making a non-race bike more raceable

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
I'm signed up for an Xterra race this summer and am starting to think about which bike I want to use and how to set it up.

I've got a Yeti 575 that is built up as a trailbike. It's not heavy and bombproof, but it's sure as hell isn't a race bike. I've also got a Surly 1x1 built on a budget - not light, not really heavy either.

I can put gears on the Surly and end up with a solid but heavy geared hardtail.
I can stiffen up the suspension slighly on the Yeti to make a heavy but good pedaling trail bike.

At this point I'm leaning towards the yeti as I think suspension will be a good thing, even if it's only to add a bit of comfort for the middle leg of the race.

Thoughts?

Replies

• h0m36r0wn
    Options
    I don't race myself and don't know your yeti build, but also have a 575 and would not hesitate to use it. I'm over 200 and have put that bike through hell and it keeps going! Only major change I've made to it since purchase is a set of easton havoc wheels from pricepoint. tighten up your shocks, change dampening settings on the course to match the terrain and you should do well with it.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    h0m36r0wn has a good handle on it. Don't know what kind of courses you're looking at but I would definitely look at upgrading your wheelset especially if there are any kinds of drops. I'd also definitely go with disc brakes. Although a small detail a lot of racers change their tire patterns/widths per the course, i.e. wider mud-shedding larger paddle lugs for extra-muddy courses, narrow well-tracking high-pressure for dry courses, wider large lugged low-pressure for negotiating and rolling larger rocks and roots, etc. I raced mainly cross-country mountain bike courses throughout AR, OK, MO, and LA for a few years. Those weren't endurance races and we don't have many drops over 24" that you would want to soar over so I stuck with a fairly low-travel, very light-weight full-suspension that I adjusted to my weight and the course. I know quite a few racers who still prefer hardtails for short races (under 3-4 hours). When it comes to endurance races I prefer a plusher ride due to the hours in the saddle. A few extra pounds on the bike is worth it then.

Hope this helps. I'd be interested in hearing about your races as you complete them so keep us updated.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Here are the highlights:

Yeti 575
    5th element
    TALAS 150 RL w/ 20mm TA
    Fulcrum wheelset w/ Kenda/Michelin tires
    Hope hydraulics
    Sram x7/x0 der/shifters

Surly 1x1
    RS Recon 100mm (probably replacing with a Talas R 125 soon)
    DT swiss wheelset w/ kenda/mich tires
    Avid mechanicals

So both bikes can definitely handle the course, and I'm sure I'd be fine on either. The SS will be faster on most courses, but the Yeti will definitely be more comfortable and allow me to conserve some energy for the run if need be. Obviously there is less that can fail/break/go wrong on the Surly.
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Without spending proper money I think it would be pretty tough to turn either of those bikes into full on race bikes. If you think the single speed is going to be quicker go for that. Racing is about speed not comfort.

Do you have fast rolling tyres on the single speed? I use large volume tyres on my rigid and that helps smooth out a lot of the small bumps that shake your teeth out.

Does the hardtail have a smaller fork that wouldn't screw the handling on the yeti? Another idea could be to swap the forks over for the day to lighten the front end a touch on the full suss and make it easier to peddle. Less slack geometry should make climbing a touch a faster.

That Yeti looks like a nice bike by the way. :)
  • sgtbrown
    sgtbrown Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The best mod you could do to your bike to shave a little weight is by going tubeless. You can use products such as Stans NoTubes, which is what I use. There are other brands out there. The kit is easy to install and you can use your existing wheelset. If you are willing to spend a bit, a lighter wheelset with light race tires with folding bead will make huge difference in your speed and stamina because it is "rotating" weight. Good luck. Oh....I'd use the Yeti. You'll appreciate the full suspension after the first 50 miles. Ride on.