How does diet and exercise help your RA?

Options
Ok, so motivation time! I have been doing this for almost 2 weeks. :) And already I have seen a HUGE difference in my arthritis. When I wake up I'm stiff like normal, but instead of taking up to 3 hours for my joint to not hurt (and sometimes more) They feel great in about 10 to 15 minutes!!!!

I have noticed that after i take my off day of working out my joints ache the next day. SO i have come to the conclusion, exercising has helped the pain go away immensely. :) I have not had to take my Tramadol in 5 days!!!! I am seeing if i can go longer by continuing to eat right and exercise. (still on my methotrexate obviously but yeah no pain meds. :))

So, how has living a healthy lifestyle helped you? :)

Replies

• jrgold
    jrgold Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just started a GF free diet about a week or so ago as well! So far I havent really noticed a difference. However I havent been eating GREAT, but now that I am back at school I plan on eating a lot healthier so I will have to see.

To be honest, I guess I am not expecting much. I have done this before and I felt good doing it, but IDK if it actually helped my joints. Still I am going to continue being gluten free, since it actually has not been hard for me at all.

Question: HOW gluten free are you? Since I dont have celiacs, I will still eat things that say "may contain traces of gluten' on the label.
  • SamanthaWrenn2012
    Options
    I really should be completely gluten free... However, I live on a campus that has a cafeteria... So most of the food is processed which contains gluten. Like today I had a serving of cheese crackers, when i got done eating them my lips tingled. So I made the mental check of can't eat gluten for a while... If the gluten levels get high in my system then my lungs close, and as i get older it doesn't take much for me to notice my lips or mouth the feel funny after I eat gluten foods. I have a rice cooker in my room, and in the cafeteria i eat baked chicken and things like that. It's rough sometimes lol
  • jrgold
    jrgold Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wait so, did you just start eating gluten free, or did you just start eating healthy?

Yeah I also live on campus but I have a kitchen. However I have done the cafeteria thing for a number of years and it is very hard!
  • willdytryin
    willdytryin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As a newbie to MFP - I don't have significant results yet to base an answer on. I always included exercise in my daily routine. I stopped intially before my diagnosis when the pain made it unbearable to move for about 1 year, it took that long to get a definitive diagnosis. When I was diagnosed and it has been a good 4 years now, I sort of thought, I had better get moving before I seize up and can't move anymore. It just never dawned on me that gaining weight was hurting my range of motion. Out of the blue in November I just decided - enough, I was done, and I needed to get control over my life and my disease. I am hoping dropping weight is the magic bullet that takes me down the road to less medication. I am not sure just how much weight will make a difference but I am looking forward to finding out.
  • SamanthaWrenn2012
    Options
    I was diagnosed celiac when i was about 8 or 9. I went strict gluten free, and through the years i eat some, then get a serious reaction. go strict, then eat some, reaction... lol its a cycle. As i get older it gets worse. When i graduate in MAY!!! (i'm not excited) I will be able to go completely gluten free. When i go home for vacation i eat strict but at school its very hard.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've noticed ever since I stopped eating refined sugars, my R.A. symptoms decrease immensely. Anyone else experience this?
  • SamanthaWrenn2012
    Options
    I have :) I hate some ice cream sunday type thing last night and my hands ache. Thankfully i'm not a sweet tooth person, but when i do eat stuff like that I notice.
  • amaryllis88
    amaryllis88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a significant decrease in my paint/joint stiffness after I've been exercising. I began exercising regularly this past August, and slowly, but surely, it's amazing. My doctor has been trying to wean me off the prednisone, and usually in the past, before I started exericising, it was painful for me to drop down even a miligram, but since I've been working out, the miligram difference isn't affecting me as much as it used to. I'm totally surprised, I'm hoping that if I continue to work out regularly, that I can get off my meds altogether, because that would be so wonderful!
  • SamanthaWrenn2012
    Options
    That's wonderful I had to go off prednisone all at once because of stomach bleeding, and was put on Tramadol, but since I work out my joints don't hurt. I notice that if i dont work out for a day my joints will ache the next day lol its one of my other motivators to keep working out :)
  • cedelaney
    cedelaney Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been jogging again since September, after a year and a half of inactivity due to lupus and RA. I too notice that I often feel stiffer if I don't exercise every day or every second day. Despite what common sense and every trainer I know told me, I feel more pain in my knees when I'm on the elliptical machine and the bike. I don't know why, but I rarely feel knee or ankle pain when I jog, but sometimes I get hip pain for awhile until I work it out. My wrists bother me the most and it gets worse when I lift weights too often. I use wrist guards while lifting and I do think it helps. Anyhow....tangent....I find that my painkiller usage varies and I haven't seen a consistent or significant decrease in my usage since starting to exercise regularly and according to my rheumatologist, I'll never get off of the anti-inflammatories.

What I think makes a huge difference is that exercise helps my mental and emotional stability and it definitely helps with stress. If any of you are considering starting an exercise plan, then this is the big pay off: stress reduction. I find that those days when my joints are stiff and hurting are easier to bear mentally now. I know that one day soon I'll have a good day (or several) and I get less depressed about having lupus/RA.
  • letsgetit
    letsgetit Posts: 33
    Options
    exercise def helps with my joints. Ive never tried the gluten thing, but I do have a sweet tooth and ive given up candy for almost 6 weeks now and I still have flare ups. Im going to see if gradually over time they become less frequent because its not like i need the sweets anyway, my waistline shows the difference even if my joints dont lol.