Protein powder?

Options
anyone use/recommend any?

Replies

• Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    bumping this 'cause I'm wanting a Vegan protein shake too. I have to admit I'm using a non-vegan on atm. I bought a load on an offer & am using them up, once they're gone that it.
  • healthorhighwater
    healthorhighwater Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I even hit up whole foods last night and forgot to look -_-
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Anything by Vega is vegan. I think the other name is Sequel. They're all formulated by Brendan Brazier who is a vegan Iron Man athlete. He created The Thrive Diet which is a great book that has loads of recipes all vega, primarily raw.
  • NGMama
    Options
    Oh, I use the chocolate Shake n Go because it tastes great. Sme of the others in his line I find to be really gritty
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I like the unflavored (natural) Sunwarrior protein powder. I use it for meal-time smoothies when I'm hungry and in a huge hurry (I'm not a hardcore athlete or anything).

It's terrific with some frozen banana, berries and a splash of almond milk.
  • NGMama
    Options
    Do you find it's chalky/ grainy? I think I had the chocolate SunArrior and didn't love it. Might have to try the natural one. :)
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a little chalky, depending on how it's prepared. It works well at staying in suspension, even when it's only blended with almond milk, and the nutritional profile is very good for the price.
  • daw_etc
    Options
    I know this technically says "protein powder" but if you want a protein shake..I usually put tofu, soy/almond/coconut milk, and frozen fruit + bananas in a blender. Very easy. Very yum. Makes me full til lunch! If you like tropical; bananas, frozen pineapple, frozen mango, and some coconut oil is very good.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Anything by Vega is vegan. I think the other name is Sequel. They're all formulated by Brendan Brazier who is a vegan Iron Man athlete. He created The Thrive Diet which is a great book that has loads of recipes all vega, primarily raw.

I'm a huge Vega fan! They are based out of my hometown - so many people in the fitness industry around here use their products. I use the Performance Protein and the Whole Food Health Optimizer. They taste great, too!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Do you find it's chalky/ grainy?

BLEH I hate protein shakes that are like that! I wonder if it has to do with quality?

I haven't found any good vegan protein powders yet...
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I know this technically says "protein powder" but if you want a protein shake..I usually put tofu, soy/almond/coconut milk, and frozen fruit + bananas in a blender. Very easy. Very yum. Makes me full til lunch! If you like tropical; bananas, frozen pineapple, frozen mango, and some coconut oil is very good.

I think this sounds really good!
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I tried Vega. The chocolate one was doable with some bananas, the berry one I gagged. I haven't tried any others since those, however I just ordered some Hemp powder with a really high fiber content, so hoping to have some success with that. *sigh* I wish there was a way to sample them before you buy them.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I typically use a mix of Olympic Labs pea protein and Nutrobiotic's brown rice powder. The rice powder is a lot more gritty and chalky. I like the pea protein alone better but from what I've read, the mixture of the two results in a mixture of amino acids that is better utilized by the body. Also, I believe pea protein is associated with kidney stones if you use too much of it.

I don't drink either straight with water. I either put them in smoothies, or mix with peanut butter and almond milk to form a paste that I roll into balls. Sometimes I add in chia seeds as well.

I tried Vega's Whole Food Health Optimizer in chocolate. I got one sip down and gagged. My husband smelled it and refused to even try it (he normally drinks whey protein). I gave it a second go later, and still couldn't get it down.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried "Tru-Food Vegan" by NOW? It has pretty good reviews on amazon... and I'm broke so price is key :wink:
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use Garden of Life RAW protein powder. It's GF and soy free too. Since I eat a lot of soy, I wanted my protein powder to be soy free.

It's totally unsweetened and gross if you just take it with water. But I mix it with things and it's fine. Whole Foods has an instore oupon (in their coupon book) for $5 off that doesn't expire until January 31.
  • tannity2
    tannity2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I also use Garden of Life RAW protein powder and love it! I agree, it's an acquired taste with water, but it makes a great base for smoothies. Great for people like me with many food allergies.
  • rinalyn
    rinalyn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use Tru-Food Vegan powder. I have the natural flavor in 2.2 lbs. I bought 2 from supersupplements.com for $43.98 (total).
  • ajhaines5
    Options
    I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but Spiru-Tein is amazing. I have tried every other vegan supplement and they're either disgusting or texturally unbearable. Spiru-Tein blends nicely--no chunks that won't dissolve--and it tastes surprisingly good. I'm very picky and have actually been sick because of the texture/taste of protein powders (and I've tried them all) and Spiru-Tein is the only one that has stayed on my shelf. It also has a lot of supplemental nutrients, is gluten-free and non-GMO. The generics from Vitamin Shoppe are just as good and cheaper.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Vega Whole Food Optimizer rocks my world!
  • modine43
    modine43 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    try hemp protein its everything free and taste great. there is different flavors or plain, if you can't get it where you are try la muscle website, they do soya proteins