How long does it take to feel REALLY good?

Options
I see that many of you have been vegan for months or years. I am new to this, having been fully vegan only since January 1. So many vegans say they feel "clear headed" and extremely energetic. I feel virtuous, but I can't say I've noticed any other major effects. Is that something that could still happen to me? My energy level is probably average, even though I sleep well, exercise a few days a week, and eat well.

Replies

• RealChange31
    RealChange31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello and congrats on your new lifestyle!

It can sometimes depend on how you ate before becoming Vegan. Did you eat much meat and dairy before January 1? If not, you might not see a huge change right away, but keep with it and you will.

When I became Vegan, I started feeling really good within the first month. BUT I had been eating lower carb and a lot of meat and dairy prior-to that. So the change was expected!

Also, about 5 months in, my skin and hair really started to glow. Keep with it!

Amber
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I was vegan a few times once for almost a year. Currently I'm veg. I really can't say I felt much different but I did loose weight. But I think that's just me I really don't seem to feel the effects of my diet changes much.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    The longest stretch I ever had was 2 years of veganism, and by the end I didn't feel a huge difference aside from sensing my arteries being happier with less cholesterol, which might've been all in my head! However I do know it's a healthy way to live, which is part of why I've been trying again. Going on 7 months now this time. One thing I do notice: no chest pains. I was getting chest pains when I wasn't vegan.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    For me, it really depends on how my good vegan diet is. When I am cooking everything and using very little oil/fat and upping my organic fruit and veg, and eating a lot of beans and legumes and avoiding anything even lightly processed (daiya, crackers, canned soup, etc), I feel my best.
    The key for me is balance and I am getting there. If you dont feel much different than when you were consuming dairy, I would cut off things like fake meat, crackers, daiya or soy cheese and go really whole for awhile. Beans and rice cooked in vegetable broth with organic veggies and organic oatmeal instead of boxed cereal and lots of fresh fruit and veg.

Are you taking a multivitamin?
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Meant "how good my vegan diet is" :-)
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I got some good feedback from your replies. I did ease into veganism by cutting out beef last summer, then chicken and eggs, then milk, and finally cheese on Jan. 1. So it wasn't an extreme change for me.

As far as processed foods, I am sure I could do a little better with that. I think I eat well, but I sometimes have canned soups, pretzels, and other things that have a lot of sodium or are made with refined flour. I guess my next goal can be to eat as much home-prepared whole foods as possible.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Yeah I definitely think that eating clean is just as important as eating vegan. I started eating clean about 6 months before I really gave up meat, until then I was buying local chicken raised without chemicals and lots of whole gains and fresh produce. I would have greek yogurt and feta cheese on occasion and things like that. I noticed a big difference when I got rid of refined foods, especially crappy bread. I would buy bread at the farmer's market or buy ezekiel bread at the health food store.

Then I gave up the chicken and cheese and felt good as long as I keep eating clean. If I have soda or french fries I get a 'food hangover" and feel like crap the next morning. That makes it was easier to stick to my healthy foods! :laugh:
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think if you ease into it, your experience will be different from someone who jumps in feet first. :^) That'd be me. I went from omnivore to vegan and the biggest difference wasn't in a clear head or more energy, but a happy tummy. My myriad stomach issues disappeared. I think that living without the stomach pain gave me more energy and a clearer head! I definitely feel better overall.

Congratulations on your new way of eating.
  • apachemom4
    Options
    I have been fully vegan for 3 wks and I was wondering the same thing, The biggest thing I noticed was my stomach feels so much better it used to get bloated and it looked like I was pregnant again after almost everything I ate.I havent had that problem at all my energy is the same not a huge difference either.I will also say I feel a little more emotional i dont know if that has to do with it.
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    For me the best part was getting rid of migraines I had suffered with since age 9! I had no idea that wold append when had tried everything else but it did. I totally agree though, just being vegan won't do it, you need to consume fresh, healthy foods. Move gotten into green smoothies lately and I'm enjoying them a lot.

Good luck and happy transitioning!!!
  • kalepowered
    kalepowered Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations! For me, when I went vegan every day was a little mini-milestone to be proud about, until now it's just part of who I am. It's an awesome transition. :) Before I went vegan, I had been vegetarian for 9 years, but consumed ridiculous amounts of cheese, dairy, eggs, and processed foods. I felt a change in myself almost immediately. I no longer felt gross or "fat" as if I'd eaten too much after a meal (even if I had a big meal), and I felt like I had a lot more energy. Since going vegan, my skin has become a lot less oily - I used to have crazy oily skin, and fairly soon after making the switch I lost a little over ten pounds from my diet change alone (I wasn't exercising at all at that point). I attribute a lot of the "good health" feelings I get from my diet to the fact that I've cut out almost all processed crap from my diet, and only use it as a rare treat (Primal Strips just keep calling to me). It's very possible to be a "bad" vegan and spend all your time eating processed, oily, sugary junk just as you can as an omni/vegetarian.