Clothing Size

Options

Replies

• miseryhead75
    miseryhead75 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This bugs me so much! I shorter person will go down a size in 10-15 pounds, but us taller ladies do not! At my heaviest, I was about 215 and a size 16 (I'm 5'11). At my lightest, I was 179 and fit into a couple of size 10's, but mostly 12. I'm currently 188 and between 12 and 14.

I have to agree. I try to stay positive and figure, at least I'm not buying new clothes every month, and it's saving me money! My 13-year-old is 5'7, and I started this journey with me. She's maintaining, but I had to get new clothes for her at about every 10 lbs. Fortunately, I can just borrow some of her clothes now.
  • awdhemi
    awdhemi Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10".

I started last July at 212 and in a 16/18 bottoms and L/XL tops.

I am currently 150 and wear an 8 in bottoms and M in tops.
  • cupcake721
    cupcake721 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yeah this gets to me sometimes too! I know it shouldn't matter what size you are, but DAMN I just wanna be a single digit. I'm a little over 6'0" and my current 178lbs puts me at a 10 or 12 (mainly 12). But, even at my lowest and most wonderful weight of 143lbs, I was a size 8 or 10 (mainly 10). I just want to be a solid 8. Or *gasp* would 6 even be possible?!

To be honest, I just want to be somewhat close to my friends' sizes when we're shopping (not that I can buy pants in stores anyway...) and for my bf to be like "You're so tiny!"

We'll see.

I'm down 2lbs today! Yay. :)
  • miseryhead75
    miseryhead75 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm down 2lbs today! Yay. :)

Congrats on your loss so far! Keep it up!

I too would love to be an 8 or under, maybe shoot for 6 when the weather warms up and I can exercise!
  • emmakey712
    Options
    At my heaviest, 212 pounds, I was in a size 16. Currently, at 160 pounds, I wear a medium in tops and size 8 pants. I even have two pairs of size 6 jeans!! Even in high school I wore a 10 or 12. I remember the first time I ever bought jeans in adult sizes (at age 9 or 10) I was in an 11. Last spring I tried on my "skinny jeans" that I hadn't worn in high school and they were (gasp!) TOO BIG!!

I never thought I would be in a size 8. It feels awesome! However I have had to spend a LOT of money buying new clothes. You tall ladies know that long pants are hard to find and generally don't come cheap.

When you're tall like us, clothing size is variable and sometimes not a great indication of your body's actual size. I still have a pair of 12's and 14's that I wear and although they're a little baggy, they still fit.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am not sure your age but over the last several years clothing has been made to vanity sizing. There are several forums on here where people talk about having been one size in school then 10,20 and 30 years later gaines 30-50 lbs and still wear the same sizes. I have a pair of size 8 Gap jeans from 10 years ago that are more like 6's now.

Just curious about other tall gals like myself. I have weighed between 204 (highest) and 165 (lowest) in my "adult" life and have only ranged from size 12-14 (jeans and dresses), I'm currently at 178 pounds and go back and forth between the 2 sizes depending on brand. I have never fit into 10's even in college when I was down to 165 I was still a size 12. I'm 6'0. I do feel more comfortable in certain dresses and jeans when I am lighter though.

Have you seen big clothing size varience with weight loss/gain?
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 233 and in an 18. I was in a 16 bottom (I'm a textbook hourglass, so my boobs were a 14, waist was 10, and jeans were 16) about two years ago when I lost some weight and I actually felt super sexy and awesome, so I can't wait until I get down to my goal weight.

I'll probably be running naked down the streets, I'll be so proud of my body.
  • Lydiabee_4
    Lydiabee_4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11" and I weigh 202lbs....currently I'm a size 14, but I would LOOOOOVE to be in a 10. My goal weight is 170. =)

p.s. I love this group. I always feel out of place because I'm so tall, but this is the perfect place to compare goals!
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm late to all of these posts, but I just recently found your group. Apparently I carry all of my weight in my lower half....no surprise to my mirror I'm sure. I weigh 170 and can fit some size 12 pants, but size 14 jeans. At my lowest weight 145-150 I was in size 10 jeans. I would like to be there again someday, but will settle for just fitting in my size 12 jeans again. In shirts, I can wear a medium in some, but mostly wear larges (for the length--I have a long torso).
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    :tongue: its so crazy how even at similar heights and weights we can be different sizes. I just bought some size 12 jeans last weekend and i am still like 202-203... just goes to show how everyone's body is unique :bigsmile:
  • alimee81
    Options
    I am 6'1" and currently weigh 185 and am wearing a size 12. I can SQUEEZE into a 10, but I'd much prefer a baggy size 12. I started this "journey" at 203 pounds and still wore a size 12. I had my second child and was 220 and wearing a size 14. My smallest adult weight when I got married was 135 pounds (and looking at pictures, it was way too small for someone 6'1") and I wore some size 6/8.

I don't really have a weight number goal right now, just smaller than what it is
  • jan_andrea
    jan_andrea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This makes absolutely NO sense to me :P I'm 5'11", 213 currently, still wearing a size 20 jean -- and so many of you are at my weight two months ago and wearing a 14/16! How does this work?! Am I shopping at the wrong stores? My 20 that I'm wearing right now is LLBean (total mom jeans -- next time I'll get low rise because these go to my ribs!), but my other 20s are Venezia or something. Granted, they're all seriously baggy in the thighs and butt (because apparently all size 20 women have big thighs and tiny waists?), and granted, my waist is 40" and my hips are 47", so I have to shop for the waist... but really, WTF? How come I'm not in an 18 or even a 16?
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I agree that sizes make no sense for tall women. I'm 6' tall, currently at 197#. When I started this journey, 40# ago, my size 18 jeans were too tight. But I am still in size 18! Granted, now I need to put them in the dryer to shrink them, and cinch the waist with a belt. My problem is the opposite of yours, jan, I have a much smaller waist than hips. And it seems that I am losing weight from the top down. So far I have thinned out the top half of me, but not made commensurate progress on the bottom half.

When I was at my skinniest, 145-155#, I was still wearing size 16. (Although I think those old size 16s were probably equivalent to today's 14s.) I really don't care what the number on the label says, but I sure wish there were more choice in hip width vs. waist width.
  • monala09
    monala09 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I weigh 222lbs at 5'11.5. Im in a very very loose size 18 pants. Ive ranged from 14-18 since i was 14...It'd be amazing to get in a 12. GW is 190
  • mashallej
    Options
    At 5'9 I am 210 and in a size (snuge) 14. At 140 I was a size 6/8 ( doubt I will ever see that again) so I am thinking that it has to do with build- im a medium frame- and where you lose weight.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and currently at 281. I wear a size 22/24, and between a 2x and 3x in tops.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" with a large bone structure and I was POSITIVE that I would never be below a 12, 10 at most...

Well, I wear Size 4 dresses now, S or XS shirts (that's an XS tank top in my profile pic), 4-6 in skirts, 6-8 in pants...

I have a low body fat % and a lot of lean body mass, so I look like I weigh quite a bit less than my 161 pounds (I was 294 at my heaviest and wore a 24W at that time in pants).
  • KristalDawnO
    Options
    You just became my motivation :):)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    You just became my motivation :):)
    I love motivating people, but I also don't want to set unrealistic expectations...

It's really not common to be this size at this height and/or weight, but I have come to the realization that genetics really blessed me with a tiny waist, so if you don't end up being a 4 (or 6 or 8 or 10 or even 12), that is OKAY! I was fit and healthy at a Size 14.

Just worry about being healthy! That is sooooo much more important than the number on the scale or the size of your clothing!
  • KristalDawnO
    Options
    Each person is going to be different. I am very proportionate all over, and have a lot of muscle. So I seriously doubt I will ever be that tiny, but I'm totally okay with that. I'm going to be the best ME. My ultimate goal is size 12 :)