. This is extremely hard for me. When I count calories I find myself desperately trying to cut that number down. I do that for a few days & it falls apart & I binge. I'm so frustrated with the cycle.
I am hoping to find friends who understand what it is like to have an eating disorder to help support me & in turn I can help support them. Please add me if you are interested!
Thanks & good luck everyone!

Replies

• mistersmithsbox
    Options
    tschotschke@gmail.com

I am the exact same way. (Like... today.) Please email me if you ever need to talk. I have an iPhone - I check my mail all the time. :)

I wish you so much luck, sweetie. It'll be ok one day.
  • Beezer322
    Beezer322 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation <3

I too am bulimic and it can be EXTREMELY difficult. My doctor actually suggested I join Myfitnesspal so i could make sure I'm getting the nutrients I need, but I also find myself not wanting to reach my "calorie goal" and it leads to the b/p cycle. I'm totally here for both you you guys.

I have recently been better at cutting back on my b/p's but it still happens way too often.

I'm Bee.

Add me and feel free to message anytime :)
  • ElyssaElizabeth
    Options
    I totally understand! It's really hard to focus on getting healthy without obsessing about weight. I really struggle with this...I try to remember my goal (health, muscle/strength, eating ethically), and stop when I catch myself thinking about severe restriction, over exercising, being a size 2, etc.

Things that worked for me:

1) Therapy. Really, I need professional support. I found a therapist who is understanding, knowledgable, and doesn't focus on my eating disorder, but treats it as a symptom of a larger issue. It took me a long time to find my therapist, but I've been seeing him for years and he's helped me so much. Also, cognative behavioral therapy has really helped me to catch myself thinking negative or destructive thoughts and redirect before it turns into obession and shame.

2) Medication. I have anxiety (around food, of course, and other stuff) and major depression. I resisted medication, but since I started it, it has changed my life. Some people really do need help, and there's no shame in that.

3) Meditation. I'm not religious at all (atheist, actually), but I do meditate every morning. I also practice mindful eating, which has transformed my relationship with food. Meditation also helps by making you more aware of your thoughts throughout the day, and gives you practice in accepting and then letting go of negative thoughts.

4) Yoga. Just makes me more relaxed. Gives me a good workout without putting all kind of pressure on to overdo it. And when I'm calmer, I'm less likely to have an anxiety attack over food.

5) Putting away the scale. I take it out once a week to weigh myself. I can't have it lying around the bathroom...if I see it, I step on it, and that way lies madness and obsessing about literally every ounce.

Hope that's helpful!
  • 1sweetpea70
    1sweetpea70 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Im a 41 yr old recovering bulimic. I hadnt purged in 2 days, then, yesterday, i did. For me, its all about controling what stays in my stomach. Eat too much, purge. Eat something fatty, purge. But, i dont wanna do this anymore. Ive had YEARS of therapy and tho its been a long time since, i want to try and do this on my own, which is why im here. I have a controling personality and i dont know of any other way tp live. Im hoping to make friends with others in this situation. Im not here to judge or to be judged. Just looking for support. Feel free to friend me. I have an iphone and can always access this from there. I DO respond and comment, so, hope to hear from you...
  • luvlyjanny
    luvlyjanny Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi people, i'm 22 and i am also obese and have not been diagnosed yet but my dietician thinks i have anorexic tendencies! it's so hard to try and loose weight without becoming obsessive! i try so hard not to restrict but i get so anxious and feel really sick at the thought of it all.. i also get scared that i will binge if i start eating and end up putting on all the weight i have lost ... help would be much appreciated if anyone knows how to get rid of the dread and anxiety