Top 3 Favourite Vegan Books (Informational or Cookbook)

Options
I'm looking for some new books to read! Any ideas? List your THREE favourite, can't-live-without books only (to keep the lists manageable!)

My favs include:
-"Thrive" by Brendan Brazier, Vegan Tri-Athelete (and CANADIAN!)
-"Moosewood Cooking for Health"

Replies

• Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Vegan Yum Yum, Vegan Brunch, and Appetite For Destruction
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Get it Ripe and Ripe From Around Here by Jae Steele. The China Study.

Hoping to get Veganomicon next. Or perhaps something by Esselstyn or Barnard. :)
  • ElyssaElizabeth
    Options
    @ NGMama: I love Veganomicon! Highly recommended

My top three are..."Vegan with a Vengence" (best recipies), "Vegan Freak" (good general lifestyle advice, plus a fun read), and "Becoming Vegan" (indespensible health and nutrition advice; I go back to look stuff up a lot).
  • nevadjinn
    nevadjinn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or the Dog by Gary Francione. I'll admit that I haven't finished it. But what I did read made animal rights make sense to me. It's radical, but his argument is brilliant. I probably wouldn't be a vegan today if it weren't for that book.

This is gonna sound weird, but the fantasy novel Eragon. The elves are vegan and the protagonist becomes vegan. The author's explanation of their veganism is simple and compelling.

Dispatches from Hell: a Vegan's Guide to Love, Sex, Relationships, and Other Suicidal Tendencies. The guy who wrote it is a friend of the people who wrote Vegan Freak, so it's hilarious and *gasp* even more irreverent.
  • slinkygurl311
    Options
    "The Kind Diet"- by Alicia Silverstone. The first half is about Veganism and the second half is recipes! i've tried a ton of the recipes and have loved most of them.

"Skinny *****" i've only read this one, but there are also others. "skinny *****: bun in the oven" "Skinny ***** in the kitch"

"Vegan Yum Yum", i just got this for Xmas so i've only tried a few recipes, but i like them! yummy snickerdoodles. :)
  • ajhaines5
    Options
    "Rebar" by Alsterberg & Urbanowicz is the cookbook associated with a vegetarian restaurant in Vancouver, BC. While not all vegan, the recipes can easily be adapted and they are delicious.

"Appetite for Reduction" and "Veganomicon" both by Moskowitz, of course.
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    1. Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and 2. The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan: Both are about the effect on animal welfare, the environment, and humane working conditions of factory farming. Becoming vegan had to be more than just "diet" for me. Once I saw how the meat industry dehumanizes workers, keeps animals in concentration camp conditions, and is environmentally unsustainable, I stopped wanting to eat "more than my share" of the world's food resources.

3. The Happy Herbivore Cookbook by Lindsay Nixon. I love her simple and delicious recipes, her blog, and her positive attitude about veganism. She believes in being friendly rather than militant to help draw others to our lifestyle.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    (1) The Happy Herbivore - Pretty much everything I've had in there has been delicious
    (2) Anything by Colleen Patrick Goudreau - Her recipes are easy and healthful and eased me into veganism
    (3) Appetite For Reduction - The newest addition to my bookshelf, these are all low fat vegan recipes.
  • RealChange31
    RealChange31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks for the responses, everyone! I can't wait to hit up the local library to try some of these out!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    1. "The Engine 2 Diet," by Rip Esselstyn, former Texas firefighter and triathlete. This is the book that got me off of being an overweight vegetarian and into being a full-time vegan (mostly). It's full of helpful information and inspiring stories. They prefer to call the diet "eating plant-strong" rather than vegan, but it amounts to the same thing.

2. "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes without Drugs," by Dr. Neal Barnard. This is the diet I follow most closely, vegan, very low-fat, natural foods. It's similar to the Engine 2 Diet but also emphasizes low-glycemic foods. I highly recommend this book for any vegan diabetics out there.

That's it for me. I've got a bunch of other vegan cookbooks and diet plans that I'm currently browsing, but none of them have leaped out at me as a #3 choice.
  • emily8442
    Options
    Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer is really a great all-around look at the meat/dairy industries. It makes a lot of interesting arguments and is not too pushy. Great if you want to introduce to someone else in your life why you went vegan because it's somewhat objective.

and agree with other posters -
    Appetite for Reduction has great recipes
    Skinny B**ch is hilarious
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    1. Anything from Colleen Patrick
    2. The Happy Herbivore
    3. How it all Vegan

I am not here to sabotage anyone, but for a nice treat "Sinfully Vegan" has nice deserts for your off day.
  • vegankim
    vegankim Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like Alicia Simpson's "Vegan Comfort Food". Great basic recipes and sauces.
  • MirelaH
    MirelaH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    1,000 Vegan Recipes is my favorite cookbook. And I also love Vegonomicon and the 30 Minute Vegan cookbooks.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • amoeba15
    amoeba15 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Appetite For Reduction
    Eat Vegan On $4 A Day
    The Happy Herbivore
  • anastasiawildflower
    Options
    1. Vegan Sourcebook- so jam-packed with information on everything from the history of veg*nism to circuses to nutritional aides.
    2. How it all Vegan by Tanya Bernard and Sarah Kramer- I love these two like crazy.
    3. The Vegan Lunchbox- absolutely amazing ideas for lunch, whether you have a kid or not. :)
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson. It's vegetarian with some vegan recipes... but every single thing I've made from there or her blog (101cookbooks.com) has been just amazing.

Also support Veganomicon.

Spork Fed!