What is your definition of skinny fat?

Options
MJ7910
MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
certain body fat percentage despite being at a good BMI?
just dont' have much visible muscle?

share please...

Replies

• rosten9599
    Options
    my definition of 'skinny' used to be based on weight. However, I did a fitness profile at the gym and learned that even though I was considered 'normal' weight, almost 1/3 of my body was fat, and fit-wise, i was more like a 45 year old, verses 37. I working really hard at learning how to eat right and make lifestyle changes that make me overall healthier. I would say now my definition is more based body fat percentage. In the past few months, I've gone from 31% to 26% and I'm getting re-measured this week. I've been working out (not completely constantly) for 6 moths and I've only lost 6 lbs, but i fit in pants yesterday that I haven't been able to wear for a couple years, AND they were loose! Yippee!!!
  • orionling
    orionling Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    To me, part of it has to do with muscle tone. I'm at my "ideal" weight. I'm well within my normal range concerning BMI. BUT...I'm not toned. I'd like to have more muscle definition and less squishy parts. I hope that makes sense. My other definition of skinny fat is someone who is not overweight but also does not excercise. So while they appear fit, they might not necessarily be.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Ditto for the last two posts: I consider someone skinny fat if they don't try to stay healthy (eat whatever/don't exercise) and if their body fat or another health indicator is that of a unhealthy person. My body fat % when I started MFP a year ago was almost 32%, and now it is down to 25ish%. I want to get it to 20-22% before I can consider myself in shape. I have always been small because of my petite frame, but have never but effort into it. I've seen morbidly obese people work out waaaay harder/better than me.
  • iwannagetfitrightnow
    Options
    To me, part of it has to do with muscle tone. I'm at my "ideal" weight. I'm well within my normal range concerning BMI. BUT...I'm not toned. I'd like to have more muscle definition and less squishy parts. I hope that makes sense. My other definition of skinny fat is someone who is not overweight but also does not excercise. So while they appear fit, they might not necessarily be.

Yep. I think this. A lot of people in our group have a metabolism where we can get away with not watching what we eat or working out consistently and still looking pretty thin (w clothes on especially); but our fitness levels and eating levels could definitely be improved. I also prefer the look of a more toned body than just being overall thin.. you know where you look good in a bikini... I thought it would be good to have a group where we aren't looking for huge weight loss results but trying to get in really great shape overall.
  • Gladiolus
    Gladiolus Posts: 20
    Options
    Being in a healthy weight range, but an unhealthy body fat percentage range.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm on the higher end of the "healthy" range for BMI, and I would say I'm skinny fat. (Although sometimes I just feel FAT, not "skinny" at all.) But I don't think the numbers matter. To me, "skinny fat" is anyone who is called skinny often/has a healthy weight, but maybe doesn't feel skinny herself. Either way, it's a body that isn't overweight, but could use some toning and exchanging some muscle for existing fat. I think if someone FEELS "skinny fat," then they probably are.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    When someone is underweight or at healthy BMI but has a body fat percentage greater than 25% (woman) or 18% (man). Visually speaking the majority of the average people including celebrities & models fall into this category. That is when a person is thin but lacks muscle tone & has saggy arms & butt, cellulite or a belly pooch. He/she looks OK in clothes however it is very different when you see them in swimwear or naked.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It's when you say "I am on a diet" and everyone thinks "WTF??".
  • MeowserKitty
    MeowserKitty Posts: 185
    Options
    Me basically.
    I'm considered thin for my height. Nearing the underweight range. 115 and 5'5, yet under clothes I am jiggly and have a bit of a pooch (Not huge, but bigger than you'd expect at my size)