Juicing is ON!!

Options
My juicer broke on what was supposed to be the first day of my juice fast...3 months ago. We ordered the part that broke. Turns out it was on back order forever. Finally we cancelled the order and got a new one. So, we've been juicing all week! :bigsmile:

Last night we had some super green juice (fennel, dandelion, spinach and cilantro) cut with some sweet carrot and cucumber juice. Oh. My. Goodness. I never thought something so healthy could be so delicious. I'm pretty sure the only thing missing was some ginger root.

Anyone have good juice recipes to share?

Replies

• SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love having a breakfast juice with 3 celery stalks, a whole peeled cucumber, 2 bananas and 2 peeled oranges. It looks like liquid jade and tastes AMAZING.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ooh I have never tried to juice a banana!!!

My breakfast recipe for 2 adults and 3 kids under 6 is: 2 cucs, 2 carrots, half a beet, half a head of both chard and kale, 2-3 broccoli stems, 3 stalks of celery, an Apple, Orange and a pear, a 1/4 of a lemon and a hunk of ginger its delish!!!
  • verito
    verito Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Today I did for breakfast 2 apple, 3 carrots, and 2 celery stalks. Delicius!!!!
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love having a breakfast juice with 3 celery stalks, a whole peeled cucumber, 2 bananas and 2 peeled oranges. It looks like liquid jade and tastes AMAZING.

Do you juice bananas or blend them? I didn't think there was enough water content in them to juice them. I know the instruction manual for my juicer said no to soft fruits like bananas and avocados.

Aside from the cuke, that sounds amazing (I've never like cucumber, no matter what I've tried).
  • iheartyarn
    Options
    i get super complicated throwing everything into my juicer..its usually pretty fantastic.. but today and yesterday i have been trying more simple things..

1.5 apples, 2 stalks of celery and 5 or so carrots was surprisingly less carrot-y than i thought it would be!

last night i wanted something light so i did apples, cucumber and ginger...
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I made a drink with celery in it and found the flavor way to overpowering. does anyone else find this true too?
  • verito
    verito Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I put lemon drops and that helps with the strong taste of celery or kale.
    What is your favor juice?
  • iheartyarn
    Options
    its all about ratio's.. for me, i don't put more than 2 stalks in.. my favorite lately

3 small apples, 3 stalks of celery, 1 pear, 1/2 inch or so of ginger, and 2 cucs.. its nice and light! for a little more weight to it i added 3-4 carrots :D my husband and i split it all :D
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Just watched Fat, sick and nearly dead with my hubby last night. Ordered my Breville juicer and its on the way! Totally excited to reboot my system, especially after all the holiday goodies. What excites me most, is that my husband is willing to do this since he needs to lose 50 pounds and hopefully get off all his medications!!!!!

Thank you all for the great juice recipe ideas. I cant wait to try them all!
    Wendy
  • iheartyarn
    Options
    welcome to the group wendy!
  • Tofteberg
    Tofteberg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I want to try a juice fast but I have been afraid of how it might initially affect my energy. I work 10 hour daubs counseling and need to be alert. How has everyone's experience been with energy and focus?
  • iheartyarn
    Options
    when starting a juice fast, depending on your previous diet and lifestyle choices, its best to be able to carve out some time... from my understanding, the first 2 days you feel decent, maybe a little cloudy in the head, maybe tired , and the 3-4 day you detox, this can feel like you have the flu, after that though, you feel amazing.. on top of this world and high with energy... i just watched my husband do a 7 day juice fast to detox and this is what happened to him, and it concurs with everything i have read about fasting. i would say you need to carve out 5 days or so to begin, but after that you would be fine..
  • Tofteberg
    Tofteberg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I think I will look for a long weekend that would allow me to get started.
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    I am on day 23 and my nose cleared up about 5 days ago. It was stuffed for the rest of the fast. I am glad to see more people on here. I couldn't get enough support in November and gave up when my juicer broke a gear. I had another juicer but just used it as an excuse to eat. (no one in the house was fasting except me.) It is easier for me at least if people would just eat thier meals at regular times and at the table instead of being "polite" and try to hide thier eating from me. I would come around the corner and they would jump and I would get unexpectedly hit in the face with the smells of thier food. If I know it is coming it is better for me. Don't know why. Infact, My fiance was eating a tuna sandwich the other day and I took three big huffs off it and was just as satisfied as if I had eaten it. WITH NO GUILT!
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Today's breakfast juice is carrots, celery, spinach, peach, blackberries! It's yummy!!!

Lunch will prob be about the same except an apple instead of peach and blackberries, and add cucumber!

This is my 3rd reboot, I do them every so often for 5-7 days. Love how I feel afterwards!
  • rm830
    Options
    I want to try a juice fast but I have been afraid of how it might initially affect my energy. I work 10 hour daubs counseling and need to be alert. How has everyone's experience been with energy and focus?

1st 3 days are the hardest, you feel really tired, lethargic and cloudy. This was the case for me, my husband and best friend....by the 4th or 5th day max, you will feel so much better with tons of energy and clarity. If you're starting the fast, start on days where you don't work so you can sleep and you don't have to do too much. By the 3rd day, you should be able to work with minor difficulty. Good luck!!!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

1st 3 days are the hardest, you feel really tired, lethargic and cloudy. This was the case for me, my husband and best friend....by the 4th or 5th day max, you will feel so much better with tons of energy and clarity. If you're starting the fast, start on days where you don't work so you can sleep and you don't have to do too much. By the 3rd day, you should be able to work with minor difficulty. Good luck!!!

Thanks for this info as I'm just about to start..I have 3 days of each week...I'm a taxi driver and really can't afford to be feeling like death warmed on when working...
  • rm830
    Options
    I just finished mine...still drinking juice everyday, but eating again. Good luck, it's really a great thing to do!
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have now been juicing for 2 weeks! I feel fantastic! It seems like I taste things more, smell things better and overall, I have so much more energy!!! I have lost 6.5 pounds. I juice my breakfast and my lunch and then have a healthy dinner. I was concerned about feeling weak the first week I was doing this, so I was sort of afraid to exercise, but implemented that on the second week, and the juice fast and the exercise seemed to go great together!

i dont know if I will ever go back to eating 3 normal meals a day! I love my juice and when I miss a meal due to being busy, my body just craves the stuff!!!!
  • 72MonteCarla
    72MonteCarla Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I bought my first juicer last year, and juiced every morning. I primarily juiced greens - along with beets and ginger. I never did a complete juice fast, though. I wasn't about to haul my juicer to work. Also, when winter came around it was difficult to keep doing it because of the limited availability of greens. We finally have a market that sells organic greens year-round, so I think I'm going to try a juice fast. I also bought a second juicer that I can leave at work. I don't know exactly when I'm going to start it because I have some weekend plans coming up that involve traveling, and I won't be able to juice. I hope to start within the next few weeks. Thanks for sharing your delicious juice recipes!