does anyone belong to a gym?

Options
I joined Golds gym recently, though I feel a little uncomfortable using anything other than the cardio machines. Does anyone belong to a gym and use a personal trainer? and if so is a personal trainer worth the money?

Replies

• wisgal77
    wisgal77 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use the fitness center at my workplace now, but I have been a member of several gyms. The latest gym I was a member of, I mostly used the cardio machines, but if I had time I would use the various Nautilus machines. I just always made sure to take teh pin out wehn I was done so the next person couldn't see how light of weights I was using. :blushing: The free weight are was where all of the very serious gym people would be.

My cousin recently started using a personal trainer. She won it as a prize, but has decided to continue. She loves it and says the trainer really kicks her butt. It probably all depends on the relationship you build with the trainer.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm a member at Planet Fitness and so far have been very happy. They tout unlimited free training, however it isn't what I would typically think of as personal training. They will help you understand how to use equipment correctly and show you workout routines but they don't really spend time to go through a routine with you each week. When it comes to personal trainers, the quality can vary greatly and also you have to find one that fits your personality. Some work like drill sargents while others are just very supportive and encouraging. The good ones will take the time to understand your capabilities and customize a workout plan for you. Lower quality trainers just have set routine they give to each of their clients and/or can often times seem disengaged while you're working out.

I guess what I'm saying is that a personal trainer can be worth it but you have to find the right one that is not only a quality trainer but also matches up well with what you need from a trainer.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You should do an "interview" before you pay for a trainer to see if they are compatiable with you, as they are pretty expensive.
  • stephkuch
    stephkuch Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness..love it there!
  • passionatemom
    passionatemom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I belong to Planet Fitness and love it. It's close to home and doesn't cost an Arm and a Leg LOL
  • sheena_coleen
    Options
    I'm a member at Anytime fitness and its 100% better than the last gym I joined. Anytime gave me a free "assessment" just showing what a trainer would do, trying to sell it basically, but was still nice. Also they gave me an appointment to walk through and explain every machine. Which was awesome for me BC at the last gym I was clue less and it was jut full of "meat heads" I didnt feel comfortable at all..but at anytime I feel like I fit right in! :-)
  • Mirth
    Mirth Posts: 77
    Options
    I have a membership to Snap Fitness. The things that attracted me to it is that any location is open 24 hours a day, accessible by my entry card. It's very low key and very high on self-motivated people. It's got a comfortable balance of cardio and weights, whereas another gym I looked at was 95% weights, with the cardio machines all shoved in a corner. Snap also had a comfortable range of people (fitness, age, and gender wise) for me, which is important since I still suffer from fat-girl-at-the-gym syndrome.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I belong to the WI athletic club and LOVE it! I agree with the person who said interview trainers to see who you would work best wit. I have had trainers who did not get my goals and just put me on a plan that they felt was best, and then I found the best trainer in the world at my gym when I joined last year, he got my goals and made my workouts to cater to the goals.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I belong to Snap Fitness. The trainer there is fantastic, she worked with my youngest daughter over the summer and the results were amazing. She didn't fit my daughter around the plan, she made a plan for my daughter. I do agree that it's really important to interview trainers. I mean you're giving them money, you want you dollars worth!
  • nicolefrances1977
    nicolefrances1977 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I belong to Charter Firness in Kenosha
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Yes. and Yes.

I belong to Anytime Fitness and currently work out w/ one of their trainers about twice a week at the Wauwatosa branch. I am not new to personal training, this is the 3rd year I've been able to purchase sessions. Worth every penny.

For any fellow Anytime Fitness goers in the Wauwatosa or Pewaukee area that would like to keep each other going - please holler! Chit chatting on the cardio machines makes the time go by so quick - and I'm a great conversationalist. :flowerforyou:

Diane :heart:
  • esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I belong to Planet Fitness in Franklin. At $10 a month and no contract, it's a great starter gym. I'm currently only using it for cardio and stretching but they have plenty of weight machines as well. If you're a serious lifter it's probably not for you, but the price is right, the place is clean and it's open 24 hours. Having a location a few blocks from home helps for me too.