To Garmin or not to Garmin, that is the question

Options
I want one pretty please, but not sure. Can't afford the Garmin 800 Edge (The BF has one and it's awesome) Was thinking maybe 305 Edge?

Replies

• Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    The 305 doesn't do mapping. If you want mapping but don't want to splash out for an 800, I would think about trying to get a 605 ot 705 on a deal? You can D/L Open street map for free, if you dan't want to buy the Navigator maps.

I have to say that I have had an Edge 605 for about 3 years or so and it is good, although the screen could be larger and the graphical interface and the way the maps look, in general are a bit out-dated. I have though about an 800 but just can't afford it.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    If I was in the market now, I'd probably go for the 500, unless I was intending going for power measuring at a future time. Garmin do have a bit of a habit of focusing on the current model, to the exclusion of the older, discontinued models - i know the updates and patches for the 705 seem to have pretty much dried up now and I'm guessing the edge 305 will be pretty much the same...
  • kerry0521
    kerry0521 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have the 500 now for a year and a half and I love it! But my needs are not for mapping/directional during the ride. I don't strike out on my own a lot, and I usually follow a plan or a marked route. I did not want the big piece of hardware on my bike and I don't want to look at it all the time.

I love that I get a map and all the data afterward, easily tracks my mileage, but during the ride I just keep the basic speed, avg. sp, distance etc. on the screen. I like the climbing data too! It's very motivational to see my ride data all in one place.

I bought the hr monitor and cadence sensor just recently but haven't installed it yet. I use the cadence and hr for winter training...currently have a Polar setup so it will be nice to combine them.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I want one pretty please, but not sure. Can't afford the Garmin 800 Edge (The BF has one and it's awesome) Was thinking maybe 305 Edge?

I have used a Forerunner 305 watch for years and I am quite happy with it. Sure, I would love to get an Edge, being rather gadget happy like I am, but until I get into a better cash flow situation (maybe after winning the lottery?), I will continue to wear it and use it until it finally gives up the ghost. The Garmin stuff is pretty decent; I think you can't go wrong to get your hands on any model and use the heck out of it.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    If you own a smart phone, you should just download a tracking app for it. Google has one that comes stock on android phones. You could download "endomondo" or "track my ride". I've used all three and like endomondo the most. I keep the cell phone in my backpack and use a cheap bike computer for real time info.
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    The BF has bought me a Garmon Edge 800 ( I have to pay him back though). His reasoning is that on a few of the spotives last year I got lost (sneaky devils remove / turn the arrows) and I end up googling my way back. Can't wait for it to get here. Thanks for all your advice, no doubt I'll have loads more queries soon :wink: . x
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm slightly jealous...
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Result!!

Seeing as your other half already has a 800, It makes sense to be honest, same mounts, accessories etc. I'm sure he's already awarre of the Edge 800 support forum at https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245 - a quick glance in there has just made me realise that they're having the same problems with the 800 as they had with the 705... The good thing is that they do keep coming up with new firmware builds, fixing some of the problems, the bad bit is - they got to version 3.30 and still hadn't got everything right on the 705 before dumping it to work on the 800 instead...
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I'm looking at the Garmin 405cx. I know it would be everything I need for bike rides, but I'm curious how I can accurately calculate calories burned while in the gym.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm slightly jealous...

Yup. Jealous. (Slightly) Enjoy!!! Once you break it in, would you consider posting your likes/dislikes?
  • amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I also like the Garmin 500 - use it for metrics during the ride and during indoor trainer rides (big this time of year) - I don't need the map access during the ride since I typically use ridewithgps.com to map the rides ahead of time and then update the file after the ride based on what I saw - I usually provide and use cue sheets for longer rides with others - I also have an older 305 which is still a pretty serviceable unit although looking at the map on the screen during a ride struck me as a great way to get into an accident! Garmin on line data massaging has appeared pretty good - I don't use it very much but my wife does for her workouts and it has been helpful for her. I see more folks going toward the 500 in the last year than the 800 but they are largely riding in known areas around town and not doing longer distance touring per se. Garmin seems to be making pretty good products - I have had good luck in getting units "serviced" (ie replaced) after a couple of catastrophic incidents on the 305 involving a car running over it.
  • dboskee
    Options
    I had a Garmin 500 and loved it, but my wife just got a new road bike and wanted a 500 and I wanted a 800 (my eyes need the bigger display). So I gave her the 500 and bought myself a new 800. Both are great, the larger display on the 800 really helps a lot.
    I tried the turn by turn once on a sunny day and couldn't see the display good enough.